Request: Auto-Type feature on OS X

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ticketmaster.

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I had a similar issue with Fandango this weekend and came to report it. Good to see that you are already aware of the problem. Hopefully you can find a good solution.

If I may make a suggestion in regards to the single-field idea. Use the Auto-Type idea from the Windows 1P version and make it a button I can click when I have anchored a 1P window in my web browser. This way one could quickly enter the data instead of using copy/paste over and over.

For example, I am at a ticket purchasing website that uses custom UI fields which causes 1P to fail.
    1. I open the 1P menu
    2. Select the Credit Cards menu
    3. Hover on a credit card entry which shows the floating window
    4. Click the Anchor icon in the corner
    5. Click in the first field on the web form (card number for example)
    6. Hover my mouse cursor over the card number in the 1P window
    7. Next to the "Copy" button would be a "Auto-Type" or "Send" or "Type it for me" button. When clicked, it inserts only that data into the web page where the insert point currently is.
    8. I hit the Tab key on my keyboard which takes me to the next form field.
    9. Repeat steps 6-8 until the form is complete
    10. I submit the form and if everything went well, I then close the floating 1P window.

Hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@Smudge: I hope you don't mind, but I thought this discussion deserved it's own thread in the Mac category!

Auto-Type is definitely something we'd like to bring over to OS X from Windows, although it gets a bit complicated due to a great security feature OS X has called SecureInput.

I like your ideas here, but I'd go one step further and hope that, if we can get an Auto-Type feature on OS X, we also provide a system-wide keyboard shortcut for it to avoid all that clicking. This is a problem we've wanted to solve for a long time, and I can tell you that if we can find a way to make it happen we will be as excited as you! :)

This discussion has been closed.