Syncing Desktop App and Browser Extension Windows 10

Options
Callieking
Callieking
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
I just signed up for 1Password Teams. However, I am having trouble getting it working on my computers. My main computer is Windows 10, I have downloaded the 1Password 6 beta desktop program and installed the extension on chrome. However, they do not seem to be syncing. I have updated my computer, installed and reinstalled both the app and the extension and restarted the computer and the browser.

Are there any workarounds or other browsers I could use?

Screenshot is attached. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:windows 10, kb:undefined, kb-search:windows 10, kb:undefined, kb-search:windows 10

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @Callieking! Sorry about that. To clarify, is the issue that you can't use the browser extension or that the app is not syncing with your team account? If it's the former, you may need to register the helper so it connects to the browser. To do that, choose Settings -> Options from the top right of the app and click "Register browser extension helper". Also make sure 1Password 4 isn't running. Let us know how that goes!

• Callieking
    Callieking
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @penderworth, Thanks for your response! I am not able to use the browser extension. It installs but there seems to be no connection with the app as the browser extension just doesn't do anything. I tried clicking the register browser extension helper but nothing happens when I click it, even after shutting everything down, restarting, reinstalling again, etc.
    I already uninstalled 1Password 4 so that isn't an issue.

• Callieking
    Callieking
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried installing the Firefox browser but am running into the same issue with 1Password 6 Beta. 1password 4 was working with the browser extension, so I am considering moving back to 4. If I do, will I still be able to sync across my four devices, Windows 10, Windows 8, ipad air, and iphone5?

• UMAknowPat
    UMAknowPat
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I have a similar problem although I have the following difference: when I click the extension button in Chrome (or FF), the message "No matching items found" is displayed when the Windows App (version 6 Beta) is open (when it is closed, clicking the button launches it). I am using a trial Teams version.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Callieking, can you confirm that you have the 1Password 6 app launched and unlocked when you attempt to use the extension? If you're still not able to fill, or you are getting the "no matching items found" message that @UMAknowPat is seeing, switch to the 1Password 6 beta app, select the Login item you want to use and click on "Browse" on top right. It should then open the site in your browser and it should then fill.

I have a similar problem although I have the following difference: when I click the extension button in Chrome (or FF), the message "No matching items found" is displayed

@UMAknowPat can you double check the url you're trying to fill and ensure that it matches the url for that login item in 1Password 6.

Let me know if you're still experiencing trouble with the extensions, or if there's anything other trouble you run into.

• UMAknowPat
    UMAknowPat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it seems to work but I didn't understand how to use it at first.
    The message I got was to tell me that no password entry had been created for the URL on which I was when I clicked the 1Password button in Chrome.
    Now my concern is to automatically add a new entry into 1Password when I login for the first time on a site. If I have to enter all entries manually, it's not so convenient (I had the impression this was easily feasible with 1Password 4).
    Thanks for the support.
    Patrick

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @UMAknowPat,

Saving data via the 1Password extension is not yet implemented for 1Password 6 Beta, it is supported in 1Password 4 for Windows.

For the moment, 1Password 6 Beta is limited to filling your existing Login items directly on the site's login page. It does not do anything else yet. Saving, submitting, generating new passwords and an extension viewer are coming in the near future.

• UMAknowPat
    UMAknowPat
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT, thanks for the reply. Do you have an estimate on the release date of such features ?

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @UMAknowPat,

We don't have a timeframe yet, the support for 1Password extension is one of our top priorities and the most requested feature, so this is something we want to finish soon but we have a lot of things we're working on right now as well.

• RADIOSCHULTZ
    RADIOSCHULTZ
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running in mixed scenario. Subscribed newly for the version 6 Family account. On my MAC i installed the browser extensions for Firefox, Safari and Chrome. The Windwos PC is running with W10 and 1Passwort does not work in the Extensions. The Helper is registered, but the Browser button tells me "No matching items found". W10 has the 1Password 6 beta installed. Also I went through all comments in this threat, tried everything and now I'm planning to reinstall. The mix of different versions is so painful and cost my time and nerves. What can I do?

• RADIOSCHULTZ
    RADIOSCHULTZ
    Community Member
    Options

Now I reinstalled 1Password 6 beta and installed the WIN7 version 4.6.x 1Password. Where can I find my license key?

• gerhardpratt
    gerhardpratt
    Community Member
    Options

@RADIOSCHULTZ I agree the mix of different versions is very painful. I spent nearly all of yesterday trying to configure W10 with the app from the Microsoft Store and with the 1Password extensions. From what I read now (above) I need not have bothered - apparently this is not yet working.
    @MikeT Can you confirm, I might as well stop working on this? I using 1Password for families (still during the free period), I am running 1Password 6.0.161u on W10 and Firefox extension 4.5.7.b5 . Your advertising is all about how universal 1Password is, this is why I chose the product. But my experience has been poor so far due to these headaches (and others which I have reported).

• RADIOSCHULTZ
    RADIOSCHULTZ
    Community Member
    Options

@gerhardpratt @MikeT I work now over 5 years with 1Password and have stored 1445 logins on different platforms.
    These facts don't stop me however to go away from 1password. Can we not expect from a reputable software company that the software works?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

We do apologize that we have multiple 1Password Beta apps designed for different purposes, I will follow up with everyone's question after this post that explains the situation with different builds and the browser extensions.

Different versions of 1Password on Windows

1. The only stable version is 1Password 4 for Windows and this is our latest version. This version has full support for extensions but it does not support 1Password Families/Teams nor will it be updated to support them. The support for 1Password Families/Team is coming in 1Password 6 for Windows next month.
    2. We do offer two separate Beta versions of 1Password 6 that works with Families and only one works with extensions, the desktop version offered here.
    3. 1Password in the Windows 10 Store is built as a Universal Windows Platform app, it runs on all Windows 10 devices, its main goal is to run on the mobile devices and to work with Microsoft's latest modern frameworks, which is limited to Windows 10. It does not yet support browser extensions and may not for a while as we're focusing on testing it first in the desktop app.
    4. Due to a large number of customers running Windows 7 and this was our highest request for many months, we chose to work on a separate desktop app but based on the same codebase as the Windows Store app to allow them to use 1Password 6 Beta on Windows 7 , 8.1 and 10. You can find it here, this desktop app has the initial support for browser extensions which is explained further below
    5. 1Password 6 Beta builds are unstable builds with beta risks, do not use this if you're not willing to help us test features and report bugs. There will be issues as you'd expect from a beta build. This is not a beta build of a stable product.

Browser extension support

1. The browser extension support has been recently implemented only for the desktop app, and we recommend that all desktop users switch to this desktop beta version assuming they're not using the Windows 10 mobile devices.
    2. The browser extension right now is limited to filling, it does not offer saving, submitting, generating new passwords and its own UI for the moment. This is being worked on as we speak but we don't have a timeframe on when it will all be done
    3. If you see No matching items found when you click on the 1Password icon in your browser, that means it is working right now and it cannot find any Login items that matches the site you're on. This should work on most sites but if not and your Login item has the correct URL address that matches the site's address in the browser, please let us know which site it is, so we can test it.
    4. For better support, open the 1Password 6 Beta app first, locate the Login item you want and click on Browse button on top right
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @RAIDOSCHULTZ,

If you're seeing No matching items found, then the extensions are working and connected with 1Password 6 Beta app.

However, are you going to the site's login page before you click on the 1Password icon to fill your data in? The 1Password icon in your browser will not show a menu but simply fills your data in when you're on the login page.

If you are on the site's login page, does the site's URL match the same saved address in your Login item?

Can you try opening 1Password 6 Beta, locate your Login item and click on "Browse" on top right.

Make sure you're using 1Password 6.0.173d, which is our latest version. To find out which version you have, open 1Password 6 Beta, click on Settings on top right, and the bottom of the Settings menu will show you the version.

There are no 1Password 4 license keys included for Families as only 1Password 6 will get full support for Families. If you need this, let me know and I'll send you a private message about how this works.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gerhardpratt,

You'll need to switch to the 1Password 6 Beta desktop instead, which you can find here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

The Windows 10 Store app does not yet support extensions, this is coming later but the desktop app does have limited support for filling as mentioned above.

• gerhardpratt
    gerhardpratt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT - I will switch to 1Password 6 Beta. Somewhat frustrating as this is not obvious for a new user ... see my summary at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66615/which-download-windows-10#latest

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gerhardpratt,

We agree, we've updated our Get the apps page on the 1Password.com to help direct you to the same desktop app.

We have plans to simplify everything and get our docs up to date.

This discussion has been closed.