replacing dropbox with synology NAS

Options
GPews
GPews
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

I currently use dropbox to sync my password vault between OSX and iOS. I'd like to replace that synchronization by the synology NAS. On OSX, that's easy to do. How can I replace it on iOS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @GPews,

We currently support iCloud, Dropbox, and WiFi sync for 1Password for iOS. We do not support Synology.

Thanks!

Ben

• GPews
    GPews
    Community Member
    Options

That's a pity. Is it planned for the future?

• No definite plans. Last time we looked into it Synology did not offer a mobile API that offered the functionality we would need. That may have changed at this point (a quick Google search doesn't turn up anything), but even if it has, it would be a fairly large undertaking. So it wouldn't be coming in the very near future.

Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for!

Ben

• LAD
    LAD
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Im looking for this feature it be great if it could be looked on :)

• Thanks @LAD. I'll certainly pass the feedback along to our development team for their consideration.

• LAD
    LAD
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff that be great!

Thanks!

My 1Pwd Keychain is the only remaining thing in dropbox :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I know that some folks have been using Synology cloudstation to sync 1Password data, but there have been some serious issues involving timestamps that were causing conflicts and data loss. Hopefully they can get that irons out, and then we may be able to explore supporting it in the future. Cheers! :)

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member
    Options

I'd suggest moving into supporting ownCloud instead of Synology. It's a more open platform (QNAP supports it too).

--
    Tony

• Thanks for the suggestion, @albatr0ss. We don't have any definite plans at the moment for additional sync methods, but we are always keeping our eyes and ears open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! That's certainly another option we can consider in the future. :)

• vdams
    vdams
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to support Synology Cloud.
    Perso i'm using it to synchronize my Mac Vault onto my windows workstation.
    (after 1 year, one issue -> database grown a lot (377Ko to 23Mo) - ticket [#YUI-62359-835].
    -> solution: remove synchro, validate, reconfiguring a new once the folder)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vdams: Thanks for your vote! And I'm glad that you were able to get the vault rebuilt. Hopefully we'll be able to offer more sync options down the road. :)

ref: YUI-62359-835

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to support Synology Cloud

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote. :)

• FrontRunner
    FrontRunner
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to support Synology Cloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd be interesting in this feature as well! :)

• bernd_stransky
    bernd_stransky
    Community Member
    Options

I am having high CPU issues on my MacBook with Synology CloudStation and 1Password sync.

So a big +1 to support Synology Cloud, definitely! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bernd_stransky: While we may be able to dd official support for Synology in the future, I don't think we'll be able to resolve your performance issues. I've had similar problems myself on my Mac that inspired me to ditch a number of sync solutions. Hopefully Synology can address that for you as well!

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member
    Options

Important Notice: At the Moment active Synology Sync delete random password from the 1Password Vault

My Workaround and tip for you: After saving/changing a password, create **every time **a Vault Backup and check the item counter.

To Fix this issue, i have this Ticket on 1Password support: [#KAS-42115-575] 1Password 4.6.0.592 error report

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lutz: Thanks for bringing that up, as it might help others avoid similar issues! :)

• PaddyTB
    PaddyTB
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Synology Cloud support

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, PaddyTB. :)

• mdmiller
    mdmiller
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Synology support. 1Password sync is the only reason I have dropbox installed. Although encrypted, having keychains on an accessible cloud service is an issue. It's only a matter of CPU power and time until some very important data is in the wrong hands. Whether that be hackers or unconstitutional government overreach, we need a private sync option for iOS/OSX/Windows.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @mdmiller.

It is also only a matter of time before the sun grows so large the earth is absorbed by it. ;)

AgileBits Blog | Strong Security Requires Strong Passwords

Ben

• mdmiller
    mdmiller
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the link and info, but not the sarchasm. Some points from the linked information:

1. All these numbers are based on the same hardware described by Dmitry and Andrey. Depending on the attacker’s resources, more powerful machines could be available.
    2. As time goes on, machines will continue to get faster.
    3. To help guard against faster hardware and to strengthen shorter passwords, we are planning to update 1Password’s defences with several significant changes....................

The problem is, using #3 above to mitigate #1 and #2 above doesn't protect my data. All it takes is for someone to get a copy of my current encrypted data (using today's "secure" standards) and start hacking on it when Moore's Law allows for a reasonable return on investment. The NSA and Britain have systems in place to do this... and they've been in place for many, many years.

Even if I change all passwords contained within my 1Password database regularly and use strong passwords for the individual sites and the master password.... a crack of the master password renders a list of all important accounts for me. Even without exposing the passwords, the exposure of this collection of account information would be a large liability.

Please listen to the myriad of posts requesting further research of a personally hosted storage service for housing the sync data for 1Password. I don't pretend that this is a simple thing to accomplish. Maybe some add-on service can be installed on the Synology to allow an appropriate API for the sync service? Whatever the solution, there are merits of a sync service that keeps the data at rest not only encrypted... but substantially further out of reach than a service like dropbox.

• Ben
    Options

@mdmiller,

My apologies if my slightly tongue in cheek response was less than appreciated. I was only trying to make a counter point.

All these numbers are based on the same hardware described by Dmitry and Andrey. Depending on the attacker’s resources, more powerful machines could be available.
    As time goes on, machines will continue to get faster.
    To help guard against faster hardware and to strengthen shorter passwords, we are planning to update 1Password’s defences with several significant changes....................

All fair points. I would counter though that if the NSA and / or British govt. are after your data, you probably have much bigger problems than whether you stored your 1Password keychain on Dropbox, 1Password for Teams, or on a Synology NAS.

This isn't to say that I don't understand where you are coming from, but currently our focus in the data storage realm is on 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families. We may still consider additional solutions in the future, but it likely will not be the near future.

Thanks.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdmiller: And most significantly, the assertion that Moore's Law could allow a real threat to your data to sneak up on you just isn't practical. From an excellent post by @julie-tx:

You can do all sorts of hypothetical projections on "technological advances in hardware cracking engine power", but the single largest advance in dedicated hardware cracking technology in recent years has been the use of GPUs for general purpose computation. We already had Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) and Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) password cracking engines and it has been the GPU which seriously upped the password cracking game.

There is a completely different issue and that has to do with the amount of energy needed to perform the calculations. Just the basic enumeration step of counting from 1 to 2^128-1 consumes an enormous amount of energy. A nation-state may well have the financial means to create a massive pool of dedicated password crackers which could reduce 1.1 million years to something more immediate, but operating hundreds of thousands to millions of password crackers will still consume massive amounts of energy.

Two different estimates have been made, one based on existing hardware technology and another on theoretical minimum energy required to flip a single bit in a circuit. The values are 30GW and 10GW (a gigawatt, abbreviated GW, is a billion watts of electricity, or about as much energy as a million or two homes consume) respectively over a period of an entire year. That's just to enumerate all possible keys, out of 2^128 possible keys. The actual decryptions will involve thousands of bits being changed raising the total energy into the terawatt-year -- a trillion watts consumed continuously for a year -- range. That much electrical power, consumed over that span of time, is beyond the reach of even a nation-state.

The short answer is that truly randomly generated passwords, which are used to derive truly random, strong and unique keys present challenges to attackers which are outside the realm of possibility, even for nation-states.

Keep in mind that in the case of 1Password data, an attacker isn't "simply" making brute force attempts against your Master Password, but rather it has to do the work of hashing for each attempt, which significantly reduces the speed of each attempt. So while it is true that advances in technology will make it "easier" over time, I don't think that anyone could reasonably describe the process as efficient.

Instead, we're talking about going from "wholly infeasible" to "slightly less infeasible". And if the day approaches where it becomes somewhat more plausible, the steady march of technology is slow enough that we can continue to make changes to strengthen security further long before the situation becomes dire. It won't happen overnight. So ultimately it isn't just that the technology would need to be available to make such a thing possible, there are also legitimate logistical and practical hurdles that would need to be overcome to get things physically setup and running in order to even work on the problem of cracking the encryption on your data...and even then I'm not sure that these resources would be well-spent on you or me. It's fascinating to think about though. :)

• mdmiller
    mdmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your time on responding to my concerns. I definitely have more research to do on the subject... but the fact of the moment is that "these resources would [not] be well-spent on you or me." :)

Definitely keep me as a +1 for voting on the "private cloud" sync option going forward. In the mean time, perhaps I'll sleep a little better...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely! We're always evaluating other options, but I'm also relieved to keep things in perspective in regard to the risks. It's a difficult task, to be sure, with the constant stream of breaches in the news and so forth. It's important — and challenging — to be vigilant and remain rational.

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A brief comment on Moore's Law and the relentless creation of ever faster and more powerful hardware.

There are some pretty hard physical limits. One of the present challenges in computing is related to power consumption. While processors may become smaller, faster, and cheaper, chip designers are starting to deal more with electrical power issues than computing power issues.

This discussion has been closed.