1Password Subscription Model? :(

Options
Mork
Mork
Community Member

I read that many of the password vendors, indeed many software vendors, are now moving to the "forced-subscription model" as the latest way to extract more money from customers.

I am therefore hoping that 1Password does NOT follow this model and keeps the same license options it currently has.

Should 1Password go to a subscription model entirely (choices removed for the user), I would, sadly, have to discontinue using it.

Would anyone at AgileBits please comment on your plans to keep 1Password licensing plans the way they are now (no forced subscription model) into the foreseeable future?

Thanks,

Comments

• Mitch
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @Mork,

Thanks very much for your feedback and thoughts about our licensing models.

We are not fans of the "forced subscription model" either. Lots of people just want to buy an app once and start using it. We totally get that. And that's why we have no plans to stop providing the 1Password apps for individual purchase. We're going to keep supporting anyone who chooses to use the apps that way, and the individual apps will continue to see new features and developments provided in free updates. In fact, we are picking up the pace of development as you might have seen with our recent, totally free releases of 1Password 6 for Mac and Android. :)

1Password for Teams is built on the subscription model, on the other hand, for a number of reasons. The first (believe it or not) is that lots of customers actually prefer it — and even ask us for it! For companies or families, it's often easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The sub model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management.

What I hope you can take away from this is that you now have more choice than ever: purchase the apps individually, as before, or sign up for the service if you find it meets your needs. It's up to you. :)

I hope I've helped address your concerns about the support status of 1Password. Please let me know if you have more questions about this, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Cheers,
    -Mitch

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, thank you!

I only wish more companies were like AgileBits! :)

Thanks again.

M

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks very much @mork

This discussion has been closed.