Can't remember master password, please someone help me!

Options
Vaultimore
Vaultimore
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Dear friends !
I've forgotten my vault password and know that's v hard but will try your fox later. Now I can't remember my login admin password (user pw at the start )on the laptop I used F1 on , so I can't even start it or use it My nephew thought he was being helpful , bless. Grr . Can anyone help, bearing in mind the usual options aren't there as it goes the firmware password page eventually so I can do any Carl c or whatever . Please help if you can - I have a PhD deadline but I am glad I back that up to the IMac

It is a MacBook Air 2 if that's needed , thank you .
I would be very grateful

Kind regards

Simon Mercer, UK

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be quite clear, I'm understanding:

1. You have forgotten your 1Password master password so can't access your 1P data.
    2. As a result of that, you can't log in on the laptop that is running 1P because you can't remember the password you need to log in on that laptop.

Is that correct? Sorry to appear obtuse but there is something odd about those two statements. You can't run 1P before you've booted your laptop—so you can't access 1P to get your laptop password in any event (if 1P is only on the laptop for which you need the password).

I'm also confused, in that context, by this statement:

I have a PhD deadline but I am glad I back that up to the IMac

From that do I take it that your usual procedure was to find the laptop login password on 1P running on the iMac? Do you have 1P running on the iMac?

Now I'm afraid the bad news is that if you really have forgotten your 1P master password there's no way you're going to be able to access your 1P data. There is no "back door" to that data (for obvious security reasons). The only thing I can do to try to help is to direct you to this knowledge base article which has a few tips which might help you to recall your master password—or to make it work again.

Stephen

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just browsing here. The original post is really muddled & confusing.
    From my read, its the MacBook’s admin password that is lost too.

How a machine admin password relates to 1P password makes no sense. Separate issue.

Was a boot disk ever created for the OS, or does the OP have a recent OS install disk?
    Then proceed to Apple site.

Oh, Like I should talk...
    Going through a vaguely similar situation.

Not that it helps:
    A rock solid offline backup scheme seems [to me] to be a very good idea when it comes to those FINAL passwords, recovery keys &/or security questions. The master to 1Password & Apple accounts specifically. Write them somewhere.

The one time you get sloppy is when it bites you.
    (Logical enough. If you have the information, all should work well; when you don’t, any trouble is big trouble).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RunInCircles,

Thanks for your input/suggestions! I wanted to mention that we don't recommend writing down your passwords, as that can compromise the security of the data protected by those passwords. It's a much better idea to memorize your master password for 1Password, as well as a few others you might need if/when you don't have access to 1Password (such as a password to log into/unlock your computer). Personally, I also have my Dropbox and Apple ID passwords memorized (although everyone's needs will be a bit different when it comes to which passwords they should know).

Just in case it helps, we have a great article here about how to choose a good, memorable master password (the advice is good for other passwords you need to memorize as well).

If you need anything else, please let us know!

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

OK, Thanks for your post & article link.
    I will shut up, rather than post misinformation about writing down passwords!

fwiw, I was referring only to the most crucial ones: 1Password Master & Apple ID.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@RunInCircles

There are others that disagree with me but my opinion is that some passwords SHOULD be written down AND PLACED IN MY SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX.

• Vaultimore
    Vaultimore
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, sorry, I have Parkinson's disease and have only been using apple for a couple of years and came across 1p when buying Parallels as it was an advert . What I did was install it on my MacBook Air. My MacBook Air already had admin password at the start on it. I ran ip, put the master password in and then left it , I meant to put it in my special secret place . Being started on a dopamine agonist gives me amnesia . When I started the laptop up I couldn't at first remember what my password was. After ten attempts it went to the black and white screen with the lock and I out box, I couldn't remember that . I tried to reset everything but you can't can you, that's the point of it . I can't reformat it. As for backing my PHD up, I send that via email to Evernote but that gives me no clue as to the passwords on the laptop. I do jot have Ip running on my iMac as the experience has petrified me. I'm sorry if the first message was unclear . This week is Parkinson's awareness week in the UK and whilst I dint tell you that, you may want to just consider that some of your words might be a tad harsh or hurtful , you don't know everyone's personal situations , but still that is my situation and you don't have to worry about that but as people I would urge you to perhaps be a little less judgemental, yes, it's absolutely dumb that I've done this and no doubt it will cost me but I didn't want a critical appraisal of my mental ability , especially as I have to take the medicines often so there are few lucid windows- I was just hoping there was a way to get my laptop restored via a log in or some other way, but it appears not from what I have read above. If anyone has any other solutions I would be grateful please but if not , thank you to those that politely clarified .Simon Mercer ( intelligence in other areas as I have 2 degrees and a masters and about to submit a PhD paper as I passed my verbal exams ).

• Vaultimore
    Vaultimore
    Community Member
    Options

Ps as the boot has a different password how can I find out what that was.mi have no disks, it's a MacBook Air and I didn't save anything .....very foolish I know .

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Vaultimore I have great sympathy for you, and understanding too, as my father had Parkinson's. I'm sorry that a number of us were puzzled by your first post and that it lead to some answers that probably haven't helped you much. Thank goodness you have a backup of the Ph.D. thesis!

As this forum is devoted to support of 1Password that's what most of us here know most about—and it's a bit of a dead end if you really can't recall your master password (for reasons which we now well understand).

I don't know if you're anywhere near an Apple Store—or indeed if you can conveniently get to one—but it may be worth asking for help there with the MacBook Air, if you can.

Please don't worry about running 1P on your iMac. There are a lot of really helpful people here who are only too happy to assist anyone who has problems with 1P. There are also some excellent user guides here.

Don't hesitate to post if you need more help any time with 1P—and the very best of luck with your thesis!

Stephen

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Tough row with Parkinson’s. You have my sympathy as well.

Nothing to find harsh or hurtful in these posts, however:
    If you mean my saying “Muddled & confusing” The opening post was unclear.
    That’s simply an observation & it gives you an opportunity to restate with more information.

If I can butt in one last time:
    From what you wrote most recently, I gather you are locked out of the laptop log-in itself.

• 1Password being inaccessible is a separate issue from your laptop log-in.
      The laptop log-in is your initial concern, imo.

AFTER regaining access to the laptop:

• Since you have a desktop too, is it running 1Password as well?
    • What are you locked out of, as a consequence of 1Password being locked?

Apple store in person might be the most useful place to see what can be done to access your computer: Since you need to do that first in the sequence - in order to even get to 1 Password. Just my opinion as a private user.

1Password works quite well. Once the laptop is sorted, its worth a good look.

• Vaultimore
    Vaultimore
    Community Member
    Options

iMac doesnt have it on
    Im locked out of my 1Password but the precursor to getting the firmware screen is me trying to get into the admin account, my own account on there!I feel such an idiot - is this salvagable ? I dont care about the disk or anything I wont upgrade as its a mcbook air - quite happy with light and fluffy front end and carrying it. I just need original log in after starting up the laptop
    Simon

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I am not clear if you actually have a FIRMWARE password or if you are referring to an administrator password. The former is unusual and can only be reset by an Apple authorised dealer to whom you have given proof that you own the machine.

The latter can be rest by pressing cmd-R at startup, which gets you into the recovery partition. In the utilities menu there is a reset password item, if my memory is correct. You will lose access to your old keychain, though

• Vaultimore
    Vaultimore
    Community Member
    Options

Danco - you are not wrong, it is rare. I have no idea why it came up - I was typing to get into my admin account, and realised my nephew had been on it, so he may have done this as a joke but a less funny one. I kept trying to find my p/w and suddenly black screen comes up with a white padlock. It is a firmware pasword but I have no recollection of how I set that - unfortunately Parkinsons can give you amnesia. Any how - unfortunately you cannot use the normal commands to get out of it such as CMD R as they just bring up the firmware page. I dont know any more than that. Thanks for trying - there is no utlities menu either.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@Vaultimore, I'm very sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your MacBook Air! If the suggestions from others here don't help, it sounds like you'll need to contact Apple for help with that.

As for 1Password, if you only have it installed on the MacBook Air that isn't working, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do until it's working again. Do you have a backup of your MacBook Air from before you were locked out? If so, we can help you restore your 1Password data from that backup to your iMac. Or if you had set up Dropbox or iCloud sync in 1Password, you should be able to sync that data using 1Password on your iMac. But if you don't have any backups and weren't using a sync option (so your 1Password data exists only on the MacBook Air), the only way to access your 1Password data will be if you're able to unlock your MacBook.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! Hopefully Apple will be able to help with your MacBook Air. If you have more questions about 1Password, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: INY-68528-569

• Vaultimore
    Vaultimore
    Community Member
    Options

I hope we as 800 quids worth of machine would be dire on human error, on my part. I apologise if I am not replying on the correct channels . I've uninstalled the software now on the iMac, I can't do a thing with the MacBook Air .
    Best wishes
    Simon

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I sympathize with Vaultimore - dealing with computers can be tough. If you are a bit vague on how they really work, as I am, you often need some help from a good technical advisor. When I was working my employer had a good IT staff that could always help, but now that I'm retired I'm on my own. I mostly use Macs, which I find to be a bit easier to understand than Windows PCs. I also purchase AppleCare. I have received excellent help from their telephone and shared screen advisors on many occasions. I have never found an equivalent good "human" help service for Windows.

Regarding 1P master passwords, I have found the 1P Secure Notes to be a great resource for saving important information in addition to my web site logins. I keep all of my computer Admin and User login passwords, plus my home wifi network and my router passwords, in 1P notes. If I forget everything and can't even login to my own computers I can still download and install 1P on another computer and access all my forgotten info. This puts a lot of importance on having, and remembering, a very secure 1P password. Since I use my 1P password every day I don't have any problem remembering it. But I know that if I am ever sick and off my computers for a month, or if I have a slight stroke, or if my mother's and grandmother's Alzheimers begins to set in, I could easily forget my IP master password.

My solution has been to write down my 1P master password and keep it in my safe deposit box. I have never had to refer to it, but if I ever need it I know it can be retrieved.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fourwheelcycle, thank you for your input! I agree, solving issues on computers can sometimes be tough. I'm very fortunate to work with some extremely smart people who I can turn to for help if I need to. I've also found that Apple has been very helpful in the rare situations where I've had a problem with one of their products.

Storing your master password in a safe deposit box is definitely a great idea if you need to write it down! :) You might be interested in the 1Password Emergency Kit that was created by some of our users a while ago. Basically, it's a PDF file you can use to write down important information like your master password, and other important things you might need to know if you can't access 1Password.

@Vaultimore, no need to apologize at all, I'm just sorry we weren't able to do more to help! Sometimes we're able to help with issues that aren't directly related to 1Password, but in this situation it sounds like Apple is your best chance for solving the problem with your Mac. If you're able to bring your MacBook Air to an Apple Store (as Stephen previously mentioned) they'll do the best they can to help. Otherwise, you'll definitely want to contact Apple Support.

I sincerely hope it all works out well for you! Please let us know how it goes, and if there's anything else we can do to help.

This discussion has been closed.