How do I access my old 1Password.agilekeychain to retrieve lost documents?

Options
Dave Creek
Dave Creek
Community Member

When converting from the old system I failed to notice that that attached documents would be lost. I presume that that they are in my old 1Password.agilekeychain file that's in Dropbox and would like to go back and get them. How do I do that?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dave Creek

It's great to hear the you're using 1Password accounts now, I hope that you'll enjoy them! If you didn't delete your Primary vault, you can just go to 1Password Preferences then "Backup" and find restore a backup from before you migrated your data. You'll need to add your account again, but you'll be able to move your attachments right away, this is the easiest way to sort this out. You can then move everything into the bin again.

If you had already deleted your Primary vault you need to enable it before you can restore the backup. Just go to Preferences > Advanced and then enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" and then follow the steps I mentioned above :chuffed:

Please let us know how how this goes for you and if you get all your attachments back :chuffed:

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I do not see "Backup" in 1Pw Preferences. I see: General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, All Vaults, andBrowsers.So where is Backups? Then once I find it, if I restore that backup, which is now out of date, to recover the attachments how do I then get back to my current file?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave Creek: Did you perhaps setup 1Password with a 1Password.com account? In that case, backups are handled by the server automatically, so that's why you won't see that option in that case. While Attachments are not supported in 1Password.com accounts Documents are used instead. Did you perhaps copy them over already? What did you do with your original vault? You may be able to restore it from Dropbox. Let me know what you find!

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

I do have a 1Password folder in my Dropbox folder which I assume is the vault. Is there a way for me to access it, e.g., signing out of my 1Pw.co. account, then opening the Dropbox vault? I could then extract my attachments, then sign back into my 1Pw.com account.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dave Creek

I'm sorry for the confusion with all this. You first need to go to Preferences > Advanced and enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Quite 1Password and open it again. You'll be able to see the option of Backup this time :chuffed: I hope this screenshot helps you:

Please let us know if you can restore your old "Backup" this time!

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

Following your instructions I successfully opened my old vault that was stored in Dropbox and retrieved my attachments. However, I haven't figured out how to get my Shared vault back. Here are two screenshots, one showing my vaults before opening the Dropbox vault (1Pw Vaults with Shared) and one after opening the Dropbox vault named Primary (1Pw vaults without Shared) and signing back into 1Password.com.

Now that I've retrieved my attachments, I'd like to get back to just having what I had before opening Primary, i.e., like in the 1Pw Vaults with Shared screenshot.

How do I do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave Creek: Once you have all of your data where you want it, you can remove the extra vaults by doing the following:

Local vaults

Switch to the individual vault and select Delete (vault name) Vault from the 1Password menu.

1Password.com vaults

To remove an individual vault, login to 1Password.com and click the edit button ("pencil" icon) and delete it.

To remove an account and all of its vaults from the app, go to Preferences > Accounts, select it, and click Sign Out.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

How do I get the Shared vault back? It's the one that has the most current information. Personal and Primary have outdated info

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Dave Creek: Do you mean the Shared vault which is created by default when you setup your 1Password Families account? If you login to your 1Password Families account on 1Password.com do you see it there? If you're using an individual 1Password Account, you won't have a Shared vault, as there is no one to share with.

If you deleted it already, did you copy the data to another vault? I'm afraid I'm a bit in the dark as to what steps you've taken so far, so it's difficult to say where you should go from here. If you can clear that up for me, that should help us get things back on track.

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

I've had too much trouble with the attachments/documents features in your new Personal/Shared world, want to return to just my individual account (actually a family account) until you work out the problems. How do I do this? I have moved all my data back to my Primary (local) account.

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

I've had too much trouble with the attachments/documents features in your new version, want to return to just my individual account (actually a family account) until you work out the problems. How do I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:close password.com account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave Creek: I've merged these separate, duplicate posts with the existing discussion here so we can focus on your situation in a single place for context, to avoid further confusion.

I'm sorry that you're still having trouble, and I'd very much like to help you get things sorted. However, whichever path you choose, our ability to assist you is going to depend heavily on you providing some crucial information here:

1. Where is your data currently?
    2. Where would you like it to be?

It sounds like you have an AgileKeychain vault which you were using originally. You appear to have a 1Password 3 license for OS X Snow Leopard/Lion. And you seem to have both an individual 1Password Account and 1Password Families. If you'll give us a clearer picture of what you're trying to do, I'm sure we can help you do it.

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Brenty.

1. My data is presently in my original Agile Keychain vault residing in Dropbox--well not exactly. To be able to access that data I created a local vault outside of my 1Password.com Accounts and imported data into it from that original Agile Keychain vault. I did this on my Macs, my iPads and iPhones, I then added some data to this vault on my iMac, but I see that that new data is not synced to my MacBook Pro, iPads or iPhones.

2. I'd like to be operating in the pre-1Password Accounts world until you have a solution for attachments that I works for me. So I want my data to be in my original Agile Keychain vault residing in Dropbox, and I'd like to close my individual 1Password Account and 1Password Families Account.(I've deleted data from these accounts.)

I obtained my current 1Password licenses from the Mac App store and the iOS App store.

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

Correction: I still have many items in my Shared Vault, but I don't need them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave Creek: Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still confused about the attachments issue you keep alluding to, since all attachments are converted to Documents in a 1Password Account, but I'm happy to help you go back to using Dropbox to sync a local vault. All you need to do is setup 1Password on each device to use that same vault in Dropbox. Please do the following:

1. In 1Password for Mac, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    2. In 1Password for iOS, go to Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data
    3. Launch 1Password again on each device, and choose "Use without an account"
    4. Select the same vault in Dropbox on each device, and let your data sync

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    Options

Re step 1, "Reset all 1Password Data" is greyed out, can't select. Even if I could, wouldn't I lose all of the data I added since using that vault in Dropbox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave Creek: I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I was led to believe that you already had all of your data in "[your] original Agile Keychain vault residing in Dropbox" and that the changes you made were "to this vault on [your] iMac". If that is not the case, you'll need to copy your data to the vault you want to keep first. Once you've done that, you can simply reinstall 1Password from the iOS App Store and set it up as described above ("Use without an account" > existing data in Dropbox), and if you lock 1Password for Mac, "Reset all 1Password Data" will be available. Let me know how it turns out!

• Dave Creek
    Dave Creek
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Everything went as it should. Many thanks for your help. Should I close out my accounts since I don't plan on using them un less the attachments feature, or something very similar is reinstated. (I don't consider Documents in it present form to be that.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! If you never setup billing on your accounts, there's no need to take any action there.

It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.