Printing a secure note does not contain all info

Options
StarPine
StarPine
Community Member

When printing a secure note, the preview shows an empty first page which should contain all data inside that secure note. However for a lot of secure notes it is incomplete and does not print all the information inside that secure note.
Now that sharing has been limited, printing to PDF and protecting it with a password is a great way to share my documentation with my clients. However for as long as I can remember this has never worked properly, but now it needs to be made stable and reliable.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:print

Comments

• Hi @StarPine

We've seen this being reported a couple of times in the past few days. We have opened an issue with the development team to look into fixing this. Thank you for taking the time to report it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: OPM-2810

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

It seems to be an issue mostly with older secure notes. New notes don't always display a first white screen.

The second page and other pages after that seem to be complete.
    It is an issue that has been around since version 4, I have made a support call for it then, but it was not a priority at the time. Now that sharing options have been limited, I would really like to use this feature reliably.
    Kind regards

Jeffrey

• Hi @StarPine ,

Thanks for the screenshot, that will help. To help us diagnose this issue, can you answer a couple of questions:

1. Does that note have any non-english characters? (e.g. accented characters, unicode symbols, etc.?)
    2. Does this happen with notes that only have english characters?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

My answer to your questions:

1. To differentiate certain sections I use a bullet • or -- two stripes. And when a user has an accent in his or her name I use that as well.
    2. Well, another secure note containing an # in a WiFi password and has a & as well. That note seems to print ok, and the text used in those secure notes are the same.

Copying the contents from one secure note and pasting inside a new note does not resolve the issue.
    Kind regards

Jeffrey

• Great, thanks for the info!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Any update available? I am still unable to provide my clients with a secure PDF containing their secure notes in an easy way. Now with other sharing options gone, it makes 1Password a bit harder to share info with my clients.
    I would appreciate any update you can give me, this issue has been around a long time. Now with other sharing options gone, you should provide customers with an easy way to "print" secure notes and encypt those with a password easily.
    Kind regards

Jeffrey

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@StarPine,

See if the onepif2html converter in the converter suite will suite your needs until a fix is ready by AgileBits. If you need the output format changed, let me know. Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits.

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Downloaded the converter suite and used the testing bits, tried the 1Password (for printing) of AppleScript_Conversion_Helper. It does generate a html file, but it is completely unusable for printing. For instance I only get: ⏎⏎— and no "real" returns in the text. Everything is in one long line of text. Sorry. Any others I can try? It might just work!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@StarPine,

The HTML output is so that you can use a browser to view the result, where it can be printed or exported as PDF.

The formatting was produced to create a compact report of all the data in a 1Password export. But it is entirely driven by CSS and XSLT (XML stylesheets), so can be completely customized.

What do you want to see, and how do you want it formatted?

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Well basically how I created the secure note in 1password in the first place, with returns, tabs and items like this:

Client info

info of the current setup

–– more info ––
    some info
    some random password more text and so on

–– even more info ––
    important stuff

• bullets for info as well

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

@StarPine

So you want it more like this:

And because this is all driven by CSS, its easy to get fixed width notes:

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am also having problems when printing my secure notes. The fairly long note that starts 1/3 of the way down on the second page outputs blank space for the rest of the page. Whitespace is not just skipped - the note text is missing. The rest of the notes print okay (except that lines are truncated at the bottom of the page - there is no proper pagination that preserves all lines). This has happened before some time ago. I didn't report it but remember seeing the issue at some point. There are no special (non-ASCII) characters in any of the notes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ag1pwun,

Thanks for letting us know this is also happening to you, and I apologize for the inconvenience! Our developers are looking into this, and I'll let them know you're also running into this issue.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, let me know if I can provide any more information. I occasionally print a half dozen secure notes to place in a safe deposit box. Right now I copy the text from each note and place it in a word processing document, print the document and then delete it. Having the 1P print mechanism work correctly will be a lot easier and less error prone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for offering to help us out with more information! I don't believe our developers need to know anything else at this time, but we'll keep you in mind in case they do. We really appreciate it! :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully a solution will be presented, as ag1pwun states I do the same actions: copy, paste in a word processing and then print a pdf with a password protection on it, which is more prone to errors. This basic feature for sharing secure information needs a bit of work, so hopefully the developers will give this one priority, now that other sharing options have been disabled.

• Hi @StarPine ,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry we haven't gotten to this yet. I do want to remind you that the Item sharing through Messages and Mail has returned in the latest 1Password update. We still plan on fixing the printing, but since you mention item sharing at the start of this thread so I want to make sure you knew it has returned.

Regards,
    Kevin

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin, thanks for the update. I can see this option has returned and now it's even less secure then before. The secure note will be pasted as text into an email including the link. Layout looks great though, but isn't this a step back in security? Why did you extend this option to paste clear text in mail? I do appreciate the feature though, but I won't be sending all the passwords in a plain email.
    This printing feature needs to be fixed soon, providing my clients with a password protected PDF is now more work than it should be.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine passwords shared via iMessage or email aren't any less secure than they were before. They were previously obfuscated, yes, but anyone with 1Password would have been able to access the information contained therein. It was basically the illusion of security, which is why we removed the feature in the first place. It was restored -- with the current warning that it's not secure to share information in that way -- with the caveat that we would no longer make it seem like items shared in that way are more secure than they really are.

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @nmott, thank you for a very fast reply.

The code 1password provided in an email does seem more secure to the naked eye, but I know it's not. You are right, it's not a matter of less secure. Any indication when this printing issue will be fixed?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@starpine I'm sorry to say that I don't have an update on when this might be fixed. Development takes time, as I'm sure you know, and it's hard to predict when something might be available to our customers. I hope that it will happen soon, though :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully soon! If there's anything I can test to assist in the development of this feature, please let me know.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• sleekfast11
    sleekfast11
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problems.

I print out a pdf file today for both my secure notes and pw logins just in case my one password backups get corrupted, etc.

I just noticed today that some very important portions of data are missing in the printouts.

I usually "assume" the printing function operates correctly.

This is no joke, and should be moved to the TOP of the priority list of fixes.

Not because of me, or anybody else, but because the ability to printout (pdf or paper) this information is an important archive tool, and one that may save a user from AGONY.

You guys need to get some hustle and fix this.

• Thanks sleekfast11,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We are certainly aware of the issues this could cause and hope to have a fix available soon.

Regards,
    Kevin

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin, this is not a new issue. I have requested to get this fixed on earlier versions before. As sleekfast11 mentions you need to give this top priority and make a fix for it. I am glad to help to any development, but since creating this post on the 13th of April two months ago NO significant progress has been reported by 1password only some form of a "thank you and hope to get this fixed".
    We as paying customers need a stable way to archive and present passwords through printing with a password without losing any critical data on those pages.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StarPine I understand your frustration. If I were having problems like this in an app I trusted as much as 1Password I'd also be upset. But it's worth remembering that there are many customers who might have problems that mean as much or more to them. Our development team is hard at work to get all of these taken care of -- and to introduce new, exciting features besides -- but that's going to take time.

We as paying customers need a stable way to archive and present passwords through printing with a password without losing any critical data on those pages.

I agree. But as far as I'm aware, this bug appears with Secure Notes. I suspect a majority of users aren't printing, and of those who are, most are printing logins or other information directly instead of first copying them to a Secure Note. This is a fringe issue. That doesn't mean it's unimportant! It just means that bigger problems are going to solved first so we can help as many people as we possibly can.

Like I said at the top, I understand your frustration. I sincerely hope this will be fixed soon and I'm sorry I don't have more to share :(

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates yet? It has been almost half a year...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StarPine,

Unfortunately I'm afraid I don't have anything new to report about this, and I'd like to apologize for that because we previously told you we hoped to have it fixed 'soon'. While it's true that we had hoped to have it fixed by now, it obviously didn't work out that way, and I'm sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. :(

We still have an open ticket for it in our issue tracker, but unfortunately other things have come up which have taken priority, and our developers have not yet been able to revisit the Secure Note printing issue. I don't have any timeframe for when to expect a fix, but I'll certainly let our developers know you checked in again to ask about it.

In the meantime, I hope you've been able to use one of the workarounds previously mentioned in this discussion (for example, MrC's converter utility, or one of the (re-added) item sharing options, or even copy/paste to a text file). I know they're not as convenient as the Print option, though.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But please do let us know if you have additional questions or need help with something else. :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, thank you for an honest answer. The workaround with copying and pasting text in another texteditor and then printing that as a PDF works ok for now. Not ideal and it takes a bit more work, but it works for now. I did try the converter utility, but I wasn't to happy about the results. Hopefully this issue will be resolved some day and the developers find some time soon from the other great new features to fix this little problem. Thanks for the update and hope to see a new update/refresh of 1password where this issue will be fixed. Thanks! Kind regards, Jeffrey StarPine Support

This discussion has been closed.