Hotkey for switching vault has changed after update to 1Password 7

Options
forsgren
forsgren
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

My main vault (iCloud) has always been accessed via ⌘+1, and my other vaults (local) has been targeted with ⌘+2, ⌘+3 and so on.

After updating from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 my main vault all of a sudden has been placed on ⌘+3. How do I restore it to ⌘+1. The main vault gets pushed further up the number for each new vault I add…

Sure, it might seem as a minor inconvenience, but this really makes me frustrated.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @forsgren! Indeed, when 1Password accounts are present, the shortcuts in 1Password 7 are different from the ones in 1Password 6 and local vaults are last in the list. We're looking into some improvements for this, perhaps allowing reordering of the vaults. I'll let the team know you asked about it. :)

ref: apple-1420

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Jacob! However; I have no 1Password account. I have three vaults: One iCloud (my primary) and two local Dropbox synced.

The one that ends up last in the list is the iCloud (which is my primary).

It really makes sense to have the primary vault (no matter which one it is) placed first, don't you agree?

I really hope this gets sorted out, because it really makes me regretting purchasing the update :(

(been purchasing every update since 2009)

The vault reordering seems to have been "looked into" since a few years, so that would be great if it actually made it into the software at any moment now… ;) That being said: How much hope should be put into getting manually defined hotkeys (command+1, 2, 3) for the vaults any time soon?

• DexM
    DexM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob! I'd like to second this. Please implement the ability to reorder vaults. Currently I have 5 vaults in my account and they seem to be in random order. I'd like to move most used ones to ⌘+1 and ⌘+2. Thanks for great work on 1Password 👍

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

It's possible to remap vault switching shortcuts for the main 1Password 7 app using App Shortcuts in System Preferences. I posted an example of how to do it for 1Password 6 in this comment. Here's a simple example for 1Password 7, swapping shortcuts for Primary and Personal.

Vault > Switch to Vault menu before remapping:

System Preferences > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts additions for 1Password 7:

Vault > Switch to Vault menu after remapping:

There's currently no way to do something similar for 1Password mini in version 7, being that there's no longer a separate process to select for it in App Shortcuts, although this improvement in 7.0.1 can help there:

• You can now use Command-L (⌘L) in 1Password mini to open the vault list.

And what I mentioned for version 6 in the older comment sill applies for version 7:

… when you have multiple vaults with the same name (e.g. Personal and/or Private while signed in with multiple accounts, a shortcut assigned to one of them only applies to the first vault or can even be overridden by a default, …

Yet with only one vault (standalone) normally named Primary, this does provide a way to (re)assign it a vault switching shortcut to use in the main app. Can be useful when Primary is lists under several account vaults, especially without any Command‑1 to Command‑9 shortcut for it.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Well, thats way beyond a hacky "solution"… Especially since it does not work in 1Password Mini. A built in option for sorting the vaults, or at least the ability to add custom command-[number] hotkeys for them really would make sense, don't you agree?

How does it make sense that the primary vaults hotkey can change just because you add/remove another vault? The primary vault is just that, the primary vault - and it should be treated as such… :(

The command+L (which is a nice option) also makes the switching way more cumbersome than simply command-[number]

• effata
    effata
    Community Member
    Options

Agreeing with previous comments. The experience when upgrading 1password today was one of utter frustration, as deeply ingrained shortcuts for different vaults suddenly changed. I have a primary vault synced through dropbox, where all my main things are stored. And as part of my job, I have access to several company vaults with different opsrelated passwords in them. Most of my day I only want to access the primary vault, so having that as ⌘1 is the most natural.

A feature to change the sorting of the vaults would be very nice, if you're not going to revert the default sorting change.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@forsgren and @effata - thanks for weighing in on this, and I'm sorry you were frustrated with the experience of moving from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. As Jacob mentioned in a previous post in this thread, we're looking into ways to make vault order and keyboard commands more configurable.

ref: apple-1420

• dirn
    dirn
    Community Member
    Options

While I wait for the announcement of a version of the upgrade that just leaves the order alone, I’ve found that the best solution is to go back to 1Password 6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @dirn! Thanks for weighing in.

• bzambrano
    bzambrano
    Community Member
    Options

I also find this new behavior extremely frustrating. So far the 1P 7 update has been more of an inconvenience than anything else. While that "solution" technically solves the problem, it's masking the root issue and is a non-solution since it's a workaround for a UX regression.

I hope the 1Password team can address this soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @bzambrano! Thanks for adding your voice to this issue.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Any updates regarding the issue with the hotkeys/ordering of the vaults?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@forsgren - we don't usually do updates or timelines for feature requests or even bug fixes, because we get pulled in a bunch of different directions, often unpredictably, and features are usually ready when...they're ready. I don't mean that to sound smug; we're just learned over time that the instant we think we can give a date for something that hasn't actually happened yet, will be the time that something else requires our attention, or something we thought was nearly a done deal turns out to have a wrinkle we didn't anticipate. I can tell you it is being actively considered internally, but nothing to share beyond that. Keep an eye on release notes and updates to see what's newest out of the gate, and thanks for your consistent attention to this. :)

• bzambrano
    bzambrano
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the feedback and color on this @Lars.

I've been writing software for nearly 20 years and know what it's like to service feature requests. There is no way a team can address them all.

In this case, this is a regression. You had this feature subsequently took it away. That's not a feature request in my professional opinion. If anything it's a bug. I'm not looking for a date but it'd be nice to hear that you guys consider this a bug rather than some customers asking for some new feature since it's not.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bzambrano - I don't want to get into an argument with you over what the definition of a term or two is, but my view of a bug is something in the code which causes either crashes or data loss/malformed output, or impedes the functioning of the program itself. This doesn't do any of those things; we've made a change in the UI. I didn't say this was either a feature request OR a bug, but it's definitely a change, and as such we'll consider people's feedback regarding what they think of it and how it affects their user experience.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Another frustrating month has passed for me… :) So, this is still a major issue for me, since my primary vault changes position ever so often depending on how many vaults I sync… Resulting in customer passwords ending up in my private (primary) vault... I realise you're not very keen on promising anything, but the phrase "it is being actively considered internally" doesn't mean too much. The only thing that means is "we're thinking about maybe doing something".

Have you guys decided if you will fix this issue?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@forsgren - thanks for checking in again on us, and apologies for the continued frustration. I'd suggest using the ⌘L shortcut for the present. I really do understand this is a major issue for you, but we don't get too many other requests for it, and it's not a security issue, which means this is something that's got a relatively lower priority than a number of other issues on the plate of our developers. We appreciate your patience.

This discussion has been closed.