Google Drive Support

Options

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It wouldn't be enough. I would exhaust my Google Drive capacity and not even clear enough space on my Dropbox for it to be usable again. Even if I could move all my files and top off my Google Drive's capacity, I would then just be shifting problems.

How big is your vault? The basic Dropbox is 2GB!

• ebelin
    ebelin
    Community Member
    Options

I received an email invite to try 1Password 4.2 beta 15 (RC) on Android. Does it support gdrive sync?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I think they would have annonced that @ebelin! ;)

• saad
    Options

@ebelin Google Drive is not part of our 4.2 release candidate. The main features for this release are filling in external applications and TOTP, along with many improvements and bug fixes. You can view the complete changelog here.

• smazzletoff
    smazzletoff
    Community Member
    Options

How is this coming along? I really would like any alternative to Dropbox. I don't like Dropbox for security reasons and ethical reasons. I don't want it on my computers. I want to be able to share 1Password data between computers, smartphones and tablets without being forced to install Dropbox on all of them. This is a real drag and hinders not only my adoption of your otherwise brilliant products, but also that for my clients at various Fortune 500 companies throughout the United States (much less those I work with overseas that will have absolutely nothing to do with Dropbox anymore).

What is the status? Is there any alternative aside from wifi sync, if not, what is the timeline or approximate timeline for finally allowing your customers to jettison from Dropbox?

Thank you.

• peri
    Options

Hey @smazzletoff. :) We try not to make promises with regards to unreleased features. There are so many "what ifs" involved, that we'd hate to go back on a promise due to unforeseen circumstances. I hope you understand.

That said, we are definitely taking Google Drive support requests seriously, and our devs are looking into the matter. In the meantime, I recommend syncing to local storage. Many of our users have reported great success syncing with Google Drive, BTSync, and other solutions via local storage.

I'll go ahead and add your vote! :) Let us know if you have any other feedback!

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your support @Caitlinexo!

• peri
    Options

Thanks for getting in touch with us and please let us know if you have any issues or feedback regarding 1Password. :)

• Raffy Go
    Raffy Go
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive support across all platforms! It's a big hassle to install Dropbox on every PC or Mac. I hope this feature comes real soon. =)

• saad
    Options

Thank you for the feedback! I'll pass on your vote. :+1:

• Dmitry_N
    Dmitry_N
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @saad,
    Thank you for your pass! I'll feed your vote back.

• peri
    Options

LOL Dmitry. :) I like your sense of humour!

Our team is currently in contact with Google and we are really hoping to be able to support Drive as soon as we can!

• bshaffer
    bshaffer
    Community Member
    Options

+1 and becoming increasingly frustrated

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely add your vote for Google Drive. :)

In the meantime, if you're anxious to get started with Google Drive, you could save your vault to Android's local storage and then use a Drive app to sync that with another device. We've heard from many users who've had great success syncing that way.

• kuoirad
    kuoirad
    Community Member
    Options

I know it's apples and oranges, but I find it amusing that you can now login to these forums using Google's authentication service, but we still can't get Google Drive support in 1PW.

I'm with bshaffer, getting a little frustrated/impatient.

• peri
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you're becoming frustrated, and I would love to be able to help out. Unfortunately, we don't have any new news on Google Drive sync support at this time.

We'll definitely let you all know when we have something to share. :)

• ouispace
    ouispace
    Community Member
    Options

@peri No news on Google Drive sync support?

I love 1Password though this thread is almost two years old. Considering the number of Android users you'd think this would be a no brainer to provide support for this.

• peri
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm sorry, but we don't have anything to report on this front right now. We would love add support for Google Drive syncing, and are aware of how important this feature is to our users. Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment.

You all will be the first to know when we do have news, though! Thanks!

• Mak_Sim
    Mak_Sim
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive support!

• jsupport
    jsupport
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive

• saad
    Options

Thank you for your votes to see Google Drive support in 1Password.

• Striketyp
    Striketyp
    Community Member
    Options

I find it hard to believe your dev team still has no clue as to how to implement Drive support. Since this is such a long-running thing, could you ask for a dev to sum up what has been done and what is still holding them back? Would be marvelous to have any insight, even though you have "no news".
    "No news" stopped being good news on this topic quite a long time ago in my opinion :)

As mentioned before, this has been a thing for some time now. So, either it is a very, very difficult thing to achieve, or it has no priority at all. The first seems to be not true since other apps can get it done, but the second point must be false as well, according to what peri and saad are saying...?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I too would appreciate a good in-depth technical description of the problem. Maybe a blog on the subject.

• Striketyp
    Striketyp
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to hilight @saad and @peri , maybe they have something to say :)

• mverde
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Eight pages of discussion say to me that you are all very passionate about 1Password, and that means everything to us. I’m sorry that you’re feeling frustrated by the absence of Google Drive support. It’s something that I also really want.

The truth is we are balancing the choice of when to implement Google Drive support against a number of other goals at the top of which is our goal of achieving feature parity across platforms. We are currently working on a number of improvements to 1Password for Android, including fingerprint unlock and other features that are keeping our development team very busy.

Implementing Google Drive support is not technically impossible. If we were to add this feature to 1Password for Android, we currently have three methods from which to choose: the Google Drive REST API, the Google APIs Java Client, and the Google Drive Android API.

After carefully evaluating each approach, we have determined that the Google Drive Android API is the one that we would want to use for 1Password. It’s built into Google Play Services, so it’s already available on the majority of Android devices.

In order to provide Google Drive support we would ideally require permissions propagation. Without that, we would require drive-wide permissions, although that is something we would rather avoid requesting. Unfortunately, the Google Drive Android API doesn’t currently support permissions propagation or even drive-wide permissions.

While we continue to work on the next 1Password update, we hope that permissions propagation support will be added to Google Drive Android API, giving us the solution that we feel would be best.

When we do have something to announce, we will be sure to let you know. Thank you for your continued interest and support!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Is there something that makes the REST api or Java client fundamentally unsuitable or is it just a preference? If the latter then I suspect that your customers would rather you just implement something that works now rather than waiting for the ideal.

• jestep
    jestep
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne I agree.... I am pretty sure I even posted this before....
    https://developers.google.com/drive/web/quickstart/android

I like the word "quickstart" in there :/

Actually starting to move to LastPass because of this "issue"

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne and @jestep,

I can't add much more detail than Michael has in his response above. I think he's done a great job of outlining the decision-making process and the focus of the Android development team right now. I have to say, I certainly don't envy the developers who have to make the decisions about which features and fixes to spend their valuable resources on. I know I have my own list of features and improvements that I'd love to see in 1Password, and it's often hard to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and understand the development process as a whole. Basically, it comes down to that annoying fact that there are never enough hours in the day to do all of the cool stuff that we want to do. I think that's true of any creative field - there's always more to be done, and it keeps us inspired, and it keeps us striving.

Is there something that makes the REST api or Java client fundamentally unsuitable or is it just a preference? If the latter then I suspect that your customers would rather you just implement something that works now rather than waiting for the ideal.

This decision on how to best implement Google Drive was not based on preference, but on the API that will best fit our unique data format and our app's needs. I wish it was a simple matter to "just implement something that works" ... but investing a significant portion of development time into a less-than-perfect solution doesn't seem like a good idea to me. In fact, maintaining a less-than-perfect solution would likely lead to significant headaches down the line. (Again, I'll throw in my "I'm not a developer" caveat here, but I have spoken with the team about some of the challenges with the various APIs, and I can understand their concerns.)

As Michael says, we really appreciate your passion and we are listening. We'll be sure to update you all here when we have more news on the subject.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, you missed the point of my question. I was curious as to what the issues were with your requirements and the APIs that you've ruled out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

Sorry for missing the point of your question. This might make for an interesting DevBits blog post. I'll talk to our devs and see about making that happen. Thanks for the nudge!

This discussion has been closed.