Cannot Install 1Password [use the Installer app to open the 1Password-6.x.x.pkg file]

Options
iTruth
iTruth
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

When I try and open the .pkg file to install 1Password I get the following error message: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.) I also included a screenshot

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• iTruth
    iTruth
    Community Member
    Options

Yesterday I was getting an error message that 1Password cannot connect to 1Password mini so I thought I would uninstall it and reinstall it but when I tried to reinstall it I kept getting this error message: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.) I'm also provided a screenshot.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @iTruth,

Can you move 1Password 6.pkg out of that folder onto the Desktop and see if you can open it from there?

• iTruth
    iTruth
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried it right now, it didn't work unfortunately

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry that didn't work, @iTruth.

After downloading with the https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4 link there should be a package installer file named 1Password-6.5.5.pkg in your downloads folder. Instead, it looks like that file was processed after downloading, causing 1Password 6.pkg to end up in folder named 1Password-6.5.5 that can be seen in the image you posted.

Rather than troubleshooting that any further right now, with the immediate priority to get 1Password working again, you could download the installer using a different browser that keeps 1Password-6.5.5.pkg as-is and then try opening it. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

• iTruth
    iTruth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply again, I just tried this in Chrome and Safari but I'm still getting the same error message when I click on the .pkg file. I really wish a .dmg file was available instead. I can't repair disk permissions because I have an SSD so that option is not available to me. I did run First Aid but it found no issues. I also re-installed macOS Sierra (Not a clean install) but that did not work either.

• rudy
    edited February 2017
    Options

@iTruth,

That folder you have in your screenshot looks like the contents of the package itself. What did you use to unpack the download?

Rudy

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iTruth,

Following up to what Rudy asked, do you see Installer (default) in the Open With menu when right clicking on the 1Password-6.5.5.pkg file? Similar to this:

You can select Installer there to force 1Password-6.5.5.pkg open with the Installer app if it's not the default.

And you may want to make Installer the default app for opening all Installer package files, including 1Password-6.5.5.pkg …

1. Select Get Info from the context menu shown above to open a window like this:

2. Select Installer in the menu under the "Open with" section to make it the default app to open this file with:

3. Click Change All… to do what the text above it says. :)

Looking forward to hearing if either of those methods works for you.

• iTruth
    iTruth
    Community Member
    Options

@ rudy

I used an app called Archiver

• iTruth
    iTruth
    Community Member
    Options

@ sjk

Ha! That worked buddy!!! Opening with installer was the trick rather than using Archiver to unpack the .pkg file. A MILLION THANKS TO SJK AND RUDY :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Aha! Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy and sjk, you are most welcome! It's weird that it would hijack the native macOS install process, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• jshort_indy
    jshort_indy
    Community Member
    Options

The links in the fix are now directing to a website that seems to be down. When will this be fixed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jshort_indy: Can you clarify which links you're referring to? The only one I see here is in sjk 's post above, and that works. If it isn't for you, then something on your computer or in your internet connection is blocking it. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering?

This discussion has been closed.