Making a backup in iTunes

Options
iamecho
iamecho
Community Member

Hi - I've just finished following the article about creating a backup within iPassword on the iPhone and then syncing it to iTunes via usb. (I thought syncing my data through Dropbox was all I needed to do for a complete backup in the event I needed to do a restore.) It all went according to plan until the end where the only option iTunes gave me was to Sync. The step by step instructions I was following said iTunes would say "save as ..". I hit sync but have no way to see what is on the backup folder on iTunes so am not sure I did it correctly. Is it me? - lol. Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: yosemite
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:wendy-appleseed, kb:1passwordanywhere, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:backup-faq, kb:ios-itunes-backups

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/
    This is the article I was working from.

• Hey @iamecho! The interface actually says Save To and a Finder window should appear where you can choose a location for your backup. You just need to select the Backups folder on your device first. Does the button not appear to be clickable, or is the folder not there?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @penderworth - thanks for responding. I've attached a screen shot - I see back ups but it doesn't let me do anything with it - double click, single click, etc. In fact double clicking allows me to change the name.

• @iamecho Could you try scrolling down on that main page? Not in the 1Password Documents section, but to the right where the white space is. I think there may be things hidden under that. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing under and nothing to the right .. nada!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Nothing under and nothing to the right .. nada!

• Ben
    Options

That is a bit strange, @iamecho. On my computer I'm able to left click to select the folder (highlight it in blue). Could you please try left clicking on it and dragging and dropping it to your desktop?

Please let me know if that works.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff Yes, I was able to left click and drag on to my desktop. Should I just leave it in my filing cabinet in the event I need it? Not sure how I'd restore from there but I can cross that bridge when I need to.

• Ben
    Options

Yes, I'd recommend leaving a copy of it on your desktop, or in some other spot on your file system where you'll be able to find it if you ever need it. The instructions for restoring a backup can be found in the same article you linked here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/268553/#Comment_268553

Thanks!

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Ok, so for now this is the workaround and I shouldn't be concerned why my computer doesn't allow me to do what the article says?

• Ben
    Options

It appears Apple may have updated iTunes and our guide will need to be updated to reflect those changes. I wouldn't call it a workaround, I'd call it the way things appear to work now. :)

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Good enough :), thanks for your time.

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.