Firefox extension is a big laggy, opens in a new window instead, and the UI could use a bit of TLC

claudiu
claudiu
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I upgraded from 1password 3 for mac and bought a bundle license to include windows too. Never have I thought that the windows app is so much worst than the mac one. There are 2 completely different products and shouldn't be sold together. Or this is the only way people are fouled and end up buying the windows version? The firefox extenson is so laggy and it always opens things in a new window. Tried the chrome one too, it does not prompt me to save my logins. When will the windows app be updated or have I bought it for nothing?

Thanks,
Claudiu

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@claudiu: I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with 1Password for Windows. We do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, so you are more than welcome to a refund if you're not satisfied. Just say the word and we'll take care of you! :+1:

That said, I'll be happy to address the specific issues you mentioned. Most importantly, 1Password for Windows is not 1Password for Mac and isn't intended to be. We believe in having the app fit the target platform (rather than trying to make a carbon copy of another), and it sounds like maybe you're just not a big Windows fan. I know it can be jarring to go back and forth between OSes! If you have specific suggestions about improvements you'd like to see in 1Password for Windows (or our documentation) in the future, we'd love to hear them. The feedback is always appreciated! :)

Regarding updates, 1Password for Windows is in active development, and new versions are released fairly frequently. The 4.3 update came out about a week ago, and there have been a few betas since then even.

As for Firefox, I am not seeing the lag issue you describe on Windows 8.1 with Firefox 36.0.4. Which version are you using? Also, in the 1Password extension, just go Settings > Open Login In > to customize how logins are opened (New Tab/New Window/Current Tab).

In Chrome (Version 41.0.2272.101 m -- yikes), 1Password prompted me to save a new login on the websites I tested. Are you having this issue on specific sites? Also be sure that Settings > Auto-Save Logins is enabled, and that you don't have the URL saved under "Avoid Auto-Save on these Domains" (in 1Password File > Preferences > Auto-Save).

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• claudiu
    claudiu
    Community Member

Thanks for the hint about Settings > Open Login In.

On the contrary, I am a windows fan and I've used windows all my life and just started recently with mac. Ugly design doesn't mean it is windows design. windows evolved from XP and in windows 8 you can see that 1password design doesn't fit at all. I've seen on your discussion forum that you want to keep windows feel, but I see that you want to keep XP feel, not windows8 feel, which is more or less the same as mac.

Best,
    Claudiu

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@claudiu Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Yes we can improve on our design but it isn't all that different from 1Password 4 for Mac.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @claudiu,

We're actually using many of the native components given by Microsoft and while not supported, 1Password 4 does run on XP.

I've seen on your discussion forum that you want to keep windows feel, but I see that you want to keep XP feel, not windows8 feel, which is more or less the same as mac.

It really depends on your definition of "feel". We are trying to retain the native experience of each platform, the design isn't a sole component of the experience but it is a part of it. We do not want to port the same Mac experience to Windows, it wouldn't fit properly as you can see from Apple's Safari and iTunes application on Windows, which looks awkward. 1Password on Windows is built to be a Windows app, not a specific version of Windows and certainly not a Mac app running on Windows. However, that doesn't mean we cannot improve our interface, we have some big dreams of updating our interface and it's on our general list to do for the future.

If there is something very specific you don't like, please let us know as we might do something quick for it and if not, it'll go on our list for the future.

As for Windows 8, are you referring to the Modern UI interface? If yes and you have a touchscreen like Surface or other devices like it, we actually have a separate team working on the 1Password app for Windows Modern, which might work for you depending on what you need. However, there will be some restrictions as the Modern Windows apps are extremely sandboxed compared to Windows desktop applications like 1Password. If you want, you can sign up for the alpha testing of the 1Password Modern app if you want here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch, @MikeT I still think that a three vertical pane why like the, I think, default view on Mac and go a long way to silencing the complaints about the UI.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@RichardPayne: It may be that some folks would prefer the 3-pane view (or Miller Columns), although I haven't seen this request often. It may be too similar to Finder's (neé NextStep's File Viewer) Column View.

In all honesty, it never would have even occurred to me, since I actually have it set up on my Mac like 1Password for Windows (View > Item List Layout > Top in 1Password for Mac). Thanks for bringing this up! I guess I am just old-fashioned. ;)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

I'm with @brenty (does that make me old-fashioned?)

I'm running 1Password for Mac in "item list on top" mode, which makes it rather identical to 1Password for Windows:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@brenty I've seen it numerous times on the forum. Personally I'd prefer it, although I'm not that bothered. The current Windows views does the job.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne: Certainly something to consider for the future -- so long as we still have the option to use the top-list view. Until now I hadn't realized why I like this view so much, but it's because it lets me keep a smaller window size while still having horizontal space to view item details. With svondutch around I think it's safe though. ;)

This discussion has been closed.