1Password 7 bugs....

Options
andesvirgo
andesvirgo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
  1. "Check for updates" crashes the installer and will neither check for nor install updates.

2. The Safari extension "opens and fills" login & password data, while the same command from the app itself only takes me to the website without autofilling password info. In other words, the main app will not "open and fill". Or, it will open but not fill.

3. These headaches were enough for me to revert to 1Password 6, and to uninstall the beta. However, after closing down the app, Safari, and even restarting my Mac, 1Password 7 could not be moved to trash, saying that the app was open, even though it was not. Clearly, there was a hidden process running in the background that could not be closed. Ended up using Dr. Cleaner Pro to remove the beta, but even that took some doing as I had to delete the backend app files before the main app file folder could be removed.

I thought I could help, and perhaps I have by sharing the above. But I simply cannot continue to use software so buggy that doesn't even want to be removed from my machine. I will say though, the layout, side panel, and UI is simply fantastic from what I saw! I look forward very much to using 1Password 7 in the stable final release.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

It looks to me like open and fill is totally borked. On my Mac the Safari extension will not open, but it will fill. I see the same thing as you with the app (open, no fill). The mini app opens but doesn't fill.

I think Agilebits released the Beta too early, it's more Alpha or pre-Alpha.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andesvirgo - thanks for helping us track things down! :)

"Check for updates" crashes the installer and will neither check for nor install updates.

Have you got "include beta builds" checked in Preferences > Updates? If not, that'll be the issue: there ARE not yet any non-beta releases of 1Password 7 for Mac.

...the main app will not "open and fill".

Yep, Open & Fill did not make it into the initial beta release. That'll be coming in an update soon.

Clearly, there was a hidden process running in the background that could not be closed.

Yes and no - there was a process, but it's not "hidden" -- it will be visible in Activity Monitor. Unlike version 6, 1Password 7 for Mac is a single process now (no separate processes for main app and mini), so "quitting" can not actually quit the app and still have the mini icon in the menu bar or have the browser extensions work. When you press Command-Q (or Quit from the menu) the app will look like it has quit (main window will go away, icon will disappear from Dock), but it will still show up in the Activity Monitor. This is not a bug, it's by design, to mimic the 1Password 6 for Mac behavior.

Ended up using Dr. Cleaner Pro to remove the beta...

We strongly recommend against using app cleaners or uninstallers to remove any version of 1Password for Mac, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to, including the user's actual 1Password data. The recommended process is to Quit 1Password completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then drag the 1Password app to the Trash and finally either empty the Trash or restart your Mac. Hope this helps! :)

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with Steve that the Beta was released far too early! What was the point to release this Beta version with Core Function does not work? Plus, fortunately I did not using app cleaners to remove my version 6 app but did drag it to the bin then empty it, now I see they only Strongly recommend this method in this Forum, not on Beta release page! Really disappointed!

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - should the '1Password 7 Beta' be on the 'Topics' filter?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Junrong - You're welcome to revert to using 1Password 6 for Mac if you prefer - though if you require a release-candidate-ready app for your day to day use, it does make me wonder why you'd download and install a beta in the first place. Fortunately, it's easy enough to switch back (and forth), if you wish.

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - how to revert to 1Password 6?

• Ben
    Options

Drag 1Password 7 to the trash and empty the trash. Then download 1Password 6 here:

Password manager for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Safari, Linux - 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.