Reused password handling change, Mac only, starting in 7.2.1

Options
tzs
tzs
Community Member

I have two vaults, named Personal and Archive. Archive contains things that were once in Personal but are no longer needed for logins, but that for whatever reason I didn't want to delete yet (i.e., I had some notes in them that I need to review before deleting). None of my vaults are shared vaults.

Prior to 7.2.1, if I was either in just Personal, or if I was in "All Vaults" but had "All Vaults" set to only include Personal, Watchtower would only report reused passwords for items that had a reused password in Personal. Similarly, when viewing entries in view/edit pane on the right, they would only be flagged as having a reused password if the password was reused in Personal.

Same if I switched to viewing Archive. Items there were only flagged if there was reuse within Archive.

Now since 7.2.1 Watchtower is looking through the combined Personal and Archive vaults when searching for reused passwords, even when I'm either specifically in Personal or in All Vaults but with Archive excluded in vault settings from All Vaults.

This change only seems to be on Mac. Windows 1Password 7.2.581 behaves like the Mac did before 7.2.1.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzs - thanks for reporting this, and sorry for the inconvenience. You're quite right; currently, Reused Passwords is looking at every vault, regardless of what you have selected in All Vaults or even the vault menu. This can cause some confusion because if you DO have the vault menu set to a single vault, it can appear as if some items are flagged as duplicates that don't have any other instances listed in Reused Passwords. We're currently looking into altering this behavior in 1Password for Mac, but I don't have anything to share regarding specific changes at this point. Thanks for your patience.

• jimbojones2000
    jimbojones2000
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

+1 to this.

I have the same login between 2 vaults. Not the same password, the same login. This is not a duplicate password; I used the "copy to vault" functionality

Worse, when I deleted one of the two logins, the "Reused Password" banner didn't go away, even on restarting 1Password.

I need a way to acknowledge or dismiss the "reused password" warning.

Turns out, (see other threads) that downgrading back to 7.1 is also impossible.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimbojones2000

I have the same login between 2 vaults. Not the same password, the same login. This is not a duplicate password; I used the "copy to vault" functionality

The "copy to vault" functionality does exactly what it says: it makes a duplicate of the item in one vault, in another vault of your choice. If that item being copied included a password field, then what you've done is duplicated the password, literally. We do have some fixes to address issues of this nature planned for upcoming releases.

Turns out, (see other threads) that downgrading back to 7.1 is also impossible.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but due to the database schema change in 7.2, it's certainly not possible to do directly just by deleting 7.2.x and reinstalling 7.1.2.

This discussion has been closed.