Secondary Vault not in iCloud, how to restore?

Options
VaultGuy
VaultGuy
Community Member

Hello,

I'm using the latest MAS Version of 1Password and just set up my new computer. I'm using the iCloud sync so all the passwords were available to me almost instantly, which is nice. However, I just noticed that my secondary Vault isn't showing up.

What's the best way of getting the secondary Vault back? I already made changes to my Primary Vault so I can't just restore a complete backup containing both of them.

I have Time Machine backups and a complete image of my previous system, so all the data is still available to me.

Thanks,

VaultGuy

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VaultGuy,

When we added secondary vaults it was a conscious decision to have it where each vault had to have sync set up manually. This allowed the user to be in total control and to make their own decisions on syncing each one. If you never set up syncing of the secondary vault prior to setting up your new computer then the only place your secondary vault will exist will be in the backups.

Now everything isn't lost even though we will be using the backups.

The big-level description of what we're going to do is we're going to:

1. Backup your current vault.
    2. Restore a previous backup that had the two vaults.
    3. Export your secondary vault.
    4. Restore the backup you made in step 1.
    5. Create a new secondary vault.
    6. Import the exported vault into this new one.

Now we could sync your secondary vault in step 3. instead of export but it depends on whether you remember your password for this secondary vault. I know the first time I used secondary vaults I forgot mine and ended up creating a new vault and learning to write the password for the secondary vault inside my primary one. Exporting will skirt round that question.

Here are the steps in more detail.

1. You will want to mount the image of your previous system and navigate to your user account in that image. If your username in OS X was VaultGuy the path in that image would be /Users/VaultGuy/. In there you will want to navigate to Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups. So in full it would be /Users/VaultGuy/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups. Pick the newest backup from there and copy it to your Desktop.
    2. Launch 1Password and enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab.
    3. First click on the Backup Now button and then click on the Find Backup button.
    4. Select the backup on your desktop and click on the Add Backup button.
    5. Select the backup you just added from the list and click on the Restore button that will now be enabled.
    6. Confirm that you want to restore this backup. 1Password will shut down to complete the process so you will need to manually launch it afterwards.
    7. Switch to your secondary vault and use the File > Export > All Items... drop down menu option.
    8. Enter your Master Password when requested.
    9. Save the exported vault to your Desktop in the default 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif).
    10. Return to the Backup tab in 1Password's preferences and this time restore the backup you made in step 3.
    11. When you launch 1Password this time you'll be back to where you were before you started all of this. The difference is we have an unencrypted copy of your secondary vault on your desktop.
    12. Create a new Secondary vault by using the 1Password > New Vault... drop down menu option.
    13. After completing the set up process switch to this new secondary vault.
    14. Use the File > Import... drop down menu option to import the .1pif export from step 9.

That should be everything you need to do to regain your old vault.

Going forward you will want to consider your sync options. At this point in time you can only synchronise your primary vault to iCloud. To sync secondary vaults your options are Dropbox or Folder Sync (to a local path on your Mac). If you're not bothered about syncing the secondary vault then creating a backup and restoring it to another machine is a viable way of moving all of your vaults in one go.

There's a bit to digest there so if you have any questions do please ask!

• VaultGuy
    VaultGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables,

thanks for these detailed instructions! I was able to restore the Vault and everything is working again. As it turns out I already missed restoring the second vault after setting up 1Password on my previous computer but I was able to restore it from a very old backup now, glad I caught that one. (No problem because the secondary Vault had no changes since then)

Not really important but one thing I caught while re-importing the old vault entries was that "Open" was not clickable in this screen:

Double click on the .pid directory worked though. Not sure if that's a bug or some hickup on my system.

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VaultGuy,

We did have an issue there but I was under the impression we'd resolved that bug. Can you confirm what version of 1Password for Mac you're running please. I know you say latest but I just want to make sure you are definitely running version 5.3.

If you are I'll investigate and file a bug report about that so thank you both for reporting and for confirming your version for us :smile:

I'm glad we could get your second vault back for you as well!

• VaultGuy
    VaultGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables,

I'm running "1Password Version 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store" with "10.10.3 (14D136)" on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).

Thanks for looking into it, very impressed with AgileBit's support!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VaultGuy,

Thank you for reporting this. It turns out we did correct this in the export screen but we didn't think to check the import screen - very much a "Doh!" moment. This should be resolved in the next release.

I like your thinking about trying to double click on the .1pif file :smile:

ref: OPM-2965

This discussion has been closed.