Update to 6.3.5 is not working

Options
jvfCR34VFxAU4W3
jvfCR34VFxAU4W3
Community Member

I was prompted to update to 6.3.4 yesterday. I read the update log before confirming and noticed the new information about an authorization code for the browser extension. Sounded reasonable. I clicked to confirm. Then, after updating and relaunching, I was back in 6.3.3. No update!?

I thought to myself "hmmm..." and looked at the forum. Tons of flabbergasted users saying things like "usually this is painless" and "I'm surprised agilebits screwed this one up." Lot's of panicked people with no connection to cloud storage and other problems even opening the app. Oh, man that got me scared.

So I decided to wait until 6.3.5, thinking they'd figure it out. After a few days of the update reminder nagging me, I finally discovered 6.3.5 was ready. I went through the same update process as before. Still no es bueno!!!! The application relaunches and I'm back in 6.3.3. I guess 6.3.4 somehow permanently jacked my update system?

So now I'm creating a forum user account so that I can say the same as the others... "I'm surprised agilebits screwed this one up." Because guess what...I think you may be screwing this one up! Twice! (I sure hope it's not me.)

I trust your software. I need your software. I'm screwed without your software. Please don't leave me hanging and get this fixed!

1Password Version: 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6 (15G1004)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jvfCR34VFxAU4W3,

I'm sorry you're having trouble installing the update! We'll definitely help you get this sorted out.

Is it possible you have multiple copies of the 1Password app on your Mac? If so, one copy could have been updated, while the other is still version 6.3.3. Please open the Applications folder on your Mac and check to see if you have more than one 1Password app file there. If you only see one 1Password app in Applications, you can try using Spotlight to search for "1Password" on your Mac to see if a second one is located somewhere else.

Or if you only have one copy of the 1Password app, but it's located in the Downloads folder, that might also explain the problem, as there is a new Mac security feature which can copy an app to a temporary directory if it is launched from ~/Downloads (which would also result in having 2 copies of the app, although one will be hidden).

If the 1Password app is in the Applications folder and you're sure there aren't other copies of it on your Mac, you can delete the app from Applications by dragging it to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools when you do that). Your data is stored in a different location, so if you only delete the app file itself, your data is safe. Then you can download version 6.3.5 from our download site and install it.

Does that help at all? Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem - cannot update from 6.3.3 to 6.3.4 or 6.3.5. No other copy of 1P. Please help...thanks.

MacAir OSX 10.11.6
    1P 6.3.3 (from Agile store)

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member
    Options

Successful in updating to 6.3.5, but not sure why...here're the details...maybe someone can help explain it to me.

Since I started trying to update from 6.3.3, I've been getting an error message when firing up the Mac:

"Core Telephony Trace File Error - a file operation for Core Telephony tracing has failed, you may be out of disk space. Details 'Error opening file /tmp/ct.shutdown, err = operation not permitted'

Apple has heard of this issue, but not sure why its happening. Their suggestion was to re-load OS X (10.11.6) so I did. After the re-load, no error msg when Mac was turned on. When I tried updating 1P to 6.3.5, was successful. Just coincidence? Not sure. Still, I'm curious about why.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glingct: Thanks for following up! I'm sorry for the trouble there, but I'm glad you were able to get the latest version. Indeed, it was just "luck" that a lot of folks have been suffering from a broader internet issue this past week. Depending on the region and ISP, there was some delay in everyone getting the certificate straightened out (which would prevent a secure connection from being established, and therefore prevent the update). It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.