Default browser always opens from 1Password

Options
Johhhn
Johhhn
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

This has been around for a while!

Basically, when you click on 'open and fill' whether you do command option \ to open up 1password or click on the extension icon in your browser bar, it always opens a window in your default browser (in this case, Safari)

I use safari, firefox, and chrome. And when I use firefox and chrome, I have to copy and paste urls from 1password mini in order to use that link in that specific browser.

1password version: latest beta of 1password 5.

Please fix!!! :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I know, the default browser is controlled by the operating system, 1Password is simply honoring that selection.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth is correct: 1P will open URLs using your system default browser. Others have mentioned Choosy as a solution to your problem, although I have no experience with it so can't vouch for it.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johhhn,

So open and fill from the main 1Password window will always use your default browser because all we do is pass the URL to OS X and it does the rest. So far pretty normal. The same would happen if you have an application that isn't a browser in focus when you use ⌥⌘\ - it passes the URL to OS X.

If a browser is in focus though, the URL should be passed to it, assuming you have the extension installed. So that applies to both filling an already loaded page and open and fill from 1Password mini.

If you normally use open and fill from the main window then Choosy is one possibility. Like many here I haven't tried it, nor have I tried this alternative, Browser Fairy. I stumbled upon it while looking at Choosy and given it's in the Mac App Store and seems to have been updated more recently than Choosy it might be a better option. I have no experience of either though.

Now if the scenario is you're in Firefox, you have the extension installed but URLs are still being sent to Safari that's odd and shouldn't be happening. I'm not sure what would cause that but we would certainly want to try and help you there. We can decide how best to proceed after we've heard back from you :smile:

• Johhhn
    Johhhn
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

As I mentioned above, this is exactly the problem I am having. I can accept if it doesn't do it when using the 'main window', but when I click on the extension icon, whether Firefox or Chrome, it always opens up Safari.

This problem has been going on for quite some time and I normally don't fill out bug reports as I trust you guys would fix it, but apparently no one else is reporting it ;) (been using 1password since the incarnation and bugs have always been fixed)

Thanks!!

"If a browser is in focus though, the URL should be passed to it, assuming you have the extension installed. So that applies to both filling an already loaded page and open and fill from 1Password mini.

Now if the scenario is you're in Firefox, you have the extension installed but URLs are still being sent to Safari that's odd and shouldn't be happening. I'm not sure what would cause that but we would certainly want to try and help you there. We can decide how best to proceed after we've heard back from you :smile:"

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johhhn,

Thanks for the clarification! I think I might know what's going on here. If you open the 1Password extension, find a Login item, view its details, then click on the URL (or "open and fill") from those item details, that will indeed open the site in your Mac's default browser. Are those the steps you're taking? If so, that explains why that's happening.

Instead of doing it that way, try this: Open the extension, find a Login item, and click on that Login item. (In other words, don't view the item details, just click on the Login from the list of items.) That should open the site and/or fill your login credentials in the current browser.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.