Feature request: if 1P cannot connect to mini, allow it to open anyway

Options
incolor
incolor
Community Member

On both of my Macs, I've been locked out of 1Password because it cannot connect to 1Password Mini. Many restarts and reinstallations, I still cannot get 1Password to open on its own, Mini working or not. I am completly locked out of my passwords. Yesterday, I sent a vulgar email to tech support.

This is a deal-breaking bug.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Feature request: if 1P cannot connect to mini, allow it to open anyway

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

On both of my Macs, I've been locked out of 1Password because it cannot connect to 1Password Mini. Many restarts and reinstallations, I still cannot get 1Password to open on its own, Mini working or not. I am completly locked out of my passwords.

@incolor: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble there! Just follow these steps and you should be good to go:

1. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password
    4. Run the installer and launch the app

Yesterday, I sent a vulgar email to tech support.

Oh, don't do that. That won't help at all.

This is a deal-breaking bug.

We released updates to address this quickly yesterday, but I'm sorry to hear that you were affected anyway. If you're interested, you can find more details on our blog, and we'll be following up with more information once we've finished investigating this with Apple.

• incolor
    incolor
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Obviously, I can't afford to follow the blogs for the hundreds of software applications I own. I did search your website to no avail.

I ended up reading something on an Apple support post which said that Agile Bits was one of several companies who did not heed Apple's warnings to updated a security certificate (paraphrasing). This is completely unacceptable for a company such as yours.

If you've ever been suddenly and completely been locked out of all your passwords, including to bank accounts, you would probably be as fuming angry as I was. I tried both of my computers. I downloaded the lastest copies of the software and plugins, apparently before you were able to update them. There was no mention of the problem yet on your website. Lastly, I was in need of getting into my bank accounts wihtout delay. I dare you to stay calm under those circumstances. This was not a trivial mistake on your part, and it was a forced error according to Apple. I do not apologize for the profanity.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Obviously, I can't afford to follow the blogs for the hundreds of software applications I own. I did search your website to no avail.

@incolor: Indeed. I wouldn't expect you to. I can't (and don't) either! That's why I included a link (in case you were curious) after offering steps to address the issue (in case you just wanted it to work again).

I ended up reading something on an Apple support post which said that Agile Bits was one of several companies who did not heed Apple's warnings to updated a security certificate (paraphrasing). This is completely unacceptable for a company such as yours.

It doesn't change the ramifications and pain of the problem you and others experienced, but none of that is accurate. I agree that it would be unacceptable for us to ignore warnings from Apple, but that simply isn't what happened. Their own developer documentation states fairly clearly that this sort of thing should never happen:

What happens to my Developer ID–signed applications if my Apple Developer Program membership expires?
    If your membership expires, users can still download, install, and run your Developer ID–signed applications. However, once your Developer ID certificate expires, you must be an Apple Developer Program member to get new Developer ID certificates to sign updates and new applications.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, and we're working with Apple to determine the best way forward for us and other developers, so nothing like this happens again, to anyone. You can read the full details about what happened in today's blog post if you're interested.

If you've ever been suddenly and completely been locked out of all your passwords, including to bank accounts, you would probably be as fuming angry as I was. I tried both of my computers. I downloaded the lastest copies of the software and plugins, apparently before you were able to update them. There was no mention of the problem yet on your website.

Ah, I see. It sounds like you tried this in the few hours while we were working on the problem, before we fully understood what had happened and issued a fix. I'm sorry that we weren't able to act faster. Once we got to the bottom of it, we added a note to our support site, the updater, and we've been in contact with customers both here on the forums and via email throughout. It really sucks that this happened at all, to you or anyone else, and that it wasn't a quick(er), easier fix, especially from a user perspective. Manually updating an app is only mildly inconvenient, but it isn't something any of us are used to having to do. And anything unexpected like the error and subsequent fix make it more difficult to get back up and running quickly. And regardless of the cause and solution, it's a terrible user experience, and I'm sorry that you and the rest of our awesome customers had to go through that with 1Password. :(

Lastly, I was in need of getting into my bank accounts wihtout delay. I dare you to stay calm under those circumstances. This was not a trivial mistake on your part, and it was a forced error according to Apple. I do not apologize for the profanity.

I understand completely, and didn't expect an apology. You have every right to be frustrated, and I would be too. But bad behaviour doesn't solve anything, and since you took the time to mention it I didn't want to pretend like it was okay. I'm sure you have better uses for your time and energy anyway. You absolutely did the right thing by reaching out, and while I'm glad that we have a solution for you now I apologize that it wasn't available for you right when you needed it most. You deserve better, and we'll strive to ensure that something like this never happens again...but be prepared anyway. If there's ever anything we can do to help, please let us know and we'll do whatever we can to make it right. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.