Recommendation of place to store the account key?

Options

What is the recommendation of where to store the account key? I know that in general use case, it won't be used very much since you can't authorize a new device from an existing one. However, just wondering what the general recommendation is? Normally I'd store a key like this for another servie in 1Password :)

Are people just storing this plaintext on their phone somewhere? In their email account? on a slip of paper under their mattress?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tmchow,

If you have a primary vault with 1Password that is not associated with your Teams account, you could certainly store your Account Key in there. (That's what I've done for my own Teams account data.)

In addition to that, we do advise that you print off that Emergency Kit and store it in a safe place, like a safe or a safety deposit box, just in case.

• starlight
    starlight
    Community Member
    Options

But if we store our account key in another 1Password vault, and someone somehow gets access to that vault, then they would be able to access all of our 1Password team data too (assuming that we also keep the master password in the same vault), right?

• rob
    Options

Hi, @starlight, and welcome to our forum!

Yes, you are correct. If someone accesses your Master Password and Account Key, they will be able to access all of your 1Password for Teams information. That's true no matter where you store those two things, so you'll definitely want to make sure they are stored in a place that only you can access (or people you trust, if you'd like to make that allowance).

You could also store them separately, like one in a safety deposit box and one in a safe in your house. It's up to you.

This discussion has been closed.