Import of CSV Files from SplashID

Options
crownprp
crownprp
Community Member

I am trying to move over from SplashID Safe and have broken up my data into 25 separate CSV files for import into 1Password. The first import I tried was the Login type. The issue is that even though the data in the CSV appears to be formatted in proper field order (as defined by the Login type), the data does not get placed into the proper fields. The first field, Name is properly filled, but the succeeding fields are not.

NOTE: I tried importing a VID file but it could not be read. The import failed immediately.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:IMPORTING

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@crownprp ,

Tha'ts a lot of work.

Have you tried the splashid converter from the converter suite ? It will use the raw VID file you've exported.

Please give it a try - if there are any issues, I'll correct them and help get your data converted and imported. Please let me know what version of SplashID you are using.

• crownprp
    crownprp
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the SplashID converter first, but couldn’t get it to work. It failed with an error related to being unable to read the file. Don’t know if it has to do with it being password protected or not. If you need specific wording I can get that for you. That’s when I went the CSV route. Wasn’t that hard actually since the Category names came over as the first field in each record. I was able to then break up the data into 25 individual files for import. Where things got sticky is in the import in proper field order. Hence my request.

The other issue with importing the full data set via a VID file is that it’ll all get stuck into ONE category. In this case I’ve got 25 categories and I’d like to import them into individual categories. Keep in mind that I’ve got 1039 records to import. I’m aware that 1Password does NOT have custom categories which is really a shame. I also know from reading the forums that tags and the like can be applied to records as a workaround. I’d just like to get my full dataset into 1Password to see if those limitations will be problematic and the workarounds something I can live with.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options

@crownprp ,

If you exported the VID as an encrypted file, then yes, it would not be "readable" (the file can be read, but that data would be gibberish and unusable). The exact error messages would be useful. FYI: I've tested the splashid using up to version 8 of SplashID.

$ perl convert_to_1p4.pl splashid ../_TestFiles/splashid8_mac.vid -v
    Imported 23 items
    Exported 1 server item
    Exported 3 membership items
    Exported 11 note items
    Exported 3 login items
    Exported 2 bankacct items
    Exported 1 creditcard item
    Exported 1 rewards item
    Exported 1 email item
    Exported 23 total items
    You may now import the file /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P_import.1pif into 1Password

The SplashID export section of the README.pdf instructs how to export the file as decrypted VID format.

The converter supports the following stock SplashID import types:

supported import types:
    addressses bankacct clothes combinations creditcard email files frequentflyer
    identification insurance membership note phonenumbers prescriptions serialnum server
    userdefined vehicles weblogins

and exports them to the appropriate 1Password categories:

supported export types:
    bankacct creditcard email login membership note rewards server

If you have customized your SplashID "types", then the converter would have to be customized to address those. All of this is driven by a customizable table of export to import instructions. I'm happy to help you if you are interested.

• crownprp
    crownprp
    Community Member
    Options

MrC, as I explore what 1Password has to offer, I'm discovering that the lack of custom categories puts up a big roadblock in how I view my data. If they were to enhance the product with the ability to create custom categories AND import them from other products, I'd be in. But I'd hate to put you through a lot of work to import my data into a product that is not capable of distinguishing it as I'd like. Too many workarounds.

I sincerely appreciate your offer but it appears that even the base categories within 1Password will not suffice. I've done a few imports of the CSV files into Credit Cards, Logins and Secure types. The data still needs massaging and I'm just beginning. I don't want to have to spend tons of valuable time putting things back as they should be only to be met with the limitations of the program. I'm sticking with SplashID for now. To be frank, the only reason I looked at 1Password was because of its compatibility with FaceID on the iPhone. I'll revisit the program from time to time and will jump on it once the category issue has been improved.

Thanks again for your offer. Seems like you've helped a lot of people move over to 1Password. Nice community service and something that does lack on the SplashID side. Trust me, I want to move but now is not the time.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options

@crownprp ,

No problem, everyone has to go with the right tool for their needs.

If/when you decide to try again, folks are here to help.

Before I let you go, please do note how flexible 1Password is in terms of customized Sections and Fields. Here's an example of where I showed how a Secure Note can look just like an Identity record. See the three adjacent posts here. The sky's the limit.

This discussion has been closed.