1Password 6 (released) doesn't auto-lock when expected.

Options
patrickch
patrickch
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

This problem looks to have been reported in the BETA of 1Password 6, but not yet in the released version, hence this post.
The screen capture below shows how I have 1Password 6 configured to auto-lock: on sleep, when screen saver is activated, and when fast user switching.

Most irksome is when 1Password 6 fails to lock after using a "hot corner" to put the display to sleep, as enable by this option in the Mission Control pane of System Preferences.

From the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, I have a lock screen enabled after display sleep or screen saver; this lock screen works correctly after the display auto-sleeps (timer) or after using the hot corner I have enabled.

However, neither the main app nor 1Password mini lock themselves after these events occur in the OS. The only consistent way to lock 1Password appears to be with keyboard shortcuts.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Of if it is a bug in this version of 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:auto-lock

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @patrickch,

Thanks for letting us know this issue is affecting you in the 6.0 stable release.

As you probably saw in sjk's comment in the beta thread:

When enabled, the Lock on sleep setting is only intended to trigger 1Password locking when the system sleeps. There's currently no Auto-lock setting for triggering locking on display sleep

So adding a setting option to auto-lock on display sleep is a new feature request, rather than a bug. I have added your remarks as a vote for this new feature or our devs to consider. Thanks again!

ref: OPM-1160

• patrickch
    patrickch
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I see. I interpreted the deviation in behavior of the software from the previous version as a bug instead of an intentional change. So yes, lock on display sleep, as 1P used to do, would be a feature request for the current version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@patrickch: Indeed, sorry for the confusion! Frankly, I'm surprised that Apple still makes this kind of distinction...but it's even more complex on Windows. We can definitely consider a display sleep option as well. Thanks for letting us know you'd prefer that! :)

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member
    Options

I had noticed that the 1Password 5 "Lock on Sleep" and "Lock when screen saver is activated" checkboxes were ambiguous with respect to Apple's evolving definitions of "sleep", but the behavior of locking on Display Sleep was very useful. The 1Password 6 "bug fix" has also caused me surprise, as 1Password was unlocked after returning to Macs after a lengthy departure.

As my Macs tend to be offering network services (e.g., file, printer, or web sharing), I set them to never go into system sleep on AC power (and these days OS X is pretty clever about conserving power without system sleep). I also disable the Screen Saver, since with LED displays, screen savers are actually bad for display life and are essentially just a form of entertainment (that will also never show up if the display sleep interval is shorter than the screen saver interval).

So let me second the request for a lock on display sleep "feature". Until then, I guess I have to use lock on idle.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The 1Password 6 "bug fix" has also caused me surprise, as 1Password was unlocked after returning to Macs after a lengthy departure.

@kevinosinski: I'm really sorry about that. That's certainly not the kind of surprise we relish either. :(

I also disable the Screen Saver, since with LED displays, screen savers are actually bad for display life and are essentially just a form of entertainment (that will also never show up if the display sleep interval is shorter than the screen saver interval).

That's a really great point! I think that screen savers have just been around for so long that it's overlooked. After all, if a screen saver starts and no one is around to see it...okay, I don't have a good punchline for that.

So let me second the request for a lock on display sleep "feature". Until then, I guess I have to use lock on idle.

Absolutely! The intent is to use the 'lock on idle' setting if you want 1Password to lock when the computer is no longer in use, but this may be an option we can add in a future version as well. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Same here, after a lengthy departure (about 10 minutes) 1 Password was unlocked and ready to use. I had to type my iMac password to unlock the screen, but that was all that was needed to get into complete 1PW database. My System Preferences / Security & Privacy is set to require password 1 minute after sleep or screen saver begins.

Considering that previous versions always required to re-enter the main password, I would consider this behavior undesirable. A bug.

I only noticed it after I updated both 1PW and OS X today.
    Please bring back locking 1PW as soon as the screen goes blank or at least very shortly thereafter. If this needs to be a request for new (old) feature, so be it.

Thank you

OS X: 10.11.3
    1PW: 6.0.1

• letssurf
    letssurf
    Community Member
    Options

I've having the same issue. My setup as the same as described by Fairgame.

This isn't how 1PW used to behave over the years I've been using it.

• Hi @letssurf,

You're right, it's not how it's behaved. We considered the old behavior to be a bug. When the display goes to sleep, if your Mac is configured to require a password after X minutes, it fires the notification saying that things have locked up when they haven't really. Which was causing lockups when it shouldn't.

If I remember correctly when I was looking at this problem, there's actually no great way to detect when the display sleeps. Most apps end up using that lock notification which isn't accurate either. The fact that it worked for some people was mostly a "works by accident". That's not a very good way to have a feature.

We actually have an old feature request that's still marked Not Done that's exactly that: "Figure out how to make Lock on Display Sleep."

We'd like to do better here in a future release.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.