macOS alert when using the 1PW Mini Keyboard Shortcut to Close Mini [Alfred was using same shortcut]

Options
jfelchner
jfelchner
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Reproduce

• Use the Keyboard shortcut (Cmd-Alt-\ for me) to open mini
  • Use the Keyboard shortcut to close mini

Expected Result

Mini closes

Actual Result

Mini closes while triggering a macOS alert (both audible and visual if enabled)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

FWIW this has been happening (either on open or close) since 1PW 7 was released (as far as I can tell). This is not solely a "new mini" issue.

• Ben
    Options

@jfelchner

Does this happen regardless of what application is in the foreground?

Ben

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@ben It appears so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner - Hmmm. I can't reproduce this issue here, on two different Macs, multiple user accounts. I'm wondering if you have any other keyboard-modifier or text-capturing apps installed and running?

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars why would it only happen on closing mini but not on open? I've checked keyboard shortcuts in other apps, but I can double-check.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner - I don't know. It's certainly odd. Do you have any of the other types of apps I mentioned?

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

macOS, Alfred and SizeUp should be the only things intercepting keyboard shortcuts.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

If you use the Command-\ shortcut to open and close mini does this happen? If not then the issue would almost definitely be some sort of shortcut conflict on your system. Like Lars I’ve been unable to reproduce this on my system. I am also running Alfred, but not SizeUp. My shortcut for Alfred is Command-Space.

Ben

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Ben, Command-\ does a fill, but never opens mini for me.

Edit: Ah, I see, it's because my site didn't have multiple logins. Yes it comes up and closes itself with no alert given on close.

• Ben
    Options

I'd say you have a conflict with your keyboard shortcut then. :)

Ben

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben if that were the case I'd expect it to happen both on open and close yes?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner,

That’s what I’d expect would happen but clearly something else is going on. :wink:

Have you checked Alfred, SizeUp, etc. to see if the Option-Command-\ shortcut is being used for anything?

Also, if you temporarily set a different shortcut for Open 1Password in General Preferences does its usage behave any differently? And what happens when you reset it back to the Option-Command-\ default?

Lastly, which version/build of 1Password are you running that has this issue? It’s helpful to include that information. especially with relatively frequent updates to 1Password 7 happening right now. :smile:

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely seems like something funky going on with High Sierra. It's both recognizing and not recognizing Option keypresses. I have no idea what's going on. It's super flaky and weird.

• rudy
    Options

@jfelchner,

I've been looking at the code for all this and I don't think the beep is coming from us directly. I think we'll add some logging into 7.0.2 betas and see if we can confirm that we aren't the ones initiating the beep.

Rudy

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

Holy crap guys, it was Alfred. And the only reason I found it was I searched the forums and found this:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/110582/#Comment_110582

Turns out it's buried under three levels of settings.

What an annoying issue. Sorry for wasting your alls time with it.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I have zero idea why this wasn't happening to me before considering I've never changed this setting in the past.

• rudy
    Options

@jfelchner

I'm glad we were able to get to the bottom of the beeps. I had started writing an app to break down all the registered global hot keys as a result of a bug report someone else on the team had filed, but sadly the API apple provides doesn't let you know who registered it, just that its there, so it would've only gotten us half way there on tracking this down.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.