1Password X - Still Can't Get to Username Fields

Options

I was excited to get a new version of 1Password X recently, but a problem I've been having is still present. Namely, on many login screens - let's use the WordPress standard login as an example - it is impossible to access 1Password in the Username field because clicking in the field pops up a list of previously used login names that apparently come from Chrome itself. This blocks access to the 1Password list of matching account credentials. So I silently curse at the computer and click down in the password field where Chrome doesn't auto-suggest anything.

I don't think turning off auto-suggestions is a valid solution here. Rather I think 1Password needs to assert itself more aggressively via a higher z-index or something.

1Password Version: 1Passwortd X
Extension Version: 1.11.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Changing the z-index is a good idea, @djMot, but alas that's not going to help as Chrome is able to draw it's UI without updating the DOM itself. As such they are always going to win.

That leaves turning off auto-suggestions. The other alternative is to use the popup from the toolbar in situations where you're blocked like this, but that seems less satisfying to me.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

++dave;

• djMot
    djMot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave,

It is what it is. Hard to win in someone else's world when they don't want you to. Although I figured turning off "auto-suggestions" was a thing you could actually do, in real life I couldn't find such a setting. Maybe I missed it, idk. I hadn't thought about using the toolbar. That may be the best workaround. Thanks for that suggestion.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @djMot,

In Chrome I find that even if you disable Chrome's autofill at chrome://settings/passwords, if you have saved entries then it will still use them. If I delete the entry completely from Chrome then it should stop with the prompts. For some people that may not feel like an option if they want to store certain things in Chrome. For me 1Password is my source of all information so I'll happily keep the browser dumb and use 1Password.

I hope it helps, if it doesn't please let me know.

• djMot
    djMot
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables

I'm with you. 1Password can have it all. But when I go to that settings page, Auto Sign-in is OFF and there are no entries in the saved passwords list. That makes sense because, even before switching to 1Password, I have never let any browser remember logins for me. But still, some sites with logins - WordPress as probably one of those that I find this happening the most - I get a popup in the username field with all names I've used. As a web developer working a lot in WordPress, the list is substantial.

Hmm. Now that I think of it, I wonder if it's a "remember me" feature in WordPress that's focing this. That would suggest a global non-expiring WordPress cookie, or one that's refreshed on every login. Maybe it's not Chrome at all.

• That's strange. I had the list of logins appear for me once even when Auto Sign-in was disabled, but it stopped happening once I removed the Saved Passwords like Adam mentioned.

Maybe give a fresh Chrome profile a try and see what happens on WordPress?

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.