How can I add custom sections in v6?

Options

While the website allows adding custom sections to a Login item, the initial 6.0 release does not seem to offer this functionality.

How can I add custom sections in the Windows App? (without going to the website)

1Password Version: 6.1.272d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1607 build 14393.321
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @XIII,

Thanks for writing in, this is not yet implemented but it will be in the near future.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have an overview of which (v4) features are implemented in v6 (for accounts) and which will be added later?

I was thinking of finally moving from Dropbox to Families sync for my main vault as well, now that the initial Windows 6 release is available, but I'm actually still not sure about that, because I noticed that some features (like this one) are currently still missing (even for accounts) and I have to discover that by "trial & error" instead of knowing it up front. This feels like an unpleasant surprise to me. I understand that solving the "unpleasant" part (just) needs time (i.e., those features will arrive sooner or later), but AgileBits could prevent the "surprise" part by communicating a bit better about this.

• Hi @XIII,

We've listed all of the available features in the changelog for the first stable update, you can find it here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6#v272

We do apologize it wasn't clarified better, we only want to focus on what's available now and start working on the rest of the features coming soon. This is why we didn't make this as an upgrade for 1Password 4 or for standalone customers, this is only for 1Password Teams customers that don't have a Windows app to work with.

Over time, as 1Password 6 continues to be built up, we will open it up to more users like Families/Individuals and then standalone 1Password 4 customers once we've added write support for local vaults that's read-only at the moment in 1Password 6.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I guess "… And lots more!" (last line in the changelog) was less than I expected ;)

Seriously, the App is definitely good enough (for me) now for logging in to sites, but it's still lacking when it comes to creating/editing, so I'm afraid I will have to wait a bit longer before fully migrating from my license to my account.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @XIII,

We do understand and hopefully, it won't be long before we'll get it to meet your minimal requirements soon.

Thanks for taking the time to try it first and letting us know your feedback.

• Hi @Bernfrin,

Yes, we're aware but we're also aware that our program is not ready for everyone right now.

We are rolling this out in stages. This has nothing to do with revenue, we just need more time to finish all features. For now, the app is ready for the 1Password Teams customers, the feedback we've been getting is positive in that regard. We are working on the next stage to add the remaining features that everyone needs.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Ron, not sure whether you saw this: (I initially missed this myself because I read the post in an RSS reader)

In the post scriptum of the blog post (1st comment) it is mentioned that the Windows App also support Families and individual users: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/10/13/windows-teams/

• Hi guys,

Bernfrin, 1Password Families and Individuals customers can use 1Password 6 for Windows, we will be offering that to them.

• @Bernfrin

I do understand your frustration that it is taking a long time to get all the features into our 1Password for Windows app, and it makes me sad when I hear that you feel like we are treating you like a "third class citizen". To be completely honest, it makes me frustrated as well, because I know how hard we have been working on 1Password Windows. Let me share with you a bit of an inside view into 1Password for Windows.

About two years ago Dave, Roustem and I decided that we would build a 1Password service. This service would not only make syncing much simpler, but more importantly let us offer many features like team administration and group sharing in ways that just aren't possible in the standalone versions. This is what has become 1Password Teams/Families/individuals today. When we started down that path we began to look at what changes were necessary in the client apps to support this. When we got to 1Password for Windows, we had a long hard look at whether we wanted to update the existing desktop app or start from the ground up with a brand new app. There were many improvements that we were looking forward to making to our Windows app in general. A brand new design, High-DPI support, improved accessibility, localization and more. Starting over with a brand new app, leveraging the most up-to-date tools and technologies would put us in a great position for years to come and that is ultimately what our decision was. I will admit that it has taken us quite a bit longer than I had hoped and planned. During this time I have continued to increase the overall size of the Windows team and our weekly Windows status calls now include 11 people across Development, Design and Support. Each week we look at what features to prioritize. In addition I keep stressing that I wanted to focus on quality, ensuring that the features that are available are rock solid. It is not that we don't want all the features at once, but that we needed to make a decision on priority so that we could actually build that first release.

Yesterday's release of 1Password Windows is a huge step. Yes, later than we all wanted it to be, but still huge. We have so much of the core built into this version, a beautiful design, security and database, ability to create/read/update items, 1Password mini for saving and filling passwords, the ability to read the .agilekeychain and .OPVault formats and so so much nore. I can't overstate how significant an effort all of this has taken. That said, and as I relentlessly tell my team here, that while this is a huge step, it is just a step and we will continue to drive aggressively forward adding features as quickly as is possible while maintaining quality.

1Password for Windows is extremely important to me and to 1Password. I do understand that no matter how many words I write they are still just words, but I hope that showing a bit of the inside view will help you understand how important this is to us. I also think that for those who have followed along with the Windows beta, they have seen the significant improvement in the last weeks and months. Those improvements are just a taste of what is yet to come.

If you are still reading and I hope that you are :), I wanted to touch quickly on your comment about Families and Teams. While the blog post itself is largely focused on Teams, the 1Password 6 for Windows release supports all of our 1Password services (Teams, Families and individuals).

Thank-you,
    -Jeff Shiner, CEO

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

@Jeff Shiner - I sincerely appreciate your comments and the fact that you are spending time connecting with customers in your forum.

I want to echo and support the post made by @Bernfrin. It has, and continues to be, very painful to be a Windows user of 1Password.

I have gone from a champion and advocate of 1Password to recommending against it to friends and colleagues. I doubt that I've had a material impact on your business (and it's not my intent to do so) but, in the aggregate, I bet that you lose more business as a result of not having platform parity than you realize. Certainly the big publications don't seem to consider you guys a legitimate candidate and I often don't even see 1Password mentioned in articles considering what password manager people should use.

@Bernfrin moved his partner onto 1Password. I moved my wife. Years ago. Our journey was eWallet -> LastPass -> 1Password. I've dragged her along. For the past several months, I have tried to convince myself and her that we should move to one of your competitors. There are two I've considered, both of which are service based. Honestly, there are only two features that have prevented us from moving : per-item customization and decent support for attachments. That's it. Those are literally the only two features I personally consider differentiating enough to keep me from switching and inflicting the pain of switching on my wife.

Meanwhile, the draw of the competitors is that they move their products forward in lockstep across platforms. You never find those guys, for example, not supporting a new security format (OPVault) for years on one given platform. You never find them seeming to diverge across how some core feature works (e.g., are documents attachments, standalone, or standalone with references?).

The journey to this 1Password release on Windows was pretty painful. . Please don't forget that you guys were building a native version and a UWP version based on different codebases! Seriously! We never even saw the native version...you just talked about it a lot and then canceled it. The version you released has a couple of issues / missing features that impact me personally. One is customization, the other is the fact that you don't save and restore the window position. Have you guys got a 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor around? That's what I use. Give it a try and I suspect you'll see why restoring window position matters.

Jeff - I know this is a negative, frustrated mail. What's behind the mail is the fact that you guys were, very literally, one of my favorite companies building one of my favorite products. A product that is deeply essential to myself and my family. I would very much like to feel the same positivity that I used to feel. That would require a clear and consistent commitment to lockstep platform evolution (except in obvious places where you're taking advantage of a platform-specific capability).

I do hope you take this as constructive.

As a deep aside - I sure the camaraderie I feel for @Bernfrin is influenced by his profile picture. I grew up with a Boston Terrier. Amazing little guy.

• Thanks @zendnez,

I do take what you are saying as valuable, constructive feedback and I really appreciate it. More importantly I can sense how you feel and that is what is even more compelling.

I understand your concerns about the platform apps getting out of step with each other and its an area we've been trying to improve. It is a real challenge for a newly created app like 1Password 6 for Windows which is trying hard to catch up, and we will continue to take advantage of platform specific features ensuring a native experience so there will always be some differences here and there, but the goal is to roll new features out as lock step as possible.

I too want you to feel the positivity that you used to feel in 1Password. Please believe me when I say we are striving very hard for that, even if at times we stumble. I hope you stay and watch 1Password for Windows continue to improve and blossom, and I hope that you continue to provide us your feedback, even including negative, frustrated posts. They really help keep us on the right path.

Thank-you,
    -Jeff

p.s. we do have an open issue for restoring the window position... I'll give it a bit of a bump :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@dahanbn: As someone who's been around from the "beginning" of 1Password for Windows version 6 (even if you didn't know it!), your feedback is invaluable, and it's totally fair to give us constructive criticism and remind us that we have a long way to go still. Thank you!

But I think it's also important to keep in mind how far we've come, and you're in a position to recognize that as well. I think that while none of us are satisfied with 1Password for Windows yet, the progress we've made over these past months is a tangible example of our commitment to the platform.

1Password for Windows has a lot of catching up to do. 1Password for Mac has a mature codebase and a long head start. Part of this is timing, and part of it is that other than a name change, there's hasn't been a lot of upheaval in the OS X/macOS world like we've seen with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10. It hasn't been easy being a Windows user. And we definitely recognize that this is a difficult time for 1Password for Windows users in particular, so we're working as hard as we can to catch up and keep up, reward your patience, and also make sure we're feeling that pain too so that we can all enjoy the same collective relief when 1Password 6 feels "complete" and satisfying for all of us. I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm seeing the first light of a new day for 1Password for Windows. We've gotten through the long dark of no mini, filling, or autosave. The day is not upon us yet, but the sun is beginning to rise. :sunglasses:

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for this conversation. Thanks also for the window restoration behavior in beta 277d. :)

• On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.