Benefit of Optimizing Database?

Options
trico21
trico21
Community Member

Under 'Help' there are options under tools to "optimize database' and to 'Remove Redundant Generated Passwords.' The handbook didn't state the importance of either. Is there a benefit?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to your second question, Remove Redundant Generated Passwords will delete for you generated passwords stored in the Passwords category which are linked to logins you have specifically saved. If you have in the Passwords category generated passwords which are not linked to specifically saved login items those passwords will not be deleted.

I suspect the optimisation of the database is not something you'd normally do unless AgileBits suggests it specifically—but I'm afraid I've not found much about it so will have to leave that part to someone more expert: sorry.

Stephen

• Hi @pat@trico21.com,

We don't formally document what's behind Optimize Database as it can change between releases easily. Here's a list of some of the things it performs as of 5.3:

• Removes any URL fields in items that are empty
    • Removes any duplicate URL fields in items
    • Cleans up previously used passwords (any duplicates or empty ones get removed)
    • Removes duplicate custom fields
    • For logins specifically, it'll remove any custom field whose value matches the username or password
    • Removes any empty custom fields
    • Removes any conflict fields whose values match the current username or password
    • Removes the Conflicts section from an item if it's empty

Rick

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Removes any empty custom fields

Is this one is a problem? For users who want custom categories, the standard workaround advice here is to create an empty item, add the desired custom fields (leaving values empty) and then copy the item when a new entry is wanted.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

You make a good point. We'll have to look into that!

This discussion has been closed.