Cannot switch vault since 1Password 6

Options
bobby1password
bobby1password
Community Member

Hello,

Since I did the update this morning I cannot switch vault anymore.

Could you provide me the old version 5... In order to let me work because I need to do stuff right now that relay on 1Password.

Thanks for your support.
Alex

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/switch-vaults, kb-search:switch vault

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@bobby1password:

Since I did the update this morning I cannot switch vault anymore.

What happens when you try? Have you tried the All Vaults dropdown? Have you tried using the keyboard shortcuts (⌘1, ⌘2, etc.)?

Stephen

• bobby1password
    bobby1password
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I tried both, when i do the dropdown it is not clickable, it has a gray "filter" and I cannot select vault like I was doing before.

I am really in trouble since I cannot access my vault I need it for work...

• Hey @bobby1password! So sorry for the trouble. To quickly help out with the issue, I'd like you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac.

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive a few minutes after sending. That will help us connect the dots. :)

• bobby1password
    bobby1password
    Community Member
    Options

Here we go!

[#STX-99118-332]

Thanks !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobby1password ,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I see that someone from our support team has already responded - please let us know if you do not see an email in your inbox. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: STX-99118-332

• profbiggles
    profbiggles
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all - I have a similar issue with switching vaults which appears to have started with the update to v6.0.1 (AppStore). I can't switch via command-0, 1 etc in the full app or mini until after I authenticate to my primary vault. The "Switch to Vault" menu is greyed out unless I've already logged into the primary vault - once I have logged in, I can then switch between vaults ok.

The app version in the Finder showed as 5.4, but modified a day or so ago and the App Store app showed it had downloaded the v6.0.1 update. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app in case it was just something awry with the update via App Store, but that hasn't helped.

• bobby1password
    bobby1password
    Community Member
    Options

I am still blocked as well, cannot work properly and I still have no clue about how to solve this problem.. Any help from the support?

• bobby1password
    bobby1password
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I did the 6.0.1 update and now my two vaults disappeared, nothing is on my computer anymore, how can I found them back if they are not on the cloud?
    Thanks
    I am freakin out if I lost them that would be terrible..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @profbiggles ,

I apologize for the confusion! In 1Password 6 for Mac, we've removed the ability to unlock 1Password directly to a secondary vault. Once you unlock 1Password using the Master Password of your primary vault, you'll be able to switch to all of your vaults, or view them via the All Vaults view.

Hi @bobby1password,

I see that Greig replied to your original email in to support. Could you please reply to his email? If your vaults are not showing up in 1Password, the quickest way that we'll get this resolved is by taking a look at your Diagnostics Report.

There are instructions on how to create a Diagnostics Report here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject of your diagnostics email(s) before you hit "Send":

[#STX-99118-332]

This will link your diagnostics to the current email discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums.

• profbiggles
    profbiggles
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan - thats very frustrating - the way I use 1Password on some shared home machines is that the primary vault contains work related sensitive stuff (and overly complex master password etc) and other vaults contain my wife's accounts, etc etc. So we regularly access the secondary vaults directly. Any chance of a preference setting or some other way to revert to the old behaviour?

Cheers.

• thommeo
    thommeo
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing here. The use case is that me and my wife use different vaults on a shared home computer. This is extremely frustrating. I disabled the updates on other machines and will try to roll back to 1Password 5. Please, Agile Bits, consider restoring the functionality.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we can consider for a future version. You also can find additional information on this change in this other discussion:

Separate passwords for vaults

• mannvicky
    mannvicky
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

seriously why did you stop signing to secondary vault directly.... i had made secondary vault for my accountant who could open what ever i had shared.... why do you change something that is working well. This is very frustrating. Please bring that feature back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mannvicky: Because it was a bug. Secondary vaults are not meant to be unlocked separately from the Primary vault. Some folks have let us know that they'd like a way to manage multiple vaults separately, and we're looking at different options for doing this. But we're not going to be reverting this particular change.

If you absolutely must unlock only a secondary vault, you can always use 1Password 5 instead. However, it's important to keep in mind that giving someone else access to your computer so they can unlock a single secondary vault gives them unfettered access to everything else on the system as well.

• mannvicky
    mannvicky
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi, I would like to know what is the purpose of a secondary vault if it cannot be locked/unlocked separately? If i am the only user on my system then i would unlock my primary vault and all the information is there... I do not need a second vault. Second vault is for my kids to whom i do not wish to give access to my other important information in primary vault. Unlocking primary vault to view secondary vault makes no sense to me, lol.
    I have shifted back to 1password5 but your team need to think for a solution to this problem.
    Thanks for your support and hope to see an upgrade that help people like us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi, I would like to know what is the purpose of a secondary vault if it cannot be locked/unlocked separately?

@mannvicky: Sharing. For example, I have a secondary vault I share via Dropbox with my wife, so that it's also a secondary vault on her devices. We each have our own Master Password for our (personal) primary vault, which is not shared, and which we use to unlock the app(s).

If i am the only user on my system then i would unlock my primary vault and all the information is there... I do not need a second vault. Second vault is for my kids to whom i do not wish to give access to my other important information in primary vault. Unlocking primary vault to view secondary vault makes no sense to me, lol.
    I have shifted back to 1password5 but your team need to think for a solution to this problem.
    Thanks for your support and hope to see an upgrade that help people like us.

We're looking at different options, but 1Password simply wasn't designed with this use in mind: a multi-user app, with different passwords for different users (or we'd have named it something else entirely). Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution that helps everyone.

• NML
    NML
    Community Member
    Options

I completely agree with @mannvicky.

The benefit is that I can use the 1Password system around my entire life. A vault for every situation, in my case a "Work Vault" alongside my "Primary Vault".

When at work I only ever dive into my secondary vault (work vault). Without exposing my life whether it be just a sneak preview of my details or just having the security risk of pressing a shortcut if I away from the desk. Now I have to unlock my personal vault in order to get to work stuff which is goes against the whole point of work/life balance.

I can see where you are coming from @brenty, however the option is great help for my exact situation above. Can 1Password team build a solution where the current setup is select as a setting by default but provide an option to choose based on the user? Surely the who point of the app is to keep passwords safe but users set there own passwords, they make the own decision who they share the data with. Why not provide this as an option?

Many thanks,

Neil

• Hi @NML,

I agree that it would be nice for us to better support the scenario you're describing. We have some thoughts on how we can do that in a better way than we did that would support far more scenarios. Hopefully one day we can build that into the app.

Rick

• rcmike
    rcmike
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this functionality. I could use it as well. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the vote! :)

This discussion has been closed.