Cannot install windows app on work computer, nor have access to dropbox

Options

I'm testing out 1password and cannot install the app on my work laptop with windows, and don't have access to dropbox due to admin rights, etc. Is there a way I can still use 1password through the browser and use the extension so my passwords and info aren't stored in other places like Amazon, etc?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise
Sync Type: none available
Referrer: forum-search:without install

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @hiltigger,

Thanks for writing in.

For standalone vaults + Dropbox, no you cannot. There isn't a feasible method that'd allow extensions have direct access to a folder via the file system, it is often not implemented due to security risks.

Just to be clear, you already tried installing 1Password 7 on your laptop? 1Password 7 doesn't require admin rights at all. If you can install 1Password, you can just put your standalone vault on a USB drive and 1Password can monitor that standalone vault for you.

The only way you can access your 1Password data via extension only is via 1Password.com membership, where the encrypted content of your 1Password data would be hosted with us and 1Password X extension can download that encrypted content into the local browser's database for the extension (still encrypted) and only decrypted when you unlock 1Password.

• hiltigger
    hiltigger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @MikeT .

Yes I tried installing it and the executable was blocked. I guess it makes it slightly more painful for the work computer, but should still be helpful to use more secure passwords for all my stuff, at least that's what I'm thinking.

On my personal stuff it should still be able to utilize all the same information, correct? I guess using the same vault?

Trying it for a few websites for now.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @hiltigger,

Yes I tried installing it and the executable was blocked.

It sounds like your work network blocks everything that's not on their whitelist. The only way to get 1Password to install is by asking you're IT department to whitelist it.

On my personal stuff it should still be able to utilize all the same information, correct? I guess using the same vault?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're referring to 1Password X with 1Password.com membership, yes, you'd be able to migrate your data to your 1Password account with this guide: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ (There are notes of what changes between the standalone vaults and 1Password in the bottom, such as folders > tags and attachments > Document items)

• hiltigger
    hiltigger
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're referring to 1Password X with 1Password.com membership, yes, you'd be able to migrate your data to your 1Password account with this guide: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ (There are notes of what changes between the standalone vaults and 1Password in the bottom, such as folders > tags and attachments > Document items)

I think I may have stated it wrong. I meant that I can use 1password just fine on my personal stuff (iPhone, iPad, etc), but just have to go through the website when I go through my work computer. All the information between my own stuff should sync with the website, which I can then glean from when I need it on my work computer. As least that's what I'm understanding so far.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @hiltigger,

In that case, yes, the 1Password.com web app will stay in sync with all of your 1Password apps with your 1Password account.

Were you able to install the 1Password X extension for either Chrome or Firefox? Most users are able to use 1Password X when the main app can't be installed on a work computer.

• hiltigger
    hiltigger
    Community Member
    Options

Were you able to install the 1Password X extension for either Chrome or Firefox? Most users are able to use 1Password X when the main app can't be installed on a work computer.

Thanks @MikeT 1password X seems to do it!

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @MikeT I am also on a trial month for 1Password. I, too, have the same issue with not being able to install the 1Password Windows application due to my work laptop being blocked to download and install applications. I was able to download the 1Password Chrome Extension. I do see the 1Password icon at the top right corner of the browser. When I click on the icon, I am taken to login to my 1Password account (I do notice "1Password X" on the sign-in page). When I login using my master password, I get notification in my email that a Chrome login was attempted (I seem to get that email 3 times). However, I just get a spinning icon on the screen. So it looks like something is preventing me to login completely.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zngrdnzr,

It sounds like 1Password X can't connect to the servers, so please try to whitelist the access to 1Password.com domains in your network and check if the issue remains. If it does, please provide more information about your network environment at work. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.