Is there an Opera browser extension??

Options

The Support page claims that there IS an Opera browser extension. Trying to download it produces a CHROME extension (.crx). When double clicking it, it opens Chrome, but, of course, there's already a 1Password extension installed in Chrome. I've tried downloading from the alternate site with the same bad result.
If there is actually no Opera extension, why does Agilebits say there is?
If the Chrome extension is actually supposed to work in Opera, how does one get it to install into Opera rather than opening Chrome and trying to install it where it already exists????

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: not sure
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milleron,

There certainly is an Opera extension - sorry for the confusion. Opera is built using much of the same technology as Chrome including the extensions framework which is why the extension is a .crx file.

Normally when your viewing the Extension download page and left-click on the Download button, the extension file should immediately be installed in Opera and shouldn't even appear in your Downloads folder. You might get a confirmation bar appear to ensure this was intentional first. Perhaps you right-clicked and downloaded rather than left-clicked?

However since you have it already downloaded you can open Opera on any website and drag-and-drop the .crx file from Finder on to the Opera browser. That's another way to install it :chuffed:

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• milleron
    milleron
    Community Member
    Options

When I drag the 1Password .crx file onto the Opera window, it just downloads that file to my Downloads folder. Since it's ALREADY in the download folder, it duplicates it and increments the file name with a "(1)."
    So, no go.
    But thanks for the input.
    I'm thinking that this version of Opera (Neon) may not accept extensions yet.

Ron

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milleron,

It's a possibility, when I Googled Opera Neon the Opera team used the words concept browser. If or when they add support for extensions the Chromium build of our 1Password extension should work but it will depend on how different it is and if they've departed from the Chrome Extensions at all. Basically though if normal Opera extensions work ours should. It's the first I've heard of Neon though so I won't make any guarantees.

• rudy
    Options

@milleron,

Its not super clear at this point if they plan on adding support for Extensions back in either; from their blog post:

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2017/01/opera-neon-concept-browser/

there are some key features we have not included, such as our native ad-blocker, VPN and the ability to add extensions.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.