Windows client sync problems

Options
kramer
kramer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm using my 1password account to sync data between my Android phone, macOS home computer, and my Windows work computer.
Whenever I modify any data (i.e.: add new login or change password of existing one) it always takes like a day to be picked up by the 1password app on my Windows computer, all the others are syncing fine and I can also see that the data is synced on the web-site (my.1password.com). Vice versa when I change some data thru the Windows app, it takes a day for it to show up on the web UI or on the other devices.

See the screenshot here for an example of a serious off-sync missing ~20 items: http://i.imgur.com/WABETbd.png

Is there a setting to change the sync frequency; or are there some logs that I could provide or look into to see if some sync attempts have failed?

1Password Version: 6.0.269d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kramer,

I am sorry to hear about this situation! This is not a correct behaviour from 1Password 6 and there must be something wrong. Could you please try to restart 1Password 6 app on your Windows computer and check if this updates the data? Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• kramer
    kramer
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Greg

Restarting the app did not help; my vault is still out of sync. Will try to restart the whole computer later.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kramer: Please keep me updated about this issue. If it remains, please share diagnostics reports from your devices. They will shed some light on what is going on and why sync happens with such latency. Here are the instructions on how to do that –

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

I look forward to your reply! Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• kramer
    kramer
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Restarted the computer and app still haven't synced; created and sent a diagnostics report with support ID [#DGU-87246-641].

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@kramer: Thanks for the report! I found it on our side. :+1: We will take a closer look and get back to you shortly via email. Thank you once again!

ref: DGU-87246-641

• Claudia T
    Claudia T
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I don't see a final comment in the above thread and I'm having the same issue. I just started my trial subscription to 1Password, and handle also a MAC for personal stuff and a Windows PC for office stuff. I created a new item in the Windows side, and it still has not appeared in the MAC side after 4 hours. I have closed and re-opened both apps and nothing. The new items does appear on the web and in my iPhone, but not on the MAC. Is there a sync issue between MAC and Windows apps? Thank you.

• Hi @Claudia T,

For some, the issue was changing the email address and the app didn't recognize updated account information, so it couldn't sync without the updated credential information. We've fixed this in later updates as the last post here was back in Oct.

For now, please email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    My windows app doesn't always update.
    The notification from 1Password advises that changes have been made.
    However, when I look at the entry, it hasn't changed from the old one.

I have restarted 1Password and my PC has been restarted several times. The changes were made 2 or 3 days ago, and yet do not show on my Windows.

Any clues as this his highly frustrating?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi
    My windows app doesn't always update.
    The notification from 1Password advises that changes have been made.
    However, when I look at the entry, it hasn't changed from the old one.
    I have restarted 1Password and my PC has been restarted several times. The changes were made 2 or 3 days ago, and yet do not show on my Windows.
    Any clues as this his highly frustrating?

@ddmmyyyy: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I wonder if maybe we're talking about different things here though. Are you referring to app updates, your account (Master Password, Account Key, etc.), or item changes? Only the first two will show a notification, so that's where I'm a bit confused. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to include any sensitive information, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Ok. Apologies for not being clear with my question.

So.. If I update an item from my iOS device, I receive a notification on my Windows device that confirms this action (please see attachment).

Having received this, you would assume that the update would be apparent (which in most cases it is).

However, it is not always the case, so I can't rely on the data necessarily when viewing from my PC - which is annoying, as it is - of course much easier to copy and paste the information when working on my PC.

Does this make any more sense now? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ddmmyyyy: Ah, thanks for clarifying! That is a Dropbox notification, saying that it has sync'd one of the files in your 1Password vault on disk. These files contain multiple encrypted 1Password items, however, so band_D.js won't correspond to a single item you've changed in the app. You can, however, sort your vault by date if you'd like to be able to easily see the items you've changed recently. This comes with an important caveat though: this only works with 1Password 4. As mentioned previously, 1Password 6 does not support these local vaults currently, either for editing or syncing automatically. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help thus far.
    However, this doesn't really solve anything at all.

I understand completely that "band_D.js" relates to the vault as a whole. However, if I have edited only ONE item on my iOS device, it stands to reason that the notification is indicating this has synced. NOT THE CASE though as I keep saying.

Please refer to the 2 images I have provided.

They both show what should be the same entry. However, you can see that the windows image does NOT match the iOS - even though this was updated several days ago. My PC has been shut down AND restarted many times in the interim, and yet the details remain incongruous.

As it is, I cannot rely on the data from my Windows app - which makes it less than brilliant.

Do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this? I rely on my 1Password a great deal and will be saddened if I have to find alternative software.

Thank you in advance.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@ddmmyyyy, thank you for the screenshots! I think I know what is going on here. :)

It seems that you are using 1Password 6 for Windows, which, as Brenty mentioned above, does not support automatic sync for local vaults at the moment, or editing them. In order to propagate changes to your item made on another device, you have to click on a gear icon in the upper right corner > Accounts and Vaults > find your vault under Dropbox > Sync.

If you prefer local vaults synced via Dropbox over 1Password Account, which has automatic sync, I would recommend you to stick with 1Password 4 for the time being. Compared to 1Password 6, it is tailored for local vaults. You can download it here.

I hope it helps. :chuffed: Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. We are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Greg

I guess I'll have to install the version you suggest - thank you for the link - although I HAVE used the manual sync option - which evidently hasn't worked. 8-)

Thanks again for both your and Brenty's assistance.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ddmmyyy: You are very welcome! :+1:

It is strange that manual sync option didn't work. If you want to investigate this issue, just say so. We will provide further instructions on how to send a diagnostics report to us.

As for 1Password 4, please try it for yourself and share your experience. Hopefully, you should be all set with it. :)

Again, thank you for participating on our forums. Let's keep the conversation going.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.