1Passwordanywhere is great ...
I've been an avid user of 1Password since 2012. I've tried several competing products and for one reason or another none of them come close.
Specifically, 1Passwordanywhere is one of those feature that sets it apart for me:
- I have an old dropbox account that still allowed users to host files through a public folder.
- My 1Password syncs to a directory nested several layers deep in the public folder, allowing me to reach it via a long, static URL.
- Finally I use my own dedicated server with apache to redirect a personal URL (example: secure.myawesomesite.com/stuff/1password) to the static dropbox URL. Easy for me to remember, basically impossible to guess.
- Suffice it to say, It is a critical feature for me that provides peace of mind, knowing that I can still get at my information in an emergency.
... But it needs some serious dev love
With that in mind, I was curious if AgileBits has plans on updating this feature in the future. There are several areas where it falls short when compared to the standard 1Password experience.
I do understand that, due to it being in a browser, many sweet features that we enjoy in 1Password are not feasible for 1Passwordanywhere, but nonetheless there are several things that really need to be improved.
First and foremost, there are several bugs that occur when viewing items in various categories. Here are some examples to illustrate them:
- Some information (ex. Any custom fields on Secure Notes, alternate websites on Logins) is not displayed at all.
- Some information shows up duplicated, or under incorrect names.
- Some information that should be hidden behind a 'reveal' link is displayed in plain text.
- Some metadata that is used in the 1Password application (ex. "passwordHistory", "customicon") is displayed incorrectly.
Second, though not as important, there are some minor areas where 1Passwordanywhere could use some dev TLC:
- There is no 'All Items' category. As a result there is no way to run a search on all items, and you have to manually search each category when trying to find something by name.
- Many categories are missing and instead grouped together under 'Accounts' or 'Wallet'.
- I realize that some features (tags, security audit, editing, attached files, etc) are not feasible in a read-only web app, but features like password history or generating one-time passwords should still be possible.
- Similarly, while custom icon lookup for software/websites/etc would be too much to expect from a lightweight web interface, it would still be nice to have the basic category icons visible to the left of the items (visa/mastercard for credit cards, etc).
- In general the look of the web interface feels outdated when compared to the slick and sexy 1Password 5 interface (at least for mac. The windows interface deserves its own post...).
It's clear that 1Passwordanywhere has not been updated in quite some time, and I really hope it gets some dev attention in the future. It would be a shame for this feature to be left by the wayside and potentially removed due to lack of support.