Expected that 1Password Mini Save New Login would prompt for Login info

Options
matthewlmcclure
matthewlmcclure
Community Member

I find the behavior of 1Password Mini's Save New Login (Command-N) surprising. It seems that it has no effect unless my browser window has a page with a log in form open. I would have expected it to open a dialog that would allow me to enter a new login's info manually, in any case.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @matthewlmcclure,

I know how frustrating it is when software doesn't work the way you thought it would.
    I will be happy to clarify why 1Password behaves like that.

1Password does nothing on the page without log in form, because it doesn't only need to know what the username and password of a page is, but also needs to retrieve information of ​where​ to fill it in. 1Password won’t be able to retrieve all the necessary information if you just type in a username and password on any webpage, it would need to do some magic to work.

I know that any sufficiently advanced technology should be indistinguishable from magic (hello Arthur C. Clarke!), but right now we believe this behaviour of 1Password is correct.

Feel free to ask for any clarification about any of this. We are here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.