Feature request: Update 1PasswordAnywhere for OPVvault

Options
HenryY
HenryY
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Is 1PasswordAnywhere going to be updated for .opvault? That's the only thing right now preventing me from switching to the new format.

I know that native apps are available for basically every platform now, but 1PasswordAnywhere is handy when I'm not in front of my own computer and/or phone.

An example, I'm using a public computer, or at a friend's house, just like where I would be using webmail instead of my desktop or iOS mail client.

It would also be nice for 1PasswordAnywhere to support the new OTP generation.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HenryY,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in seeing 1PasswordAnywhere polished up! It's great that you find this feature so useful. Unfortunately I can't say much about unreleased features, but I can tell you that we know it's due for a bit of an update. I'll be sure to pass your vote for this feature along to our team. :)

• noelbernie
    noelbernie
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

+1 for opvault and OTP support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the vote! I hope we can improve 1PasswordAnywhere in the future as well. :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

So is the latest word that OPVault format does not work with 1Password Anywhere?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@tiantai asked,

So is the latest word that OPVault format does not work with 1Password Anywhere?

Yes.

There is lots of discussion here from users wanting 1PasswordAnywhere to work with OPVault, but it currently does not, and there is no information about when or if that will become possible. You can see that response from AgileBits in this very thread, not many posts above your own.

• Hey @tiantai,

You are correct: OPVault does not support 1PasswordAnywhere. The feature was designed back in the days of 1Password 3 when OPVault wasn't around, and it needs to be updated for our current security standards.. We do have a good amount of users who absolutely love the feature and we're looking into the best way to bring it back. I've added your vote to this as well. :)

• random77
    random77
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to OPVault due to the release due to the security issue in agilebits format.

Now 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work. I'm frustrated. Please help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @random77,

I'm very sorry for any confusion about that! As explained previously in this discussion, the OPVault sync format does not support 1PasswordAnywhere. If you need to use 1PasswordAnywhere, you'll need to switch back to the Agile Keychain sync format as described here: Switching back to Agile Keychain

Now, there has been some confusion about the Agile Keychain format recently, so I wanted to make sure you've seen this announcement from the top of our Mac forum: Your passwords are safe when using the Agile Keychain format

As that message states:

If the Agile Keychain format was insecure when used as intended, we would not risk your data by continuing to make it available.

(The rest of that post goes into more detail, of course.)

So if you need to switch back to Agile Keychain so you can use 1PasswordAnywhere, please know that your data is still safe. I apologize again for any confusion, but I hope this helps. If you have more questions about that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• trolley
    trolley
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Here's another vote of support for 1PasswordAnywhere when using OPVault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we can consider, but now that I'm allowed to talk about it, I can tell you that the 1Password for Teams web interface is the direction we're going nowadays. It's already far more advanced, secure, and useful than 1PasswordAnywhere, especially with the addition of editing. Be sure to check it out! :)

• trolley
    trolley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty, but I'm not sure how that helps. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but 1Password for Teams is a subscription based model so it won't help people like me that are using 1Password as an individual with apps I've purchased. Is that right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@trolley: AH, sorry for the confusion! Well, I can't really make that call for you. And of course you can't really make that call yourself currently, as we haven't announced pricing yet. But I didn't suggest 1Password for Teams as a solution to your particular problem: 1PasswordAnywhere can't work with OPVault. My suggestion wasn't meant to give you the thing you're asking for, as the design simply doesn't allow for it.

However, 1Password for Teams is free during the beta period, so I encourage you to check it out. My point is that the 1Password for Teams web interface is the spiritual successor to 1PasswordAnywhere (and so much more), so if you're looking for a web interface involving 1Password going forward, that will be where it's at. We plan to have a version for families (and perhaps individuals as well), so my thought was that you could try it and see if it might help fill a need, even if it isn't the exact thing you requested.

Often the_ specific feature_ being asked for is impossible or infeasible, so instead we try to find a solution that solves one or more problems in a different way. If we implement every requested feature, 1Password will be a mess. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.