How to fill both pages of USAA sign-in form with a single Login item.

jswright61
jswright61
Community Member

My bank, https://usaa.com, has a two page login, yuk. The first page asks for userid and password. No problem. The second page asks for my pin. I have followed the steps to add the second page to my saved login for USAA, but when I do, it overwrites the password for the site with my pin. I have edited the login manually and created a new field under web form details giving it the same name as the name attribute of the input field for the pin. When I do this, it fills in the pin field with my password for the site. I don't really want to create a second login for the site for page 2 as that will then disable the keyboard shortcut autofill for both pages.

Here is the html for the input field for the pin:

<input type="password" size="5" maxlength="4" pattern="[0-9]*" value="" name="table:row1:pin1" id="pinTextField" autocomplete="off" onkeypress="javascript :return isNumber(event)"/>

The password field on the first page has a name of j_password (which is captured properly on the login under web form details.

<input type="password" placeholder="Password" name="j_password" id="usaaPass" size="25" maxlength="12" class="password j_password" autocomplete="off" style="display: block;"/>

It's not a huge deal to type my pin each time, in fact I prefer that to creating the multiple login annoyance, but when I do type my pin and press enter, I am then prompted to update my password for the login. I don't want to disable the prompt for the website, because I rely on the prompt to remind me to update my login when the password changes.

This looks like a bug to me, rather than expected behavior. I'd appreciate any help you can provide if there is a workaround or better steps to take if the issue is user error. If it is a bug, I'd love to get updates on whether you can reproduce it and any guesstimate on when it might be fixed.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jswright61: That does sound annoying. But it sounds like you probably just need to save a login for the second page (with the PIN), and then edit that login to put your password in the main password field there...

Ah, I was confused by "this is the HTML...", but I edited your post and noticed that you'd put it in actual HTML tags, which of course weren't displayed as text. This is better.

It looks like if you use a j_password field name for your actual password and pinTextField field as your PIN, that may work in a single login item. I'd still start with saving it on the second page though, and work from there. Unfortunately I can't get to a second page to test it myself though, so I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member

Thanks for the edit assist. I should have checked the preview.
    Unfortunately, changing the name of the field did not work - it still fills the password into the pin field when they are part of the same login.
    When I experiment and save the pin page as a separate login, it names the field "table:row1:pin1" in the webform detail section and puts the pin in the password field up top. The webform detail entry has a key next to it, I assume indicating this field is linked to the main password field up top. This seems to be the limitation - that link can be either User, Password or nothing. There is no provision for a third link type which is what I need. Pretty sure I'm out of luck.

Thanks for the response. Your team makes a fantastic product and provides outstanding support!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Greetings @jswright61,

So I don't know if this will work, I can't reach nor will ever be able to reach the second page but it's worth a shot. Below you're going to see a clump of text, please copy the entire block into the macOS clipboard. Next switch to 1Password and with a actual vault selected (not the All Vaults view) use the menu option File > New Item from Clipboard. You won't have seen this option before as it only appears if 1Password sees that the clipboard contents are a valid JSON representation of an item.

After importing the item you will want to edit it and click the show web form details button. From there you can replace the three placeholder values with their correct ones.

Now I believe this should fill the first page correctly but it's the page with the PIN that I just can't predict. 1Password evaluates a number of different ways of filling a page and I don't know how confident 1Password finds each approach. You seem to be up for trying though based on your post so I figure let's see if it works :smile:

Edit: Removed for clarity. See updated post below.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jswright61,

Jamie thinks that my suggested Login item will fail to correctly fill the second page but he has a thought on what might help improve the odds of it working. If you find that Login item as is doesn't work can you edit it once more and enter the web form details section. In there can you click on the silhouette of the key and select the blank option. What we're doing is telling 1Password that this item doesn't have a designated password. The hope is this stops one filling approach from being selected and instead the approach that we would like to see work being selected instead.

If one of these works we'd love to learn which :smile:

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Jamie is my hero! I don't mean to denigrate @littlebobbytables, who, I guess in the world I'm constructing, is Robin?

Anyway, I followed the @littlebobbytables's original advice and created the new item as described. It didn't work :(

Then made the edit per Jamie's suggestion and it worked perfectly!

Thank you all so much for your help!

BTW, I thought It might be helpful if I exported the json for the final working login item, so here it is (I sanitized everything that I thought might be sensitive)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Haha… I'm hardly any Batman. I neither rich nor good looking like Bruce Wayne. AgileBits is more like The Guardians of the Galaxy. Everyone contributes their particular skills and expertise but we are one team working to stop the bad guys. :chuffed:

But in any case, I'm glad my little tidbit was able to push things one step further and get the Login working for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

(Pretty sure he's Batman.) :naughty:

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

I'm also a USAA customer, and I was all set to try @littlebobbytables suggestion with @jswright61's modification. I coped the text, headed to my 1Password, selected "New Item from Clipboard," and got the alert "You can't create a new item from clipboard. Please make sure that the clipboard contains valid data and that the selected vault supports items of this type." Then I read some more support articles and wondered whether I had to explicitly select my vault somewhere - but I can't see any way to do that! I'm fine with the coding and tweaking, but how the heck do I get it into 1PW to begin with??

• @amhoskinson: You do need to select the vault you want to create your item in. Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault and select the vault you'd like this item to live in. If you have All Vaults selected, you certainly will run into trouble, so give this a try and let us know if it's able to get things working for you. :chuffed:

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @bundtkate. I'm not seeing Switch to Vault under my 1Password menu - or any menu, for that matter. What am I missing??

• @amhoskinson: Ah-ha, you only have one vault, so you're not seeing that option and shouldn't need to select one. I gave this method a try with just a Primary vault and was able to create the item myself. Could you share what version of 1Password for Mac you're using? Do you have any software installed on the Mac that might be clearing your clipboard before you're able to create the item, by chance?

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

@bundtkate, I'm running v6.8.4 of 1PW with 1 vault only, my Primary. I have no software that clears my clipboard (and tested that). I can copy the full block of code upthread, but I get that pesky alert when I select Import from Clipboard. In fact since Import from Clipboard is selectable, 1PW has to be recognizing that it's JSON, right?

• bundtkate
    edited December 2017

@amhoskinson: On a lark, I decided to try creating the item from jswright61's text and in that case I get the same error. Give this a try -- create the item by copying the block of code littlebobbytables shared and using File > New Item from Clipboard, then edit this item and enter the web form details section. In there, click on the silhouette of the key and select the blank option as Jamie suggested (by way of littlebobbytables. This should allow you to create the item and leave you in the right place. :+1:

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

I have no "create from clipboard" option under any menu or tab.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@amhoskinson: I think the forum is mangling it a bit, and certainly if you're getting an extra space or something that can cause some trouble too. Try this:

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

Awesome! Thanks, @brenty! Your code plus Jamie's tweak worked PERFECTLY. Thanks so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! Glad that helped. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Below you're going to see a clump of text, please copy the entire block into the macOS clipboard. Next switch to 1Password and with an actual vault selected (not the All Vaults view) use the menu option File > New Item from Clipboard. You won't have seen this option before as it only appears if 1Password sees that the clipboard contents are a valid JSON representation of an item.

After creating the new item you will be instantly in edit mode. Click the show web form details button. From there you can replace the three placeholder values with their correct ones.

The Login item will not display a password whilst viewing the item but this is a necessary trade in order to correctly fill the username and password on the first page and the PIN on the second.

{
        "URLs": [
            {
                "overview": {
                    "label": "", 
                    "url": "https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon?redirectjsp=true"
                }
            }
        ], 
        "categoryUUID": "001", 
        "details": {
            "fields": [
                {"designation": "username", "name": "usaaNum", "type": "T", "value": "username"}, 
                {"name": "usaaPass", "type": "P", "value": "password"}, 
                {"name": "pinTextField", "type": "P", "value": "1234"}
            ]
        }, 
        "overview": {
            "ainfo": "username", 
            "ps": 1, 
            "title": "USAA", 
            "url": "https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon?redirectjsp=true"
        }, 
        "sectionName": "U"
    }

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member

It seems that my comment above where I pasted sanitized export is confusing people. My sincere apologies. My intent was to show all the fields of the working item. I realize now that that export adds very little substance to the discussion and can be taken by someone reading this thread as a more complete string to copy to the pasteboard. If I could edit that particular comment I would. Since this comment is down the thread a bit, it may not be seen (Cut the red wire... After you cut the blue wire). If someone at Agilebits has the power to edit and comment my earlier comment, please feel free to do so if you don't mind re-writing history for the sake of clarity. Same goes for just deleting that comment. If I have the power to edit or delete that comment, I can't figure out how to do it, but I would be happy to if shown how.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jswright61,

Don't worry, we'll get everything tidied up. I'm just looking for a bit of internal confirmation and then we'll make sure everything points to a good source that should work for everybody with no mucking about :smile:

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

Any updated code for this? My login broke and I came back for the source code again.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@amhoskinson Did you ever have a working Login? It could be that the site has changed the field code. The form fields on this page still match what jswright61 posted before, but perhaps the second page changed?

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay. I did get it working. For whatever reason, the web form details had changed. I appreciate the great tips and followup on this thread!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear all is well. Cheers! :)

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi again. Sorry to be a PITA, but it's broken again and I'm bewildered as to why. I had a fraud alert on my USAA account - not because of login, not because of anything online. At the customer service rep's suggestion I decided to change my password and PIN and successfully did so. I updated the 1PW script, changing ONLY those two values, absolutely nothing else - no spaces, no deletions, no fat-finger goofs . The login failed the first time, said my password was incorrect. I did all the normal and due verification that it was indeed correct. I was even able to verify that it was correct by copying the PW from the login script into the PW field manually, which made the login work. The PIN field filled and completed correctly, BTW. Then I just figured I'd come back here, copy the script above, paste it into 1PW as directed above. Except that File --> New Item from Clipboard isn't showing as an option (screen shot enclosed, note this is taken AFTER copying the script to clipboard).

SUPER frustrating that a stupid login is THIS much trouble just because I changed a password and a PIN - and absolutely NOTHING else. Would really appreciate some insight. If it's going to be this much of a PITA, it's frankly a lot easier to write a password and a PIN down instead of using 1PW, which is supposed to expedite this, but isn't right now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amhoskinson: Based on your description I wonder if you perhaps edited the login by hand in 1Password to change the password/PIN (instead of updating the login in the browser), and have the old password/PIN still saved in the login from the website. If you click "show webform details", do you find them saved there still?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amhoskinson: I hate to say it, but while I had the same problem you did earlier, after a colleague mentioned it worked for them just now I tried it again and "New item from clipboard" is inexplicably working for me again now. If you quit 1Password completely (⌘ Q while holding Control and Option) or restart your Mac, does that help?

• amhoskinson
    amhoskinson
    Community Member

Okay, I got new item from clipboard working. Again I edited the script exactly as directed above - WITH the correct and working password. The first time I tried to run it, USAA returned "online ID and password incorrect." When I manually copy username and password from the login script, of course they work. That suggests to me that something about how I have the web form set up is incorrect, but I again checked Jamie's suggestion (that worked before) and verified the script is set up correctly. Other ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amhoskinson: Count the characters you see in the password field when you have 1Password fill it, and then also when you paste it yourself. Is it the same or different?

• eseglem
    eseglem
    Community Member

Looks like this is figured out now for Mac, but what about for Windows? It doesn't appear that there is any way to create a new item from clipboard. Why does the UI not just allow adding web form detail fields manually? That would solve this whole problem easily.

This discussion has been closed.