On an external boot drive with 10.11.5, 1password 6 is asking me to remove my Yosemite 1p6 install

Options
mascotca
mascotca
Community Member

This external drive is a test since El Cap has been bad for me previously. I do not at this time wish to remove my internal Yosemite sys drive's 1p6 version as I have not yet fully transitioned to El Cap.

What should I do. I do not believe the El Cap drive's 1P6 is syncing correctly, though it doesn't report not, the info doesn't seem up to date. I received a warning about 1p mini being screwy as well.

I don't ever recall having had problems when using an install on an external drive (with a test OS); 1p6 has previously co-existed in more than 1 location without all this confusion.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• mascotca
    mascotca
    Community Member
    Options

This is a Dropbox sync method, btw.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mascotca,

I'm sorry you're running into some problems with 1Password on your external/El Cap drive! It sounds like you're having a couple different issues there, and we'll be happy to help solve both of them.

On an external boot drive with 10.11.5, 1password 6 is asking me to remove my Yosemite 1p6 install

If I understand your description, this sounds like a strange issue in Yosemite and El Capitan which causes the operating system to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. Are you getting that message when trying to launch the 1Password app, or install an update, or something else? If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that message and post it here so we can see it.

I do not believe the El Cap drive's 1P6 is syncing correctly, though it doesn't report not, the info doesn't seem up to date.

Does that mean you're able to launch the main 1Password app on the El Cap drive? Can you also launch the copy of 1Password on the Yosemite drive? If so, try adding a brand new item (like a Secure Note) to 1Password on Yosemite, then check 1Password on El Cap to see if that new items syncs or not. If it doesn't, please check the sync settings for 1Password on each drive (open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync). If you're using Dropbox sync, it needs to be enabled in the sync preferences of 1Password on both drives, and they need to be pointing to the exact same sync file in Dropbox.

I received a warning about 1p mini being screwy as well.

Did that warning appear on the El Cap drive? Do you remember what it said or what it was about?

Once we know more details about the problems, we'll have a better idea of how to get things working again. Thanks! :)

• mascotca
    mascotca
    Community Member
    Options

I got the message initially while updating 1Password (I think it may have still been version 5) from this El Cap test drive that hadn't been used since December. The message resembled your website's page re "How to remove multiple, conflicting copies..." etc. See the following link to your graphic:

https://support.1password.com/articles/remove-multiple-apps/extra-copies.png

Except it referenced only my Yosemite internal partition. One of the button's available was something like "Continue (or Use?) Anyway" which is what I clicked. If I check the updates from preferences in 1P6, it says I am up to date.

I followed the instructions on your conflicts page and found no other duplicate 1p6 apps except that Yosemite partition.

I then went into spotlight preferences and placed the Yosemite partition into the Privacy tab's exclusions area.

If I exit 1p6 app and restart it I don't get any further errors but I think perhaps you're right about the mini not being correct.

(As far as my original sync complaint, I now realize this is likely related to the fact that Dropbox is STILL updating the El Cap drive's Dropbox folder, which I didn't notice at first.)

Finally the 1P mini warning escapes me now but may have simply been part of the original warning about the update conflicting with the Yosemite partition's version etc.

TIA

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @mascotca!

To make a long story short, if you don't normally get an error message when trying to launch 1Password, and you only saw that warning during the update, you don't need to worry about it. Having multiple copies of 1Password can potentially cause a problem so we give a warning about that during the update, but some customers don't experience that issue at all, which is why we included the button to continue with the update.

In case you're interested in knowing a bit more about this: There's an issue in Yosemite and El Capitan which causes the operating system (specifically launchd) to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. Basically, we trigger an event that causes launchd to open 1Password mini, but launchd opens the wrong one (even if we try to specify the right one). It doesn't affect many apps because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time. This is something that Apple would need to fix at the OS level, so unfortunately we don't have any control over it except to warn users in advance that they might run into a problem if there's another copy of the app somewhere. But the issue is a bit random so it doesn't happen for everyone.

As for the sync problem, I think you might be right that it's because Dropbox is still syncing files to the local Dropbox folder on that drive. Once it's done doing that, see if changes to 1Password sync back & forth between the two systems. If it's still a problem, please let us know and we'll be happy to continue looking into that with you. Cheers! :)

• mascotca
    mascotca
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you much. It looks like my issues have resolved. Crossing my fingers they stay that way!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mascotca, on behalf of Drew_AG, you're very welcome! Please don't hesitate to ask if you need help with anything else :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.