1password for logins requiring the user to enter an always-changing character string

Options
pboutet
pboutet
Community Member

I have a question regarding the settings I need to have to access a site that needs to be signed in using a username, a password, and an always-changing character string the user has to enter from a displayed picture on the login site. I have created the login info in 1password, but when I try to login using it, I can’t create the behavior that I’d like which is: 1password fills out the username and password, then just wait until I manually enter the character string from the picture. Is this something that is possible? if yes, how can I do it?
I tried to play with the submit setting, but with no success.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to play with the submit setting, but with no success.

I think the setting you want is Never submit. Have you tried that? If so and it still doesn't work, please tell us exactly what happens when you try to use 1P to login—and also how you're trying to login (e.g., ⌘\ shortcut or some other way).

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Like Stephen_C suggests, the Never submit setting for the submit option is what we would recommend. With this the login should (as the setting indicates) never attempt to submit the login after filling. It's what I use for testing purposes as most sites I'm testing I don't have working logins for.

If you're still having trouble would you be able to supply the URL please and we'll take a look and see if we can help.

• pboutet
    pboutet
    Community Member
    Options

I tried Never Submit. It fills out the username and password correctly and stops. Then, when I enter the character string, the site tells me it does not recognizes my username and password. Playing furthermore with it, I realized that when 1password fills the password, it seems to add 7 additional characters to it. When I delete manually on the site the 7 additional characters before hitting the login button, it works. Now, what is weird is that I tried to re-create the 1password login entry in 1password. I first deleted it. Then I entered manually my password and username on the site, plus the character string. 1password asked me if I wanted to create a new entry, as it should. When I said yes, 1password created a new login entry saving the username correctly, but saving the password less 7 characters. It literally ignored the 7 last characters That behavior does not happen for other sites. Not sure what explains it. The site is HOUSELOAN.COM, which is the site owned by Cornerstone Lending.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@pboutet - You are describing what happens when a site has a maximum number of characters allowed for a password. Sometimes such sites don't even tell you there is a maximum. But when you let 1Password automatically fill your password, all the characters, including the excess, get submitted and are then rejected because those seven extra characters are submitted, but don't match what the site actually recorded, which is N-7. I have this issue on a financial site I use regularly.

And when you type in the password manually or copy and paste it into the field, the site stops recording keystrokes when you reach the maximum allowable number of chargers, even though you continue entering. Those extra keystrokes aren't submitted, and you then have a password that matches what the site recorded.

I would be very surprised if you don't get success if you shorten your password by seven characters and use that.

Sites that do this, especially when they don't specify a maximum number of allowable characters for the password, are really annoying!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pboutet,

Please do let us know how you get along with hawkmoth's post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.