First impressions: [Hi-DPI support, network requests thread, modal focus, and many more]

Options
ptr727
ptr727
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, long time eWallet user, and eWallet Go, on Windows, iOS, and Android, synced using Dropbox.
I just imported my eWallet into P1, and I'd like to give some feedback on obvious app improvements.

I am a developer by trade, and in my humble opinion the items below are defects, and UX and first impressions are king in the land of consumer software.

Blurry UI fonts:
The Windows UI is blurry on high DPI displays, like my Surface Pro 3.
This is very typical of apps that are using improper rendering, e.g. painting pixels instead of points, or a poor choice of 2D accelerated font rendering engine.

Modal UI focus:
When performing tasks like import or download icons, the task UI, and the task complete UI does not set the main UI as parent. Thus while the task UI is open, clicking on the taskbar icon for the main UI, or trying to focus the main UI appears to be unresponsive, one first has to alt-tab to find the open child UI, manually focus it, dismiss it, then the main UI is active again.

Network connection resiliency:
If while downloading icons the network connection is interrupted, the task will always hang. It is required to press cancel, and manually retry. The network logic should be resilient to network failures.

Importing duplicates result in empty cards:
The eWallet to P1 conversion process splits some cards, e.g. bank details and login details. I am not yet sure if this is an artifact of the import process, or a "feature" of P1 where it is not possible to store login details with account details. When such entries are encountered, the import process asks for duplicate replace or not, if I answer yes I end up with empty cards, if I answer no I get two cards with proper details.

Dropbox sync:
The online help about Dropbox integration talks about a tab name and a menu name that does not exist in my app. I had to create a new store on Android synced with Dropbox, then manually open that store in my Dropbox folder in the Windows app.

Payment model:
I do not like having to pay per app per platform, I prefer one price for any platform, and I do not mind a subscription model, this is the software as a service era.

My 2c.
P.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

The Windows UI is blurry on high DPI displays, like my Surface Pro 3.

Correct. Our UI is not high-DPI-aware. This is a known problem.

If while downloading icons the network connection is interrupted, the task will always hang.

It might appear to hang, but it is actually waiting for a time-out. I believe our time-out is set to 60 seconds.

Importing duplicates result in empty cards

Are you using @MrC 's excellent importers? I'm trying to understand where the source to this problem is. It might be with eWallet's export format or with 1Password's import, or both.

The online help about Dropbox integration talks about a tab name and a menu name that does not exist in my app

What online help are you referring to? It would really help if you could give us the URL so that we can fix it. That being said, the online help for 1Password for Windows is here. /cc @Nik

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It might appear to hang, but it is actually waiting for a time-out. I believe our time-out is set to 60 seconds.

You need to execute the icon download on a non-UI thread.

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi

I waited more than an hour for the timeout, did not timeout, I had to click cancel.

I did use the conversion utility, my experience is in the conversion thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility#latest

I re-read the help about Dropbox, I missed the part where I had to find the general tab in the settings section, I looked on the main UI for the general tab, user error.

A new one I just noticed is the tray icon is missing. I close the main UI, goes away, but no tray icon shows up.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Have you got the "Show 1Pasword icon in the notification area" setting turned on in the General Tab in Preferences? :tongue:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just noticed is the tray icon is missing. I close the main UI, goes away, but no tray icon shows up.

@ptr727 After a fresh install (not an update), then the helper doesn't start until...

1. You reboot your PC, or
    2. You install one of our browser extensions
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Regarding this:

Importing duplicates result in empty cards:
    The eWallet to P1 conversion process splits some cards, e.g. bank details and login details. I am not yet sure if this is an artifact of the import process, or a "feature" of P1 where it is not possible to store login details with account details. When such entries are encountered, the import process asks for duplicate replace or not, if I answer yes I end up with empty cards, if I answer no I get two cards with proper details.

I can reproduce this. @svondutch, I'll send you a 1PIF w/instructions.

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member
    Options

The helper doesn't start until I reboot, that is a bit silly, no technical reason, bad user experience, hope you fix this.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

The helper doesn't start until I reboot

Only on a fresh install. We then start the helper when you install one of our browser extensions, or on a reboot -- whichever comes first.

Please note our updater does start the helper.

that is a bit silly, no technical reason

Actually, we do have a technical reason for this. We need to make sure the helper is running in the context of your Windows user account (not elevated into another user account).

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Importing duplicates result in empty cards

@ptr727 Fixed in 4.3.2.BETA-566. Thank you @MrC for your help!

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Actually, we do have a technical reason for this. We need to make sure the helper is running in the context of your Windows user account (not elevated into another user account).

Your installer is running elevated as admin at high IL, you can do almost anything you want, including running code as any other user by using their access tokens and window stations, and even easier for your current user where you just need to drop elevation. It is done all the time by many apps.

@ptr727 Fixed in 4.3.2.BETA-566. Thank you @MrC for your help!

Thank you.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ptr727 We need to start the helper with the (normally non-elevated) credentials of the user that started our setup initially (i.e., the "pre-UAC dialog" credentials).

Unfortunaly, we cannot do this if the user launched our setup from the command-line. In this scenario, our setup has no way of knowing the original user credentials, because the user might have (right-)clicked on "run as administrator".

Note, that this is not a 1Password-specific limitation; other Windows installers cannot return to the original user credentials either in such cases.

This discussion has been closed.