Prompted to sign in to my Apple ID for iCloud in my browser (URL: idmsa.apple.com)

Options
chrlswtt
chrlswtt
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Starting this morning, 1Password is auto starting Safari or creating a new tab about every 30 seconds and requesting my Apple ID and Password. I've never had this behavior before and I am suspicious whether this is a spoof to obtain my Apple Info. I haven't entered any info but it's driving me nuts. I've searched the forum and found similar complaints but not exactly the problem I'm having. I've included a screen shot.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• RobHey
    RobHey
    Community Member
    Options

1Password automatically opens browser tab with url: "idmsa.apple.com..." permanently! This happens when 1Password is open and unlocked. No matter whether 1Passowrd mini is enabled or disabled. It appeared today - I made no changes in the browser settings or in 1Password. What is wrong? My favorite browser is firefox 46.0.1

1Password Version: 6
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
    Referrer: kb-search:opens tabs, kb-search:idmsa.apple.com

• ncs51
    ncs51
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing happening to me. What's going on?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobHey, I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Are you using the Mac App Store version of 1Password or the version downloaded from the AgileBits store?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrlswtt @ncs51 thanks for reaching out. We believe this is caused by the expiration of the token used for syncing your data via iCloud for the version of 1Password that hasn't been downloaded from the Mac App Store. Can you both please let me know if:

1. You're using the Mac App Store or AgileBits store version of 1Password
    2. You're syncing your information via iCloud
  • rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I am using: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store. This morning, each time I go to log in to a website, I also get a new window that tries to login to Apple. I finally relented and let 1Password send me a four digit code to my iPhone. I am now (apparently) permanently signing in to:

https://cdn.apple-cloudkit.com/ck-auth/?prtn=24&host=setup.apple-cloudkit.com&oauth_verifier=OATVRF12fa0ff8-cafb-4b30-baae-d673854191200893ac5823ea50634c8129af40b9a1249ce77d23772a42ca6453c8ae3ebc0b048cb44f31bf50e8eaa385398655d7368a63294e1d8bf3106854544ac24aa2b16a2667ee4f519828895b0ad27dd211b8a7f61ea2c2d39584f092d32d1e37c29ad4585a47&oauth_token=OATTKN3099a84c-f85b-4a2f-adc5-7febf1a105f82c0b67a638376df9bee3575777cd9b06fa3d62344d13441d399e93661fcb9b04c3671f57325b0696b65e31c0cbab1a4b7799228104b8cd876a58e7ceea46ba218bb2ff38834b938281a844314109c9d2585a47

What is going on here? Has 1Password been hacked or something? 1Password has never done this before, and I'm not sure what I should do with my Safari browser. (I'm running Mac OS 10.11.5 with Safari 9.1.1.)

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @robhey and @rkbaker48,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Indeed this is something that has been happening since this morning.

You can check out our answer in this thread.

Hope this helps.

• RobHey
    RobHey
    Community Member
    Options

@nathanvf Thank you for this hint - it worked well!

Also thank you to @nmott for the quick reaction.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @robhey. :chuffed:

• ncs51
    ncs51
    Community Member
    Options

I have the AgileBits version, and yes I sync via iCloud.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know! This is a known issue, and we've published the fix here. This is the most relevant bit:

1. Open the 1Password application and go to Preferences and click on Sync.
    2. Select the Primary vault and set Sync to none. Do not check the box to remove data from iCloud when asked. You want to leave it there.
    3. Set Sync back to iCloud and it will ask you to log in with your Apple ID one more time. This should be the last time, until your login token expires at some point in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience :( But that should take care of the problem!

• ncs51
    ncs51
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This seems to have solved the problem.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ncs51 on behalf of nmott, you're welcome, I'm glad to hear it worked. Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• ThirdLeft152
    ThirdLeft152
    Community Member
    Options

Worked for me! thank you

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ThirdLeft152 Glad to hear that! On behalf of nathanvf, you're welcome! :chuffed:

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Nathan and all: the suggested solution worked for me. And sorry for this late response; I've been out and about all day. Cheers!

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner but the fix also worked for me. Thank You

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrlswtt It's great to hear that! Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else that we can do to help! :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rkbaker48 I'm glad to hear it's all up and working now! On behalf of Nathanvf, you're welcome! Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Since upgrading to 1P 6.3, over 2 days I've twice seen this error: "iCloud session expired." I had never seen this before.

Then I'm asked to log in:

Is this to be expected? How quickly do the tokens expire? Why isn't this happening with other apps that use CloudKit?

1Password Version: 6.3
    OS Version: 10.11.5

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@odysseus I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. This is to be expected; many of the tokens used for CloudKitJS were set to expire yesterday. All you have to do is enter your Apple ID credentials to continue syncing your 1Password data via iCloud :chuffed:

A more thorough explanation of what's happened can be found here. The good news is that because you're running 1Password 6.3 you shouldn't have to go through the process outlined in that post; like I said, you just have to log in to iCloud.

I hope that answers your question! 8-)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

But I've already entered my credentials twice since yesterday!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@odysseus thanks for letting me know :(

Can you run through the steps outlined in that post to see if that helps? Here they are again just so they're easy to find:

1. Open the 1Password application and go to Preferences and click on Sync.
    2. Select the Primary vault and set Sync to none. Do not check the box to remove data from iCloud when asked. You want to leave it there.
    3. Set Sync back to iCloud and it will ask you to log in with your Apple ID one more time. This should be the last time, until your login token expires at some point in the future.

That should resolve the problem once and for all. Sorry again for the inconvenience, and I'm sure we'll get this taken care of :)

• velvor
    velvor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem, except that I don't receive the first error screen. Every time I open the application, two browser windows open requesting me to sign into my iCloud account (the second screen) Worst of all is that when I login the screen keeps trying to download the page:

http://cl.ly/1g413W3h0p2A

It seems that it's not affecting the sync of information, but still, it's pissing me off a lot.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@velvor that's understandable. Are you running 1Password 6.2.1 or 1Password 6.3? The multiple windows opening up without an explanation for why is a known issue with 6.2.1 that is supposed to have been resolved in the new version we released yesterday.

• velvor
    velvor
    Community Member
    Options

Oh! that was quick!!, thanks, I was going to say that I found the solution in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/307858#Comment_307858

but the update also helps, I've done it.

Thanks!!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@velvor We aim to please! I'm glad that the problem's been solved, and I hope you like all the other improvements we made in 1Password 6.3 for Mac 8-)

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning. I'm sorry to report that the problem has resurfaced again this morning. I've had to turn off syncing with iCloud to avoid my browser from opening multiple windows at Apple. I thought that the fix suggested yesterday would last more than one day. Is there a more permanent fix available for this problem. It's quite annoying. Thanks.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rkbaker48 it appears that the tokens expired again last night. If you upgrade to 1Password 6.3 you shouldn't have to deal with multiple browser pages opening, but you will have to sign in through the page that pops up in order to continue syncing your data via iCloud. The expiration of these tokens isn't something we can control, but we are doing our best to make everything as non-intrusive as we can.

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to version 6.3, so I'll have to see tomorrow if the problem is resolved. Do you know why this is happening at Apple? Are you saying that these tokens are going to expire everyday at Apple's iCloud and that I'm going to have to login with my Apple credentials every day in order to keep syncing with iCloud? If so, can I go back to syncing 1Password with Dropbox? What do you suggest?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rkbaker48,

We do not expect that this will happen daily, no. If it does begin to occur that frequently we'll reach out to Apple for an explanation. But I suspect they are just doing maintenance and that is causing the need to re-authenticate. That is just speculation though. As nmott alluded to the expiration happens on Apple's end, so we don't have a lot of visibility into all the details here.

If this becomes a frequent occurance, and you'd like to switch back to Dropbox for syncing, we'd be happy to help with that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.