Error message when attempting to save a new login [Resolved]

Options
tom_veeser
tom_veeser
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

Each time that I attempt to save a new login, I get the error message "database disk image is malformed". I am using: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.BETA-19 (540019) Agile Beta, along with Yosemite 10.10.3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tom_veeser,

That error message isn't good, it's saying there is damage in the SQLite database file - that's your vault.

I would strongly recommend the following.

1. First, export your current vault using the menu option File > Export > All Items...
    2. You will be asked for your Master Password as a safety measure.
    3. Ensure you are exporting to the 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) and save to your Desktop.
    4. If you have multiple vaults you will need to switch to each vault in turn and repeat steps 1-3, making sure to use a unique name for each.
    5. Steps 1-4 have created unencrypted version of your vault(s) but this is based on the damaged SQLite database file so while we may resort to using them it will depend on the following.
    6. Open 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab.
    7. Select the most recent backup in the list and click on the now enabled Restore button. Follow the instructions given by 1Password.
    8. Once you launched 1Password again and unlocked this backup try creating a new Login item, do you get the same error message?
    9. If you do repeated steps 6-7 but use the next oldest backup. Repeat until you find a backup that hasn't been damaged.

Now depending on the age of the backup we may need to consider importing the .1pif exports you created to try and retrieve missing items. What I would recommend would be creating a new temporary vault to import into and then pick and choose what you want to move back into your real vault. If you don't need the exported items at all then you will want to securely delete the folders created in step 3. Don't forget, these are unencrypted copies of your vault so you only want to keep them around for just as long as they're needed and no longer.

You may have a few questions about all of this so please do ask if you do. I can't say how this happened but thankfully we can make use of 1Password's automated backup feature to hopefully restore a good vault. Please do let us know how you get along.

• tom_veeser
    tom_veeser
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it did not work. I tried 21 backups dating to April 21st and with each one I get the same error message when attempting to create a new login. Any further suggestions? Thank you

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tom_veeser,

I assume you still have the .1pif folder from step 1.

The next recommendation would be to follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide and create a brand new vault (keeping all the folders moved during the guide somewhere safe while you complete these steps). You would then import the .1pif folder using the File > Import... menu option.

That should resolve the issue and I really am sorry that this is happening at all to you.

• tom_veeser
    tom_veeser
    Community Member
    Options

That did it! Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tom_veeser,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out, with little Bobby's help. Thanks for letting us know that you're up and running again!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.