No upgrade from Version 6?

Options
FolsomRider
FolsomRider
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The beta 7 blog post appears to indicate that Version 6 licenses are not upgradeable to version 7. Is this correct?

That's expensive if so.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @FolsomRider.

You are correct that there will not be a traditional "upgrade" path. We want to say thank you to everyone who has supported us all these years so we will be having a special upgrade sale. Licenses can be purchased during the beta period for only $39.99, nearly 40% off the standard price of $64.99.

Alternatively you can sign up for a 1Password membership (any level) which includes access to all of the latest versions of all of our native 1Password apps. :) This is how we recommend using 1Password, and it definitely provides the best experience.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

On that note @Ben, the Purchase page mentioned that the discount was 25%… Obviously wrong :-)

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

@cortig,

Is the price shown the correct price ($39.99)? I'm not able to view the purchasing page myself right at the moment.

Ben

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member
    Options

Ouch.

I've avoided the membership but clearly that's the path you want us to take.

Can I convert my personal vault or perhaps a better question is, how do I use my personal vault once I get a membership?

How do I change the iOS app to use the membership?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

The price was correct (and I can no longer view the window to confirm). It's just the calculation of the discount that was inaccurate.

Corentin

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

@FolsomRider

Instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account - 1Password Support

How do I change the iOS app to use the membership?

If you're going to use your Mac to do the migration I'd suggest uninstalling & reinstalling the iOS app, and signing in using your 1Password membership account upon re-installation. That will clear out the (old) standalone vault that will no longer be used, and make it such that 1Password on iOS will unlock with your 1Password account Master Password.

You'll also want to pay careful attention to the step to delete the Primary vault from the Mac once the migration is complete. Leaving it around will cause your Mac to use that Master Password instead of your account Master Password to unlock, which is sure to cause problems down the road. :)

Ben

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I'm confused about that link — the instructions appear to be how to use a vault without an account. I want to understand how to convert my vault to use with an account.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that -- you're right, it was the wrong article. Too many articles with "migrate" in the title. I've updated my previous post with the correct article link.

Ben

• calamita
    calamita
    Community Member
    Options

Where do we purchase the upgrade?

• Ben
    Options

@calamita,

The upgrade purchase happens within the app when you install 1Password 7 beta 1 while using a standalone license.

Ben

• rdmrocha
    rdmrocha
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I'm a standalone user for more than 3 years. If I do purchase the 40$ upgrade, for how long should I expect it to be valid?

• Ben
    Options

@rdmrocha

Licenses don't expire, but are valid for one major version only (e.x. v6 for Mac). I'd recommend using a 1Password membership if you want a more consistent experience.

Ben

• Hanterdro
    Hanterdro
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I bought 1Password in the macOS and iOS App Store.
    What will happen if Version 7 will be released?

Will you release on the App Store a new 7 Version or upgrade 6 to 7? Same for iOS?

• Ben
    Options

@Hanterdro,

1Password 7 for iOS is already available on the iTunes App Store. If you aren't already running it please check it out:

1Password on the iTunes App Store

1Password 7 for Mac will be available in the Mac App Store for customers who are using 1Password.com accounts, but customers wishing to use 1Password 7 standalone will need to install the version from our website and purchase a new license in-app.

Thanks.

Ben

• azrael
    azrael
    Community Member
    Options

Shut up and take my money!

• Ben
    Options

Shut up and take my money!

Ha! Thanks. :) The best way to use 1Password and support AgileBits is with a 1Password membership.

Ben

• Hanterdro
    Hanterdro
    Community Member
    Options

Right, I‘m using on iOS 1Password 7 8-)

Does this mean you will upgrade the App Store 1Password from Version 6 to 7 and I can‘t continue using it, because I bought it in the past in the Apple App Store 1 Password for macOS and don‘t own a standalone licence from your website or using the membership? (which I don‘t consider, becaue I use 1Password with iCloud).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

To use 1Password 7 standalone you will need to use the download from our site and purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license direct. It will not be possible to use 1Password 7 with a purchase from the App Store (except for membership subscription purchases).

Edit: Sorry, I think I may have initially misunderstood your question. To continue using 1Password 6 after 1Password 7's release you'd need to download 1Password 6 from us. That's no fun though. There is so much cool stuff in v7 I don't know why anyone would way to stay on v6. :tongue:

Ben

• Hanterdro
    Hanterdro
    Community Member
    Options

So you make my bought 1Password 6 App Store licence invalid, after I don‘t own a licence from the website? o.O
    Additoinal I avoid Apps which are not from the App Store, because I want that updates come from one source (the App Store). I am not a friend of that non App Store apps using all an own update system.

However, why do you not offer in 1Password 7 from the App Store not just a paid in app upgrade for the new features (meaning people can contiune using the old feature set in the App Store if they don‘t upgrade. If you want the new features you need the one time in app purchase or the membership). Procreate has a similar system.
    I would be willed to pay for the upgrade, but I will not leave the app store or make a subscription.
    Please discuss this option, otherwise I have to move forward :/

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

So you make my bought 1Password 6 App Store licence invalid, after I don‘t own a licence from the website? o.O

No. You can continue to use 1Password 6, but going forward if you want to use it that version it'll have to be downloaded from us.

However, why do you not offer in 1Password 7 from the App Store not just a paid in app upgrade for the new features (meaning people can contiune using the old feature set in the App Store if they don‘t upgrade. If you want the new features you need the one time in app purchase or the membership). Procreate has a similar system.
    I would be willed to pay for the upgrade, but I will not leave the app store or make a subscription.

The (fairly limited) options were discussed at length and for a number of reasons it was decided this was the best way forward. Everything is subject to change.

Please discuss this option, otherwise I have to move forward :/

I'm sorry to hear that, but that is of course your choice. You could simply not install the update to v7 from the App Store, staying on v6, but that means you won't be able to use the super handy "update all" button in the App Store, which is probably not a real solution.

Ben

• Hanterdro
    Hanterdro
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

This sad, I was mostly satified with 1Password (expect for this strange bug that I have to enable and disable the 1Password Safari Addon on every few days or restart the webbrowser).

However, I think I will give enpass a try.

• Ben
    Options

I'd always encourage anyone to give the competition a try. We want folks to use 1Password because they're happy with it and feel it is the best option; not because they feel locked in.

If you decide you'd like help with the issue you're having with Safari please feel free to start a thread or email in. :)

Ben

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm a little confused here so let me ask:

I currently have 1Password 6 from the Mac App store. I'm happy to upgrade to 1Password 7 beta now to get the discount. However, because I purchased my 1Password 6 from the Mac App store, I don't have a standalone license number.

If I download and pay for the 1Password 7 beta for Mac now, will I still be able to purchase it at the price of $39.99?

• Ben
    Options

@tiantai,

Yes, if you purchase during the beta period. We're not checking any license numbers for the upgrade and are instead time-limiting it.

Ben

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben.

And finally, 1 last question: I assume the non-Mac App version of 1 Password 7 is not able to sync via iCloud. Only the Mac App version will be able to iCloud sync. Correct?

• rudy
    Options

@tiantai,

Incorrect. Both will have the ability to talk to iCloud, the same as it is in 6.8.8.

Rudy

• Ben
    Options

1Password for Mac can sync with iCloud regardless of where it is downloaded from.

Ben

• Hi @tiantai ,

Both 1Password from the Mac App Store, and from our web site are able to sync through iCloud.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Oh, ok. Thanks! I seemed to remember that the reason I purchased through the Mac App store was because of its ability to iCloud sync. Hmm..ok!

• Ben
    Options

Yep; that used to be the case and may very well have been at the time you originally purchased. Apple has since released new APIs that allow apps to sync with iCloud from outside the App Store.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.