Options

Thanks for the vote, @mjeshurun!

Ben

• roelatmac
    roelatmac
    Community Member
    Options

I think Drew_AG already gave the answer on July 2015:
    But on iOS, because of sandboxing restrictions, it doesn't work the same way. We have to program the 1Password for iOS app to support the API for each cloud sync service it supports. We might be able to do that with Google Drive at some point, but that will involve plenty of work for our developers.
    I'm sorry I paid a lot for this app, but still will switch to something else. Answers like these to paying clients make clear how you think about them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roelatmac: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password has never supported Google Drive. We hope to someday, but if that is a critical feature for you, it may not be a good fit for you. Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add a Google Drive feature in a future version! :)

• roelatmac
    roelatmac
    Community Member
    Options

In fact I was referring to "but that will involve plenty of work for our developers."

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

So look, here's my take.
    People are charged up because its a feature they really want and feel that it should be do-able for the devs, yes it requires work, but 1password requires our money and we'd happily pay an extra 10% or so to enable the plugin, (for example) as we didn't buy it expecting G-drive support. The hope is that 1Password is constantly developing to keep our data safe, so additional functionality should be part of that process.
    The second layer to this is that 1password is a great product. People would be pissed to have to switch to an inferior product over this.

Mitigating that from a customer perspective seems simple = charge us a little more for G-Drive and it'll pay for any dev overtime costs.
    The business side of that is a little more complex I'd imagine, and you're trying to essentially trying to avoid promising potential vapourware, i get that.

It's a tricky one, don't envy your position.
    If you had to guess, how much would the dev time cost to implement it?

• Hi @amonzur,

To be honest, if it was just a matter of dev time, it'd be done by now. If I remember correctly, the permission model of GoogleDrive is such that we have to have the user grant us permission for every file we want access to. 1Password's agilekeychain sync file can have hundreds of files (it's generally 1 file per item). When setting up sync we could ask for permission for all the files, and the user could grant it, and it'd be swell. But when another device adds an item, which adds a file... we don't have access to that file on iOS until we request it from the user. This would quickly become annoying for the user.

One of the benefits of our recent push towards OPVault is that OPVault no longer creates one file per item. This will open up more possibilities, and make things simpler... possibly even getting us to the point where we could consider something like GoogleDrive. OPVault is really cool, and will help us in all sorts of respects.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

OH MY GOSH.
    This is a great response from @rickfillion how do we pin it?
    I think if this was laid out like this at the beginning it would have been more digestible.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad Rick's answer was so informative! Whenever I see a reply from him, I make sure to pay close attention, since I almost always learn something new. :) Sorry if not having that specific answer earlier caused any confusion. I've made sure to save that in my own notes in case I see more questions about this.

• Thanks @amonzur. Happy I could help :)

Rick

• scionwest
    scionwest
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

It's disappointing that it's been exactly 4 years since 1Password first said "we're looking into Drive support" and nothing has been done. Despite the fact that I've paid for this app multiple times across all of the supported platforms for myself and my wife (before family sharing in the Apple world) I find myself shopping for another solution :/ As a software developer, I find it very surprising that Dropbox is so tightly coupled through-out the app that it's preventing them from de-coupling it and adding multiple storage provider support over a period of 4 years. sigh

It feels more like they don't care to add it, because of a small ROI and don't want to tell anyone that's the case. When iCloud storage was announced, that made the cut almost immediately. Google Drive is huge, not as large as Dropbox, but it's just as large as iCloud in terms of users, if not larger because all platforms can use it, not just Apples.

• scionwest
    scionwest
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

As a side-note I'm not aware of Google Drive requiring you to get user permission for every file as the only way to interact on Drive. It is certainly one of their Scopes, but not the only one. As long as the user has authenticated, you just upload, update and delete files using your OAuth token. They have support for full access to a users Drive specifically for scenarios such as sync. https://developers.google.com/drive/v2/web/scopes

• Hi @scionwest,

I appreciate the passion with which you're approaching this. I agree that it's unfortunate that 4 years after we said we'd look into it, it hasn't been developed. If I actually thought we'd never do it, I'd close the issues in our tracker, and would simply tell you that it's never happening. Which is what I say whenever someone asks about WebDAV for sync. WebDAV is a bag of hurt.

You're making some assumptions about our app that you really shouldn't be making though. This has nothing to do with coupling issues at all. The closest thing we have to coupling to Dropbox is that we know how their conflict files look like in order to better handle those. Adding the regex to know how other conflict files look like would be trivial.

Our Android app doesn't yet support Google Drive. Everyone here wants to see Google Drive added, but the people on that team more than anyone REALLY want to see it added. That's probably where it'd show up first. On the Mac side (since this is post on the Mac forum), it's really just a folder to us so we're ready whenever (though I'd like to add the support for the conflict files which should be easy).

You mentioned iCloud and the fact that we jumped on it. You're absolutely right, we jumped on that. There's a few reasons for why we did that. iCloud is all about "no fuss sync." Sync is one of the parts of the app that causes us the most customer support (I'm here answering a forum thread about sync right now), and one of the parts that confuses users the most. So the allure of a "just check the box and don't worry about it" sync is HUGE. We can't do that with Dropbox, nor Google Drive, nor WebDAV or much of anything else. The fact that iCloud Sync also limits the sync to within the same AppleID also helps here as it simplifies things. There's no such promises with Dropbox, or Google Drive or anything else where there's the concept of shared folders. iCloud gave us the opportunity to make a nice simple sync that's easy to use and where few things could go wrong. iCloud/CloudKit gave us the opportunity to take that idea and make it significantly better since iCloud/MobileDocuments was far from perfect. In both the cases of iCloud/MobileDocuments and iCloud/CloudKit, development was greatly simplified due to the fact that the OS does a bunch of the work for us. They literally had all of the components we needed out of the gates to make it all happen.

Rick

• darthbator
    darthbator
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

If the issue isn't close coupling with the dropbox API then what's up? Is it because it's not considered a feature that leads to sales? I would IAP for it! Is it due to a general lack of competition in this space? It's not like there's a lot of other high quality password managers out there. I actually came across this thread while considering the yearly fee for LastPass. We use it at work and I don't like using it nearly as much as your application. I wanted to see what kind of plans you had to bring your file syncing up to more modern standards for android users before actually deciding to switch. I can't imagine that I'm the only user who has dropbox installed all over specifically to sync my password database.

Is all of this syncing functionality set to be functionally deprecated for most users by the functionality that teams appears to offer?

• ZeFish
    ZeFish
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding +1 :)

• paulfokus
    paulfokus
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the votes! :)

Is all of this syncing functionality set to be functionally deprecated for most users by the functionality that teams appears to offer?

No, but we're absolutely focused on 1Password Teams/Families right now, and there we have much more control over data availability since we're not dependent on a 3rd party service.

We'd definitely like to revisit this in the future though, since many of us (myself included) still sync data separate from 1Password Teams/Families. So perhaps in the future we'll have the bandwidth to add support for additional sync options, such as Google Drive.

• halshehri
    halshehri
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the +1! :chuffed:

• skipandkatie
    skipandkatie
    Community Member
    Options

We're migrating all our stuff from Dropbox to Google Drive, so we're obviously interested in Google Drive support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! :pirate: :+1:

• bezhermoso
    bezhermoso
    Community Member
    Options

Would like to pitch in a +1 for this feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! I hope we'll be able to grant this wish in the future. :chuffed:

• oliveru
    oliveru
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Just wanted to use a password manager, came across yours - but as I saw no Google Drive support on Android - that's a game changer. Will look back to your app when it's there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! I'm sorry that 1Password doesn't fulfill your Google Drive requirement right now, but hopefully we'll be able to better meet your needs in the future.

• Lury
    Lury
    Community Member
    Options

I'm really surprised by this discussion.

Answer from @rickfillion shows probably how closed-minded you are - why can't you make your "agilekeychain" one file then?
    simple tar file internally extracted on-the-fly would do - permission problem solved!

my agilekeychain folder is 92MB of which 89MB are thumb files... this could be regenerated locally or stored in separate file to speed-up pass sync.

Anyway, telling paying customers that you can't add this kind of feature, while your app is based on implementing high-level security - lets face it, way more problematic topic - shows that you're faking this discussion and you simply don't want this feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lury: I'm really sorry if you feel you've been misled. We try to be clear and not promise things we can't deliver, and where we may have failed in that regard, I apologize. But insults aside (and please, do keep that to yourself in the future), It's really not fair to presume our intentions.

I mean this in two ways: when we say that it's something we'd like to do in the future, we mean it, whether you choose to believe that or not; and also, please remember that you didn't purchase 1Password with the understanding that Google Drive was, is, or would be supported in the future. I don't believe it was said that we "can't" support it, only that it isn't feasible for us right now.

One of the great things about software is that, unlike many other things we spend money on, the thing we paid for gets better over time (unless it's abandoned, which is unfortunately what happens sometimes...) That's really awesome! But to expect that it will do something specific and new in the future that was not promised takes that a step too far. We're going to keep improving 1Password, but we can only do so with the resources we have available, and that means we have to be selective about what we do and when we do it, with a focus on doing the most good for the greatest number of people.

This may all sound like splitting hairs I don't have, but I guess my point is that the view of "I paid for it, so now I expect you to do this other thing" really hurts everyone involved: it hurts you because you want and expect something you cannot have (at least for now); it hurts us because we want to give it to you anyway, but don't have the resources to do so in the time frame you seem to expect it; and it also hurts is in the sense that the work we've already done (which you paid for when you purchased a license) and work we have yet to do in the future (should we tackle cross platform Google Drive syncing) is being taken for granted as well.

Unreasonable expectations aren't good for anyone involved, whether we're taking about marrying someone and hoping they change for us, or making a commitment to something less tangible like a software product based on something it doesn't offer. And these expectations rob us of the joy and wonder we might experience in the future. I sincerely hope that you're using 1Password today because of the many awesome things it can do for you, and we'll continue to do our best to "surprise" you by improving 1Password on the future — perhaps with Google Drive in particular.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Lury and and other thread readers: No one should ever pay for software based on what they wished it could do. Only pay for it if it does what you need when you buy it. And that isn't just about 1Password. As @brenty says, perhaps, in the future, your favorite feature will be added, but there is never a guarantee. Maybe it won't. Most companies wouldn't give you the opportunity to even suggest otherwise.

• Croc
    Croc
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive Support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your vote! :) :+1:

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member
    Options

Just leaving my vote as well for Google Drive support. After over 2 years of "we're thinking about it", I've decided to start exploring other password management solutions, since there may be better alternatives out there that support Google Drive. Cheers all! Glad to live in a world where we have options!

This discussion has been closed.