Feedback on the new 1Password mini

Options
14567810»

Comments

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

After an extended interval, I wonder if there any developments on the option to reduce the size of the mini?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing to announce at this time.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

That is not good news or what I wanted to hear.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know. They say "No news is good news". :tongue:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

I have to say that is a very disappointing response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HRD - pretty sure brenty is sleeping at this point, but I'll let him know your thoughts on the matter. :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars,

Thanks - I am at a lose to know why this small matter has taken an age to resolve.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HRD - "an age?" Seriously? I understand what you'd like to see, and we are indeed looking at restructuring the mini. But since 1Password 7 for Mac was released to the public only in May, I'd hardly call it "an age."

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars,

I suggest I first voiced my concerns prior to May during the beta period for version 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HRD - and we appreciate your feedback. :)

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    Options

Very relieved to report that v6 has been reliable for me under Mojave so far. 😅

Pity mini is still unchanged in v7, but understand that any changes that may happen will take time.

Perhaps some communication as to the outcome of the internal discussions about mini that seem to be taking place (hinted at a few times in the last two pages of this thread) would be appropriate? We are, after all, some of your most passionate and vocal users. 🤷‍♂️

I will not be switching to the current v7 version of mini. If that is the future, then my future won't be with 1Password sadly. Perhaps if the serious UX regressions I raised in my comment #457478 are addressed I'll put up with losing my screen real estate, but at this stage the things holding me back aren't even the screen real estate issue.

If at all possible, some clear communication other than "we're thinking about it" and "learn to love it" would be appreciated. There is no shame in admitting that v7 mini missed the mark if you now think that. Likewise, if your resolve is unchanged to keep it as is, then the sooner we learn that and start transitioning to other systems the better for everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Internal discussions are not public. Any plans we make are subject to change, as there will always be things that do not go as planned, and, as such, we don't generally talk about them, or any unreleased thing that may or may not ever see the light of day.

Certainly there's a vocal minority of users who hate the new 1Password mini in version 7 for one reason or another. But we're not going to prioritize changing it above all else when the vast majority of the userbase either likes the new design or is indifferent to it. I personally use it well over 45 minutes per day, and while I agree there is room for improvement, most of that involves smaller, incremental changes, not a redesign which some people seem to expect for some reason. Sorry that's probably not the answer you folks were hoping for, but that's the reality.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

HI @brenty

Thanks for this. May I suggest that it is too strong to use the word 'hate'. However, the reality is this thread is 10 pages long, and I have voiced my concern on the mini's size since it was first introduced very late during the beta period on version 7. Since then nothing has happened, neither has there been any indication that the views expressed by us beta testers have been taken into account.

All I am asking is for there be some statement from yourselves that our considered views are going to be addressed. If not, then we can all move on and cease troubling you on this matter.

Thank you.

• KushMastaFresh
    KushMastaFresh
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using the new 1Password Mini a bit more now and have gotten a bit more use to it I suppose.

But I still haven't noticed any benefits of its larger size and detached browser plugin window.

I agree "hate" is a strong word. I do still like 1Password and it functions well. The login saving, filling, and cloud syncing work well and the app and extension itself run reliably.

It's just super disappointing and frustrating that the older design of the browser extension worked much better for many of us, yet as users we're powerless to get it back to the way we prefer it (without downgrading).

I'm curious. I'd like to see a poll, official or unofficial (even a Twitter poll, I know by no means could it be used as an accurate measure), of what users think of the new 1Password Mini browser extension. I have a hard time believing users that actually used the current and older version prefer the newer one.

It's pretty clear that at this point the only options for us users that prefer the old design are:

1.) Downgrade

2.) Not use it at all

3.) Or just accept it and use what we feel is a poorer/less efficient design

So as I said, very disappointing and frustrating. But it still works well enough, in my opinion, that I don't plan on stopping using it. I just wish I hadn't become a user until version 7 was already released. So that way I didn't have any experience with v6, then I'd be much happier with it. But every time I use it, I'll always remember how much better the initial design was :(

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@KushMastaFresh, I am in camp #3. I really dislike the new mini and have voiced my frustrations with it, but I am resigned to the high probability that little will be done to assuage our concerns.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for this. May I suggest that it is too strong to use the word 'hate'.

@HRD: You're absolutely right. You didn't say "hate", and I apologize for putting words into your mouth. Certainly some people do hate it, strongly dislike it, etc., and that's their prerogative. I wish we could please everyone, but with millions of users that's going to be impossible. So our focus has to be on things that positively impact the greatest number of people. I'm sorry that means we're haven't been making the changes to 1Password mini for the time being that you were hoping for, but we'll continue to reflect on your feedback along with everyone else's as we develop future versions. Thank you for being so passionate about 1Password!

However, the reality is this thread is 10 pages long, and I have voiced my concern on the mini's size since it was first introduced very late during the beta period on version 7. Since then nothing has happened, neither has there been any indication that the views expressed by us beta testers have been taken into account. All I am asking is for there be some statement from yourselves that our considered views are going to be addressed. If not, then we can all move on and cease troubling you on this matter. Thank you.

I first have to say that it isn't troubling to us when you and others give us feedback. Certainly we'd prefer to have positive feedback, but when we don't really we only have ourselves to blame. Sometimes we know changes we make will be divisive, and we do it because we believe it's the right thing, based on our experience, expertise, and direct feedback. Other times though it catches us off guard a bit, and I will say that the negative reaction to the new shape of 1Password mini was a bit surprising. But really, any time you change something people are accustomed to, that's a risk. So that's on us. The only way we could possibly not end up in this situation is if 1Password were perfect, and we know it's not. So the best we can do is continue working to strike the right balance for all of the wide range of 1Password users out there. I am sorry if you thought that us listening to your feedback was a guarantee that we would make the changes you want winter a specific time frame. It wasn't, but it's probably our fault too, at least to some extent, if you got that impression. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KushMastaFresh: Thanks for your honest feedback, and also your sort-of "state of the union" you just posted here in your most recent comment. I'm sorry to hear that you're still disappointed, but that the new design may have grown on you a bit. We'll continue to make some smaller changes with each update, though probably not something drastic like going back to the old UI. It was certainly really good for a certain workflow, if you didn't hit its limitations often. But we really wanted to expose more of the power of 1Password to more people in mini, and this is what we've come up with so far. There's more to come though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@verdi1987: Thanks for chiming in. Indeed, it isn't great to hear that you're "resigned" to the new 1Password mini design, but it's honest and inspires us to see if there are tweaks that we can make which will help not only you but many other 1Password users. I hope you'll be delighted by it someday, and while I can't condone going backward to accomplish that, I'll continue to advocate for us making tweaks that will help more people. :)

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, 👍

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Thanks for your response. I will not trouble you again on this matter.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right back at you. :chuffed: :+1:

• KushMastaFresh
    KushMastaFresh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Not trying to spam the thread or post something that doesn't really contribute to the topic, but I feel bad for not mentioning it before.

I appreciate all the responses and attention you and other Agilebits staff have been giving. I still think 1Password is still one of the better, if not best password managers despite how I might feel about the current revision to the mini browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KushMastaFresh: Thanks for taking the time to say so. You don't owe us that, and it's super nice to hear, especially under the circumstances. Earlier I said, "I first have to say that it isn't troubling to us when you and others give us feedback", but I forgot to finish my thought: what's troubling is when you fine folks are having trouble or are dissatisfied with 1Password. Though we won't always agree, I really wish we could please everyone. We probably can't, but we'll keep trying no matter what. Have a great weekend. :)

• dervisch
    dervisch
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

It is my first comment ever I want to write to you. Iam using 1password for almost the beginning of its appearance and so long all the steps you did were great until now ..you almost made the mini version unusable for me and I cannot understand what is going on there with you. Thanks God many users feel the same as me ..so please come back to your senses and listen ...iam a beta user from Germany and my English is a bit limited but please return to the version before 1password mini started to cover almost the whole screen and bring back the sidebar so all is at one place again..absolute catastrophy..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dervisch: Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. And no worries: your English is much better than my German. ;) I'm not sure I understand your comments in the context of this discussion though:

The 1Password mini design we introduced with the release of 1Password for Mac version 7.0, as discussed here, has a side bar, much like the main 1Password app; and actually that's something a fair number of people told us was too much, since, again, that's available in the main app already, and it takes up space in 1Password mini.

And in response to that we've been working on a new 1Password mini design that takes up even less space (though what we had already can be resized too), which is available now in beta. I'd encourage you to check that out and give us feedback on it while its in development, so we can better meet your needs along with the rest of our awesome customers:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-mac-beta

I hope anyone else with an interest in shaping the future of 1Password will do the same, and I'll close this old discussion so we can focus on moving forward, together. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.