Does teams support TOTP

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member

Does teams support TOTP? It is kind of questionable about sharing a 2FA key, but as per blog posts, if you have strong passwords but are forced to use 2FA (particularly in basic accounts that don't have 2FA per user) then it is handy for a team to assign a login to someone along with that 2FA access.

I can't read anything about TOTP for teams, and haven't yet tried a beta (if its still available).

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @365nice,

Login items in Teams can have TOTP details for those logins added to them from any of our Teams compatible client apps. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

That's great news. Might be worth noting somewhere as it wasnt obvious that I could see.

• Jacob
    edited May 2016
    Options

@365nice Oh we definitely have it in each of the user guides. :) Just search for TOTP in our knowledge base and our documentation will surface. Hope that helps!

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

I think you should revisit that - its not on the main product page: https://1password.com/teams/, and if you go to the support page and type totp in the search (eg. https://support.1password.com/search/?q=totp) while multiple articles come up, none of them are related to 1P teams.... so I would say you have to delve way to deep to understand if that feature is present... just saying...

• Jacob
    Options

@365nice Good point. TOTP is not one of our top features, which is why we didn't mention it on the product site. The reason it's not connected to 1Password Teams specifically in the knowledge base is because adding a TOTP to an item is not fully supported in 1Password.com yet. You can create a custom One-Time Password field, but there's not a way to link it to the service you're using. This is something we'll be adding in the future, and it will make its way into the user guides once we have one for 1Password Teams. :)

ref: B5-1607

• Jacob
    Options

@365nice Okay I have a bit of news: We do have support for adding TOTP, and I skipped over it. You'll need to paste the secret or otpauth URL into the field that you've created. Here's what that looks like:

We may look into a QR code scanner in the future, but implementing that in 1Password.com could be quite challenging and as I mentioned before, this is a less popular feature. I hope that helps though! Let us know what you think. :)

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Just to confirm - I didn't have to do anything special, a shared TOTP works fine in teams (of course its debatable if it really adds extra security over a strong password, however it does mean that we can tick the right boxes for narrow minded corporate security audits).

So really pleased on that front - its a feature worth calling out for teams that may need to turn on 2FA for things.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@365nice I'm glad you're pleased with 1Password Teams!

Thanks for the feedback about calling out TOTP when we talk about 1Password Teams. Like Jacob said, it's not one of our top-level features, but it's good to get feedback from customers like you so we can evaluate what we should document / brag about / market. 8-)

This discussion has been closed.