The text format in Secure Notes is different in the Edit Mode than it is after saving it.

Options
Big_Dave
Big_Dave
Community Member

If I create a Secure Note and I make sure my text is all lined up and looks really "nice and pretty" (very important to some of us with OCD), when I save it, it loses all of that nice spacing. I have attached two screen shots. The first is the data as I added it in the Edit Mode. The second is how it looked after I saved it. You can see, it is much messier after saving it.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:The format of text in text edit is different in edit mode compared to after saving.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Big Dave

Use three backquotes at the beginning and end of your notes section to use Pre-formatted text. Ex:

```
    ABC DEF
    ```

See:

https://support.1password.com/markdown/

• Big_Dave
    Big_Dave
    Community Member
    Options

That didn't make any difference.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @Big Dave ,

Non-Markdown text in your secure notes is not yet "rendered". It is shown when you edit as a fixed-width font. Don't go by what you see there - instead, use the same number of tabs or spaces in between your columns throughout. When you finally Save, the rendered version is shown.

Example below, of Edit vs View modes. There are two tabs between the columns. You'll see the Edit view, the font is a fixed-width font, so all characters align. But in View mode, the first rows are non-Markdown, so render in a proportionally spaced font, and that the digits do not align. The other two, Pre-formatted and Code Markdown, use a fixed-width font, so all characters do align.

<rant on>
    Off-topic, I am not a fan of Markdown for us ordinary users. It is a step back to the 80's where users had to provide special formatting "codes" to render their text - it is non-WYSIWYG. This means users like you and I have to think hard about what we are trying to achieve formatting-wise, and constantly cycle between Edit/Save/View modes to get to a final version of what we want. Markdown is fine for coders who want a simple, easy to type way to format w/out having to rely on using a mouse to Select/Embelish-on/Embelish-off workflow. In other words, it's faster for a few of us, at the expense of what the vast majority of the population has been doing for the past 20 years.

<rant off>

note: Above, I had to Edit/Save 10 times to get the rant on/rant off to show as I typed it, failed (since the forum software here uses Markdown, and the < character causes it to eat the entire thing), so eventually just gave up and encapsulated it in Code Markdown.

• Big_Dave
    Big_Dave
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the info, but you are right, what you are discussing mostly goes over my head. I am just looking for something simple. Is 1Password working on something for us 90% of the population?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Big Dave ,

I'll let the Agilebits folks speak to your question/issue. I'm just an ordinary user like you. I hope I was able to at least shed some light.

• Big_Dave
    Big_Dave
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. I hope someone from Agilebits does address this.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC "I'm just an ordinary user like you" is like Clark Kent saying he's just an ordinary newspaper reporter. :-)

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @Big Dave! Thanks for asking about this. We've got some improvements to do in the Markdown rendering side of things, and this is one we'll add to our list. :) I appreciate you mentioning it.

ref: b5brain-1

• Big_Dave
    Big_Dave
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Big Dave On behalf of Jacob, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to provide some helpful information. :)

• Beloany
    Beloany
    Community Member
    Options

Why is it that secure notes used to be so easy to use and now as soon I click save there are boxes on top and around everything and 90% of the text is hidden. Once clicking on edit again it looks fine. I don't know what Markdown is and I do not care. I do not want to recreate ALL my massive notes with a ''' everywhere. Just make what I write in editing, show up when I click save. Easy, Its been like this forever and never would have updated to 7 if I knew this was going to happen. I want SIMPLE back. Any chance of this happening?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Beloany:

I want SIMPLE back. Any chance of this happening?

Probably.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Beloany - indeed, this is something we're looking into making a user-selectable feature (i.e. - turn it on or off). This exists because we got a great deal of feedback over the years from people who wanted greater formatting options in Secure Notes (and notes fields in general). I'm not sure what you mean by "boxes on top" after clicking save, however. Can you post a screenshot or describe what you're seeing, that you don't like?

• Big_Dave
    Big_Dave
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, we do want the formatting options, but we want it to be simple to use like any standard word processor. Just being able to turn it on or off is not a solution. Can you imagine creating something in Microsoft Word and then when you saved it, the format would be different than how you created it? That would be a nightmare.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@bigdave - Markdown specifically was something many users requested; more requested some type of formatting without specifically mentioning Markdown. It's something we can consider going forward, but there are issues surrounding formatting of text in the encrypted/secure environment we have to operate in. Markdown works well (though even that has concerns) because it IS text -- it's just formatting markers that you don't see when rendered. Thanks for taking the time to share your wishes with us, and in the meantime, we've actually got a great guide to basic Markdown formatting that's used in 1Password. Markdown was written a while back (not by us) to be a very simple-to-learn (and use) way to format text. You might want to check that out in the interim.

This discussion has been closed.