Duplicate listings

Options
Jeff Burger
Jeff Burger
Community Member

One thing that has always bugged me about 1Password is that as far as I can tell, I really need to keep duplicate listings for most items. Take, for example, a frequent flyer club membership. I want to list it under Reward Programs, but if I put all the login info there, it the 1Password applet won't recognize the website and log me in. I have to put a separate listing under logins. Is there a way to have listings under Reward Programs, Credit Cards, etc. contain all info and work with the applet to log me in to the appropriate websites so I don't have to list the same item under Logins? Or is this something you might implement in the future?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:login

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jeff Burger,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! You’re right, depending on how you choose to organize 1Password, you might end up with a few items that seem like duplicates.

The categories that you want to make sure are filled in are the Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities, as these can be filled in on webforms. We call them our ‘primary’ categories because they’re a little bit more powerful than the others. The secondary categories are mostly there for your own organization. If you’d prefer to keep your database a bit more streamlined, you could always use the custom fields available in all 1Password items to add extra details to your Login item, for example.

We’ve heard requests for more flexible category organization, and it is something that we’re exploring for the future. It is a significant undertaking, as it would require re-architecting our database structure, so I certainly can’t promise anything, but I’ll let our team know that it’s something you’d be interested in seeing. :)

• Jeff Burger
    Jeff Burger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, Megan. It's more than a few duplicates—more like a hundred or so. Seems like the solution might be to make all the categories what you call "primary" categories that can be filled in on webforms. In other words, I don't need a duplicate listing for a credit card in logins so long as I list all the necessary info in the credit card listing. It would be good if the same applied to items in the secondary categories.

Yes, as you mention, I could use custom fields to add all details to login items, but then I wouldn't have the nice breakdown by category that I have now (unless I wanted to create folders).

I like having those Agile-created categories. I just wish they were all capable of working with webforms so I didn't have to create duplicate listings.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jeff Burger,

Thanks for the feedback! As I mentioned above, you’re not the only one who has expressed interest in seeing something new happen with categories. I’ll pass your thoughts along to our team.

We’re always looking for ways to make 1Password more user-friendly, and we’d love to revisit the category structure in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.