Wrong version of mini launching

Options
rbearit
rbearit
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

1Password 5.3 on Yosemite 10.10.2
Error: The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini. I use SuperDuper to clone my boot drive. A backup of the boot drive has taken place since installing 1P 5.3. The advice on the Learn more... link, disconnect your backup drive before launching 1P is not feasible. Any other solution?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rbearit,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Unfortunately, OS X will try to launch the incorrect version of mini if more than one is present. This is a bug we've been hoping Apple would fix, but so far the only work around we know of is to make sure that only one copy of mini is present on the system.

Can you help me understand why you are unable to disconnect the backup drive while no backup is currently in progress? Maybe we can come up with a different solution for you if we know more about the circumstances.

• rbearit
    rbearit
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hello khad,

Allow me to clarify.

1. My SuperDuper drive is in a daisy chain of 3 Thunderbolt connected drives which do not have on/off switches. Only unplugging the cable or power supply would shut down the backup drive. Could unmount it I suppose, but, there are other items on the drive. If you unplug the Tbolt cable you break the chain, more than one drive would go offline. Too much trouble to unplug the power supply due to location on and behind a work station.

2. The installed copy of 1Password on the boot drive has already been copied to the backup drive so how can their be an incorrect version being loaded? To my knowledge an incorrect version does not exist.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for those additional details, @rbearit. That is very helpful indeed. I'll answer your second question first.

The copy of 1Password mini being launched from your external drive, while it may be identical, is still not being launched from your startup drive which can cause problems. One very simple example of this is if the drive does get disconnected (or simply loses power) while 1Password mini is running (which should be all the time if you are using the browser extension[s]).

Unmounting would be a great solution if that worked for you. I really wish we had a better workaround to this OS X bug, but right now it is best to simply disconnect the drive.

That said, it would be possible to simply delete the 1Password.app from the backup drive since you could easily download a fresh copy if you ever needed to restore from that backup. Then exclude 1Password.app from future backups, so the problem doesn't recur.

I hope that helps. Again, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

"Other items on the drive". If you mean that the drive has several partitions, then it is easy to unmount just one partition. Of course, that would not work if you mean that you actually need access to other files on the same partition.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I just came across the following post in another forum. Maybe this explains the issue, and maybe the update to OS 10.10.3 has solved it. Time will tell.

"The most likely explanation is that Launch Services is able to remember the specific version number or location of the default application, if there are multiple applications with the same bundle identifier. Previously [ that is, before 10.10.3] it would always launch the latest version with the same bundle identifier."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco: Yes! I'm hoping this works 'as advertised', as it would go a long way to curing everyone's launchd woes. As you say, "Time will tell."

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

What worked for me was to refresh 1Password in the Dock to have it pointing to the right volume/folder

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma: Oh wow! Your 1Password Dock icon was pointing to the wrong copy? I'll admit I'd never considered that as a possibility, but it certainly makes sense now that you mention it. Thanks for sharing that information! :)

This discussion has been closed.