What about where a log in requires certain characters from a password

Options

Some logins require various characters from a password and the characters required change each time you log in. can 1 password deal with this ?

1Password Version: 5.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:create-multi-page-login, kb-search:logging in to bank accounts, kb:import, kb-search:logging in to bank accounts, kb:create-multi-page-login

Comments

• Hi @priory,

At the moment, no. This also suggest the site might actually have your password stored in clear view somewhere on their servers since they would need to know each character in advance.

For now, you would have to grab the character manually by looking at the password. We have some ideas on how to make it easier, such as adding Large Type to 1Password that we've done on OS X already. Here's what it looks like:

This lets you easily know which character in which position.

• priory
    priory
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike,

I am a new user of 1password

Large type would help a bit . But this does not address the basic issue. Lots of banks in UK ask you for characters from a paswword as part of a multi stage log in process; so that whole area is off limits to 1 password.
    I imagine that the actual password at the bank is encrypted so no one would actually see it.

• Hi @priory,

It's true for a lot of banks around the world, I see it also for HSBC here in US.

However, there is no way around this specific security method, randomization like that are meant to prevent criminal automated filling, something that's hard to tell apart from what 1Password does to fill.

We can make it easier to see which characters for each position but there's nothing much else we can do here.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

For me it is the third step in the process and I use Ipassword for the first part and do the rest manually. This works for me as my bank does not let me choose my own user name and I can never remember what they've given me!

• Yep, 1Password can auto-fill my username and password but I have to manually enter the third "character"-based field.

• priory
    priory
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comments
    I will do the same.
    Priory

• You're welcome. If there's anything else we can do to help, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.