How to use 1Password with two sets of passwords (vaults?), or merge them?

Options
srohde
srohde
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I don't have a good understanding of 1Password terminology so it's a bit hard for me communicate my question with precision so I'll give it a try...

1. I've been using 1Password for years in my personal life. My backup location is my personal iCloud account.
  2. I recently started a new job so I decided to set up a new instance of 1Passwords for work. My backup location is a different iCloud account I created for work.
  3. So now I have two sets of passwords, each backed up to different locations. Is each set a "vault"?
  4. I'd like to be able to access personal passwords from work and work passwords from home. How does 1Password support this? Do I need to use the same backup locations? Do I need to merge into one "vault"? Can I switch between vaults?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - first of all, thanks so much for "using 1Password for years!" You longer-term users are literally what has made 1Password what it is today. We couldn't have done it without you. So, thanks! :)

Don't worry about the terminology, except I do want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here: when you say "backup location is my personal iCloud account," I assume you mean that's how you're syncing your data? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're using iCloud as your sync method, and you've got two different Apple IDs (iCloud accounts), then those two instances of 1Password will never sync with one another via iCloud, because Apple doesn't allow you to share data between iCloud accounts like that. They're supposed to be like a fingerprint -- your personal data.

However, that doesn't mean you can't ever have more than just a single vault. The easiest way to do what you're looking for would be a 1password.com membership (account). There are many advantages to a 1Password account, but one of them is that since you'd be syncing your data through 1password.com instead of iCloud, you won't be limited to a single vault per Apple ID. If you have an Individual 1password.com account, you'll begin with a Personal vault, but you can create as many subsequent vaults as you like -- so one named "Work" would be quite easily set up. Best of all, every 1password.com membership includes unlimited access to ALL FOUR of our native 1Password applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android).

You can head over to the main 1Password sign-up page and create a trial account that's free for a full 30 days. If you decide you like it, you can migrate your data from your local vault(s) into your account and you'll be on your way! Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Is the following true?

If a user sets the 1Password sync location to iCloud, iPassword uses the iCloud account that is currently signed in the device's OS, e.g., for macOS, it's the iCloud account currently signed in in the System Preferences' iCloud pane. 1Password does not permit sync locations to be uniquely specified for each vault; all vaults must be synced to the same location (to same Dropbox account, to the same iCloud account or to the same local shared folder.)

Apparently 1Password offers a paid service that includes a sync solution; however, I don't see how to chose this option from 1Password's settings. Sorry to be so obtuse but I just don't understand you product offering.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@srohde - yes, what you excerpted is correct. The reason you can't see an option for 1password.com's sync solution in the Sync tab of 1Password 6 for Mac's Preferences is because you're looking at your Primary vault. Your Primary vault (and any other vaults you create locally on your own device) are standalone vaults, unconnected to 1password.com's servers.

When you create a 1password.com account at the main 1Password account sign-up page, those vaults are stored on the 1password.com servers. You add your new 1Password account to your local 1Password for Mac app by clicking on the “Accounts” tab of Preferences. Here's some more-complete instructions for doing so.

Once you've added your account, you can move your existing data from your Primary vault into your 1password.com vaults, and then you can sign into your account on your other devices as well.

ref: OPM-5685

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I should start with resolving some basic confusion I have regarding terms I see in the 1Passwords documentation but don't understand:

What is a vault and what is it's function.
    Why would anyone have more than one vault?

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

So, I now have both of my Primary vaults synching to the same Dropbox folder, resulting in two different files. How do I move the data from the the data in the .opvault file into the .agilekeychain file? I looked in the 1Password File menu and found an Export menu item (yay!) but it's disabled (boo!). So, I'm stuck and looking for advice. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde Vaults are containers that hold collections of information you want to keep secure. They're each encrypted with their own key, which is why they're separate. You can create as many vaults as you like whether you have a 1password.com account or you're using 1Password in standalone mode with local data.

Why would someone have more than one vault? Lots of reasons, though for many people there's no need to have more than one. Some of the reasons a person might want to have more than one vault might be:

• You want to share some -- but not all -- of your 1Password data with colleagues or family members. You keep your private, personal data in your own vault, and put shared items (such as perhaps the family Netflix password, shared bank account info, etc) into the Shared vault, etc.
    • You want to keep work or organizational logins separate from your personal life logins because you have a personal Facebook, Twitter, Gmail account, but you also have the same accounts for work, and don't want to have them side-by-side in the same vault, causing confusion.

If you're a single user of 1Password (i.e. - no family or colleagues with whom you want or need to share 1Password data), then you're quite right that you may never have any need for more than one vault -- and that's perfectly fine. 1Password can accommodate you in either case. :)

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    Options

You're response was helpful but did not address the questions posed in my posting from 7:08AM Pacific so I'll try posting the content again.

So, I now have both of my Primary vaults synching to the same Dropbox folder, resulting in two different files. How do I move the data from the the data in the .opvault file into the .agilekeychain file? I looked in the 1Password File menu and found an Export menu item (yay!) but it's disabled (boo!). So, I'm stuck and looking for advice. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde

You're response was helpful but did not address the questions posed in my posting from 7:08AM Pacific

That would be because at the time I began writing my reply to your post from 6:34 Pacific, the 7:08 post did not yet exist, and although I try to anticipate the needs and questions of our customers, actually being able to read their minds is a skill I have yet to master fully, as is time travel. ;) If you've created a post already, please give us a chance to reply to it before you follow up with another. Thanks! :)

I now have both of my Primary vaults synching to the same Dropbox folder, resulting in two different files.

Yup, that will be because the older data is, well, older -- the Agile Keychain format was the current sync keychain format from its introduction in 2009-era to approximately 2015 or so. In the meantime, we developed the OPVault format, which is a more robust and flexible (and therefore quicker) sync keychain. Currently, all versions of 1Password applications will write out an OPVault keychain by default, instead of an Agile Keychain, but older versions would have used the older format.

May I ask: are you interested in setting up a 1password.com account for your data, or do you plan to stick with using 1Password in standalone mode with local data? I ask because it will affect what instructions I give you for proceeding.

Re: your sidenote: Select the vault you created and now no longer wish to use by choosing it in the Vault Menu (top left of the main window of 1Password for Mac), then going to 1Password menu > Delete vault. This will remove the unwanted vault.

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    Options

No, I am not interested in setting up and paying annually for a 1password.com account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - Thanks for the clarification. If you want to use Dropbox, then on each of your Macs (home and work), open your Dropbox folder and double-click the keychain that is NOT the one you already have open in 1Password on that device. You'll be asked to give this vault a name, and enter the password for that vault. If you run into any difficulties, we've got a step-by-step guide for troubleshooting Dropbox sync available to assist you.

This discussion has been closed.