iPassword 5 freezes on SplashID import

Options
rosswords
rosswords
Community Member

I'm a longtime SplashID user (back to my VisorPhone!) trying to convert to 1Password. I'm still using SplashID 6.2 because I never trusted their more recent upgrades. I studied all the discussions here before trying to import, but no one described the situation I'm facing.

Whenever I try to import a .vid file, 1Password freezes. The Open button doesn't respond and the Cancel button doesn't respond. I need to quit 1Password to close that window. (It doesn't completely freeze, because the pulldown menu still works and I can quit without force-quitting, but nothing else functions.)

I tried everything recommended on the discussion boards: full and partial exports (even an export without any records, accidentally); using the VID and VID-3 export functions; converting from -v2.0 to -v3.0 in TextEdit; saving as a UTF-8 file; even renaming the files in various way. Nothing worked.

I'm using 1Password 5.3 on OSX 10.10.3 on a 2014 MacBook Air.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rosswords
    rosswords
    Community Member
    Options

Update: Apparently, posting this question to the Discussion Forum did the trick. As soon as I posted, I went back to the Import window and clicked on a few things and it suddenly imported. I'm not sure exactly what did it--other than posting this question, of course. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @rosswords,

It is good to read that you were able to get your data imported from SplashID. That's the most important thing.

In case you are not happy with how the conversion went, in terms of the categories and many items going into Secure Notes, you may find better results with this converter.

• rosswords
    rosswords
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much, MrC. That was extremely helpful. I ended up deleting all of my original imports and replacing them with yours. They will still need some cleaning up--but much, much less than my original import would have.

A few comments:

For some reason, your README file was unreadable on my Mac. It seemed to be white type on a white background. I had to copy all the text into MS Word to read it, but I lost a lot of formatting which made it difficult to use. Not sure what was going on there, but you might want to check it out.

I ended up using the -f and -m suffixes. They gave me better results than the original command without any modifiers. For some reason, the full names (--folders and --modified) caused the conversion to fail. Again, not sure why. Unfortunately, I had hoped the -f command would transfer all of my SplashID subcategories to 1Password, but it only transferred the higher-level folders. Still, it was very helpful.

A note to 1Password Support if you're reading this: I discovered the cause of my original problem with the Import command. The Open button doesn't work. You have to double-click on the filename instead. A small issue, but it was very frustrating (as you can see from my original message) until I figured it out.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@rosswords,

You're welcome, and I'm happy to hear you got good results.

You are the second person now to indicate a problem with the README.pdf. What program did you open it in? Did you try Preview? I'm using a program to generate PDF from Markdown, so some update may have caused this issue (and I don't see any issues using Preview).

Edit: I can reproduce the PDF issue w/Acrobat. I'll work on a fix. Thanks.

I don't see any issues using full option names - can you show me your command line?

How do you create sub-categories? I don't see how to do that... If the full category hierarchy is in the export, I'll make them work.

• rosswords
    rosswords
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I used Adobe Acrobat Pro. Now, of course, I see that it opens perfectly in Viewer (formerly Preview). But I didn't think to try that at the time.

2. These command lines worked:
      perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl splashid -v ../splashid_export.vid
      perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl splashid -v ../splashid_export.vid -f
      perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl splashid -v ../splashid_export.vid -f -m

These did not:
    perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl splashid -v ../splashid_export.vid --folders
    perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl splashid -v ../splashid_export.vid --folders --modified

1. SplashID has "folders" and "types." My three folders were transferred to 1Password: Personal, Financial and Logins (along with Unfiled). But not my "types," which are things like Email Accts, Frequent Flyer, Auto-Pay, Bank Accts and Serial Numbers. Only a few types which matched 1Password's categories (Credit Cards and Servers) seem to have survived.

Anyway, I'm now struggling to make 1Password work for me as it should. But that will have to wait for another thread. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

Great, thanks.

1. I've fixed this for the next update which is available in the _testing folder.
    2. I'm still not seeing any problems with the conversion, regardless of where the options go or long vs. short options.

3. Ok, so we're taking about 1Password "categories" (which are SplashID "types"). The converter will map SplashID types to 1Password categories. SplashID items that are not stock types will get mapped to Secure Notes. We can (possibly) customize the converter to map any custom types you have to 1Password categories. Contact me at my email address so we can take this offline if you want to learn about how to do this.

• rosswords
    rosswords
    Community Member
    Options

MrC,

I can't find your email address in your profile so I'll try you here one more time. I'm OK with the categories/types; I'm gradually cleaning them up manually.

But now I have another question for you: I'm installing 1Password for my wife, who uses an old version of mSecure (v2). When I tried to use your converter, I got this response:

Lisas-MacBook-Air:convert_to_1p4 lisa$ perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl msecure -v ../pm_export.txt
    Unexpected failure parsing CSV: row 1 at Converters/Msecure.pm line 328, <$io> line 2.
    Imported 0 cards
    Exported 0 total items

Did it fail because it's an old version of mSecure, or for some other reason? Is there a simple fix? Thanks for your help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @rosswords,

No problem. My email is at the top of the conversion script convert_to_1p4.pl.

I've never tried mSecure prior to 3.5.x, so don't know anything about its export format. All versions prior to 3.5.4 do not properly quote the CSV output - it could be that such an old version is even worse. I'm fairly sure the failure you're seeing is due to the older version's export format being different.

Maybe it is possible for you to do a Backup of her mSecure database to a .msim file, and import that file into a 3.5.4 or later?

This discussion has been closed.