Encrypting File System popup

Options

I just updated to the latest version of 1Password, and am now getting an Encrypting File System popup. When looking at why this suddenly started happening, I used the cipher tool to list all encrypted files. The ONLY file showing is: C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\AgileBits\OPX4.auth

Why is this happening all of a sudden? Have been a user for years.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I also started getting this just a few days ago, same file. Not sure why it's occurring now.

1Password did recently update to the same version as the above poster, 4.6.1.616. I'm on Windows 10 v1511 (build 10586.589).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@Sbrocket, @silv: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password uses Windows EFS to store some temporary data securely (so another user on the same machine cannot access viewed attachments, for example). In this case, you're probably see the message now because 1Password is storing the "secret" used for the new browser authentication securely in OPX4.auth using EFS...and if you haven't backed up your keys, Windows will continue to prompt you to do so. So while this 1Password data is only temporary and not something you need to worry about backing up, if you have any other information on your PC which you would not want to lose access to in the future, you should backup your keys as suggested just in case. I hope this helps!

• silv
    silv
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, thanks for quick response. Is this a new feature in this release? Should probably be added to FAQ as I'm sure most people on Win10 don't have encrypted file systems, and thus will see this strange popup due to 1Password.

• @silv We'll definitely do that. Thank you for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.