Roger L. Clark - How can I setup 1Password on iMac so wife can also login

Options
geezer11441
geezer11441
Community Member

I have already loaded 1Password on my iMac and have loaded 29 login sites on my admin account. My wife and I both have iPads and iPhone 6's as well (all have the 1Password app loaded as well). I would like for my wife to be able to use my iMac to load her sites and use the computer to perform our financial business on a shared basis. I know I need to access the system preferences and make her an Administrator as well but do not know how to set up 1Password to share our logins. Another question, is there a way to share all of my logins with her?

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I set up 1Password on my iMac so my wife can also login and use the same computer.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geezer11441: Sure! You can use 1Password Families to easily share a vault with your wife (and other family members):

Share passwords with your family

With 1Password Families, you'll each use 1Password with your own account where you can choose a unique Master Password and have your own Personal vault, and then share vaults with other members.

When you send her an invitation, she'll setup her account and then she can use it to install and setup the apps on her own devices (or under a separate Mac user account).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• geezer11441
    geezer11441
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thanks for the comeback!! I have been surfing and reading everything I can to get up too speed with this new software (to me!!), but cannot find a way to change a manual entry password on a site that I setup prior to purchasing the 1Password - i.e. I have sites that 1Password identifies as a weak password (that I had previously manually entered) and I don't know how to change the password to use the auto generating password function in 1Password!! I hope I have explained this well enough for you to understand the question.

Sample: When I setup Facebook for example, I entered a user name and a password (short and one I had used on multiple sites (I know, not a good procedure!!), now I would like to go in and change the password to one generated automatically via 1Password. In my surfing, I have not been able to find a way to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance for humoring an "Old Man"!!

Roger

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geezer11441: No problem! Glad to help. The good news is that we have a great guide for how to do this:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

The not-so-good news is that each website's procedure for changing passwords can vary widely, so it's difficult to go into specifics. But that should give you a good idea of the general process. the most important thing is that the website and 1Password both agree on what your password is, so that you can use 1Password to login. So when you generate an awesome long, strong, unique password for a site, make sure you not only save it in 1Password, but also change it on the site itself.

As for Facebook in particular, I find it rather confusing — both in general and with regard to password changes. Kids these days! This URL seems to go right to the password change section of settings though, at least for me:

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=account&section=password&view

Let me know if that helps! :)

• geezer11441
    geezer11441
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response Brenty, I have subsequently kinda figured it out via some online videos of the 1Password Manager software. I have accomplished a few password changes, but some website simply will not work with the changes from my simple short passwords to the password generator in 1Password. I know I need to access each individual website and find the "change password" function and go from there but it does not always work and I have to go back to my simple/short password originally initiated prior to my 1Password purchase/implementation. Don't really know where to go from here!! Thanks again for your response/information!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geezer11441: The hardest part is that the process can vary so much from site to site. They all have different password requirements, and some have specific characters that are excluded, or limit the length.

The best way forward is to take it step by step. Save your important logins in 1Password as you use them, rather than trying to do everything at once. For example, if you need to login to you bank to pay a bill, save it in 1Password then. And, as time allows, go through the password change process after that to make sure you have a long, strong, unique password there (if you don't already).

And keep in mind that 1Password has an important safety net: when you use 1Password to generate and fill a random password, it saves it as a Password item in your vault. That way if you're not able to save it as a Login right away for some reason, you'll still have it so you don't need to do a password reset or anything.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.